to get really annoyed by middle lane drivers?

(121 Posts)
cherryade8 Sat 25-May-13 23:08:30

Drove to visit relatives today on the motorway. As usual, there were a few middle lane drivers on the motorway, who were overtaking no one other than an empty lane to the left of them. They cause tailbacks and prevent other drivers overtaking, especially when the second overtaking lane is full of cars trying to get past. Aibu to get really angry with these people?!

The middle lane is for overtaking ffs, not poodling along in whilst the lane to your left is empty sometimes I want to undertake them to demonstrate the lane they are not using in other countries, such as Australia, the police fine you if you're caught in the middle lane whilst not overtaking another vehicle, why don't the police do that here?

I know the speed limit I was making a point that which lane you are in does not depend on the speed you are travelling.

CaptainJamesTKirk Sun 26-May-13 07:48:27

Infuriates me more than anything empty first lane except the odd lorry, a jam packed middle lane and a jam packed third lane as everyone tries to overtake the middle lane hoggers!

I think there needs to be an advertising campaign. Adverts on television showing how dangerous it is might make middle lane idiots think twice! That and compulsory motorway lessons!

Sparklingbrook Sun 26-May-13 07:50:07

Oh and the hard shoulder is for emergencies only. Not for people travelling in convoys to stop for a chat, people in camper vans to have a cuppa, or for toddlers to have a wee. hmm

CaptainJamesTKirk Sun 26-May-13 07:51:59

Speaking of flashing as well. I like the German 'rule'... You get flashed it means 'Oih I'm trying to overtake get back in the non overtaking lane, you're going to slow!'. Everyone does it and it's quite effective. Here you flash anyone they're oblivious because they're happily pootling along unaware of the traffic around them.

Circaea Sun 26-May-13 07:52:17

It depends on the circumstances. If I can see cars ahead in the left lane (even far ahead) going slower than me, I'll stay in the middle lane unless I'm clearly impeding the flow of traffic.

Cars should be in the lane doing approximately the same speed as them, which for me is generally the middle unless the road is empty (if it is then I use the left).

More importantly, safe motorway driving means matching your speed to the traffic, NOT doing whatever speed YOU want to do (applies equally to too slow and too fast).

If someone is going slowly in the middle lane I just use the outside lane to overtake them - that's what it's for. Using my indicator, which apparently at least 75% of British drivers can't find.

In the rare cases when the outside lane is full, yes YANBU but the rest of the time just calm down. This kind of raginess about middle lane drivers leads to stupid behaviour - I see people tailgating in the middle lane when the outside lane is empty all the time, it's idiotic.

CaptainJamesTKirk Sun 26-May-13 07:55:47

circ then you're disobeying the highway code! Try reading it. They are overtaking lanes, there is no reason to sit in the middle lane because a car 'far ahead' is in the first lane. You get back in lane and overtake when you reach them.

lainiekazan Sun 26-May-13 08:00:34

I agree that flashing the car in front is useless. Middle-lane hoggers never look in their mirrors. Ever.

QueVes Sun 26-May-13 08:10:20

This motorway incompetence is very annoying although you'd have to say the sort of person who uses mumsnet is often the sort of person who can't drive on the motorway half-decently.

arethereanyleftatall Sun 26-May-13 08:12:25

YANBU. Agree with post on education. There are at least 3 people on this thread, hannabanana, pearly white, and corrects who genuinely don't seem to realise how dangerous it is to remain in middle lane, even if they drive at 70. their obliviousness on the road too, is what makes it so dangerous, totally unaware of traffic around them.

QueVes Sun 26-May-13 08:16:16

I'd also like to know how these people who do exactly 70 measure their speed, since a speedo displaying 70 is more likely to mean you're doing 65.

arethereanyleftatall Sun 26-May-13 08:16:18

Circea not corrects

CrackleMauve Sun 26-May-13 08:23:35

Having driven up the A1 recently, I save my rants for sodding lorry drivers failing to overtake on a 2 lane road for miles and miles. I got them all last time. Sat in the overtaking line at well below the speed limit, neck and neck with each other and a queue of traffic waiting behind.

I'm sure they do it for a laugh as the number of times the lorry in the right hand lane eventually just abandoned the attempt to overtake was ridiculous.

I also like to rage at the fuckers behind in that situation who think tailgating me when I am trying to maintain safe distance is the answer.

Sirzy Sun 26-May-13 08:51:04

It depends on the circumstances. If I can see cars ahead in the left lane (even far ahead) going slower than me, I'll stay in the middle lane

So the highway code doesn't apply to you? It is pretty clear that unless you are overtaking you move back in. if a car is "far ahead" of you then you aren't overtaking so should move back in.

RainbowsFriend Sun 26-May-13 08:55:19

Although I try not to middle lane hog, it sometimes gets really annoying when you are in the inside lane, and then need to overtake and NO BUGGER lets you out angry

After it's happened one too many times on any journey I kind of give up, and only go back into the inside lane unless there's a huuuuge gap. Not great I know, but maybe people should drive with proper gaps and let people out?

saintmerryweather Sun 26-May-13 09:15:21

if youre driving in the middle lane because youre afraid you wont get out, can you not see that youre adding to the problem by clogging up the middle lane? just stick your indicator on and wait, someone will let you out eventually

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Sun 26-May-13 09:41:25

I wonder at that too; insider lane drivers who are too timid to pull out. Indicate - you'll be let out. That's how it works. Some drivers will flash you to let you know they've seen yon, some won't, some will pull out into the third lane to make space for you. I think these drivers don't have much confidence perhaps? Most people know (and abide) by the rules, and they won't collide with you as they will expect you to pull out from an inner lane.

SinisterBuggyMonth Sun 26-May-13 10:03:23

It always amazes me the vitriol reserved for middle lane hoggers on here recently, compaired too undertaking, driving so far up someones arse they can see what they've had for dinner, weaving in and out of lanes without signalling or not letting other drivers in when trying too join the motorwey. I would advise the middle lane drivers too move and let the rest of these Clarkson wannabes speed, weave, undertake and race away until they get it all out of their system.

PearlyWhites Sun 26-May-13 10:04:24

Spotty so you think it is acceptable to speed but not ok to do the speed limit in the middle lane blush

Sparklingbrook Sun 26-May-13 10:04:50

There are some idiots that don't like letting people out though, just ignore the indicators of the person in the inside lane and sail past in the middle lane even though the outside lane is free. Some people have a 'thing' about not letting people in front of them.

Sirzy Sun 26-May-13 10:06:27

If people didn't lane hog then undertaking wouldn't be possible anyway!

PearlyWhites Sun 26-May-13 10:06:51

Arethereany left I am not unaware of other drivers ! I just drive in busy motorways full of lorrys chugging along at 60 with NO GAPS

QueVes Sun 26-May-13 10:08:55

Sinister, the difference is probably that middle lane morons have a way of attempting to justify their crap driving, whereas the others don't tend to bother defending themselves (except perhaps undertaking due to middle lane morons).

PearlyWhites Sun 26-May-13 10:11:32

Am tempted to start my own thread about a thread aibu to drive at 120 in the far right coz of all the idiots driving at the frigging speed limit in the middle lane. Even though there are no gaps in the left lane. Am guessing the consensus would be yanbu they are all twats.

Arethereany left I am not unaware of other drivers ! I just drive in busy motorways full of lorrys chugging along at 60 with NO GAPS

If there are no gaps in the left lane then you are overtaking and are correct to be in the middle lane. The OP is talking about people driving in the middle lane who aren't over taking

I think it doesn't matter what speed you're going you should be in the left hand lane unless over taking.

Also my previous comment should read 'I would drive 80 in the left hand lane' obviously I don't because I'm too busy overtaking middle lane drivers wink

I think it's the minority of idiots who weave, shoot off at exits straight across three lanes and those who don't indicate that make people so nervous of motorways, but if you're that nervous why not just stay in the left hand lane? confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now