To feel unwelcome because of this damn diet?

(57 Posts)
StupidDiet Sun 26-May-13 08:54:06

Background: I started a diet to help control endometriosis about 3 months ago, it seems to be helping a lot (well, until this month anyway) but is quite restrictive. At the moment I am essentially on a gluten-free vegan diet, with reduced refined sugar. I tried relaxing it over the last month or so but the pain, discomfort and bloating returned with a vengeance so I am back to being strict with it and then will introduce things gradually again in another couple of months. It's getting to me a bit - I have some amazing recipes, but it does make things harder especially as I have been suffering with pain again recently.

Anyway, we are down at my in-laws at the moment, and when this all started MIL (with whom I generally get on well) was lovely and read up on it a lot (and because the "resident expert" - which is a whole other thread....).

This time, I brought some stuff - I am getting into the habit of doing that - but the first meals she made were ham and cheese sandwiches for late lunch, and a dinner of spag Bol with bread and a vienetta for pudding. So basically apart from the salad and a few grapes there was no part of them that I could eat. (My mother makes sure there's always a dish in the meal that I can have, and she gets these lovely gluten-free tarts for me).

I know I am feeling touchy about all this at the moment - I hate having to think about what I eat as I never have before, and I hate causing an issue over this, but AIBU to feel a bit put out that there has been no thought for me? I probably am, I know that, and I also know that I've been a bit obsessive over it (it did help that it was working up till this month....it's amazing what an incentive pain reduction can be!). I don't expect everyone else to be as focused on it as I am - I just can't help feeling a bit confused about it!

Please tell me to get a grip!

MistyB Sun 26-May-13 17:47:38

Gywneth Paltrow's new book, it's all good, is great for really nice gluten free dairy free food and does have some vegi options.

infamouspoo Sun 26-May-13 18:05:16

you get used to it quickly rabbit, especially when you feel better. I still have a sad over nice bread though.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sun 26-May-13 18:07:41

YANBU ANY host should ensure that all guests are catered for. Once that meant I had to cater for a Muslim, a vegan and a child with an egg allergy...was a nightmare but we managed and I wouldn't dream of not having suitable food on offer!

formicadinosaur Sun 26-May-13 19:36:59

Ring you MIL and ask her what she plans to cook? Explain that you need to work out what to bring with you so that you can eat as recommended. I wouldn't be stuck catering for you, but it would just take a little thought.

formicadinosaur Sun 26-May-13 19:38:43

Bring a stash of sweet potatoes you can shove in the oven, some homemade soup or stew.

StupidDiet Sun 26-May-13 20:22:46

Some lovely ideas here, I'll definitely try the Japanese meals.

MistyB, the mousse is easy (sounds weird but tastes great) - whizz up a ripe avocado with about a tbsp of cocoa powder (I usually use cacao, the raw unprocessed version found in health stores), maple syrup, date syrup or other sweetener to taste and sometimes some vanilla, maybe coconut oil (to set it harder) or tinned coconut milk. I serve topped with berries, nots, seeds, cacao nibs - whatever I have, really. It's very open to experimentation, and you can use a mix of avocado and banana to sweeten it too.

Better this evening, was a lovely meal - I could eat everything except sausages, which I substituted for quinoa. I'm really trying not to be so touchy or take it personally.... Thank you for all replies.

Greenandcabbagelooking Sun 26-May-13 21:53:31

Ooh, that mousse does sound nice. I'm vegetarian, and so many mousses have gelatine in them. Must try that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now