To think you don't give a fruit pastille (sp?) to a 15 month old

(33 Posts)
StripedSofa Sun 26-May-13 12:57:05

Dsis accused me of being uptight when I wouldn't let her give DS one (not the round ones, one of those ones that comes in different shapes). She has three older kids and said they were fine. I say choking risk, she says paranoid. I'm right aren't I? And when does it become ok?

Rosa Sun 26-May-13 12:59:07

I wouldn't not a whole one anyway!

SisterMatic Sun 26-May-13 12:59:32

You are right. Eldest DC is 2 and not allowed jelly type sweets. Bad experience.

SisterMatic Sun 26-May-13 13:00:30

Although I appreciate I am paranoid about these things myself.

ots Sun 26-May-13 13:00:47

I won't give DS jelly sweets of any sort. He's just 2. I'm far from uptight and he has chocolate and other treats sometimes, but the risk of choking with jelly sweets puts me off. Not to mention the sugar. YANBU!

Smartieaddict Sun 26-May-13 13:02:08

You are both right. It is up to her what she gives her DC's and up to you what you allow yours to have. It is a choking risk at any age. My personal view is that a 15 month old that has no problems with chewing and swallowing, should be fine with it, but if it is a risk you choose not to take, then your DS is not missing out on anything important.

catgirl1976 Sun 26-May-13 13:03:33

I wouldn't. It sounds like a choking hazard to me. But I am possibly a bit PFB.

Bit pfb IMO. A child that can chew and swallow other things should be fine.

Cailinsalach Sun 26-May-13 14:29:37

I think you spell it "froot".......

(sniggers)

BrianButterfield Sun 26-May-13 14:36:29

I wouldn't and I am not pfb about food at all. Too chokey.

Pozzled Sun 26-May-13 14:44:36

Yanbu at all. My DD2 is almost 2 and I wouldn't give her a fruit pastel.

Toddlers who don't appear to have any problems chewing and swallowing can still choke. Just not worth the risk.

Slainte Sun 26-May-13 14:46:46

YANBU it's a choking hazard IMO.

Longdistance Sun 26-May-13 14:47:43

God no, not at 15 months. My dd2 is 23 months, and she was offered some gummy sweets yesterday. She spat them out, and my dd1 is 3.8 and she hates gummy sweets too.

No way!!!!! YADNBU.

IneedAsockamnesty Sun 26-May-13 14:54:54

I wouldn't yanbu

seeker Sun 26-May-13 14:55:53

Why ar jelly sweets a particular choking hazard? I can understand why hard sweets are, but why jelly ones?

elQuintoConyo Sun 26-May-13 15:01:57

Are the fruit pastilles the hard, chewy ones? Apart from difficulty chewing with few teeth and risk of choking, far far too much bloody sugar imho, yes even if it is 'just the one'. DS does get the occasional bit of chocolate despite my iron grip or a lick of ice cream. Feel free to judge me, but if someone judged me about it to my face I'd tell them to bog off!

Pozzled Sun 26-May-13 15:31:56

Seeker, it's not just hard objects- grapes are one of the worst choking hazards. Jelly sweets are similar, they can get wedged easily.

Yanbu i wouldn't, they are as hard as nails

My rule is DD (2 yo) gets nothing that is the size and shape of her trachea. YANBU. My paramedic friend has gone to lots of 'unresolved choking'. Not nice.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Sun 26-May-13 16:49:16

No way, it's a choking hazard. DS isn't allowed grapes as they are a perfect size to block off your airway. A child's airway is tiny, it doesn't take much.

JollyOrangeGiant Sun 26-May-13 16:53:14

25mo DS is not allowed jelly sweets. Or boiled sweets. Not PFB, just sensible.

My DS has got really good at jelly type things since he started nicking my haribo goldbears all the time.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem with it, as long as I was watching him but I only started giving mines them at about 18 months so am not sure at 15 months (and mines has his back teeth).

It depends on the particular child, I think.

CatsRule Sun 26-May-13 17:28:18

I wouldn't allow anyone to give them to my ds who is 15 months. He doesn't have many teeth, no back ones just 5 at the front and he chokes and retches a lot.

I suppose it depends on the child and if the parents are comfortable with it.

The grandson of a friend of my mums died choking on a grape...he was about 4 years old...much older than 15 months, had teeth and I don't personally see the difference between a grape which can be dry because of the skin and a jelly baby which is also dry!

crashdoll Sun 26-May-13 17:38:59

YADNBU or PFB. Those things are a real hazard. Plenty of time for him to rot his teeth with sweets when he's older! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now