to get really annoyed by middle lane drivers?

(121 Posts)
cherryade8 Sat 25-May-13 23:08:30

Drove to visit relatives today on the motorway. As usual, there were a few middle lane drivers on the motorway, who were overtaking no one other than an empty lane to the left of them. They cause tailbacks and prevent other drivers overtaking, especially when the second overtaking lane is full of cars trying to get past. Aibu to get really angry with these people?!

The middle lane is for overtaking ffs, not poodling along in whilst the lane to your left is empty sometimes I want to undertake them to demonstrate the lane they are not using in other countries, such as Australia, the police fine you if you're caught in the middle lane whilst not overtaking another vehicle, why don't the police do that here?

nightowlmostly Sun 26-May-13 05:25:29

Come across, not one across!

CityTiliDie Sun 26-May-13 06:18:29

I am always amazed at the number of invisible vehicles on the inside lane of the motorway. and the twats in the middle lane overtaking them.

It is an offence to stay in the middle lane, when there is no reason to be. It is dangerous as well. I know a motorway patrol cop who delights in pulling these knobs over and fining them.

Stay Left or FUCK OFF MY ROAD!!!!

PenguinBear Sun 26-May-13 06:28:59

I did a long drive yesterday and yes, there were quite a few people in the middle lane and stayed there for a 15 mile stretch. There were also a few idiots people in the outside lane, who appeared to be almost competing with people in the middle lane, I would guess they were doing 80 + 90mph respectively.

If the motorway is 4 lanes, which one(s) can you drive in? smile

StuffezLaYoni Sun 26-May-13 06:39:45

I drive from North East to Northants a few times a year, and every time without fail, there is someone whose driving literally gobsmacks me. Middle lane drivers....lorries who drive side by side in lanes one and two for two miles in a half arsed attempt to over take...

Last time was on a Bank Holiday Sunday and I was driving at a steady 70 when this ridiculous sporty car shot past me at a speed I didn't actually think was possible - I would genuinely have guessed his speed at around 150 miles an hour. I was absolutely shocked. But it did answer my question of whether the speed cameras through the midlands are actually switched on...

Bowlersarm Sun 26-May-13 06:41:14

YANBU

This is so so annoying.

Silverymoon it's illegal and extremely dangerous. Drivers cannot see you as well (bigger blind spot) and will not be expecting someone to be undertaking. Please don't do it.

YANBU OP I hate this. Who cares if you're going 70? confusedI travel in the left hand lane at 80 if there's no one to overtake. It's not a slow lane fast lane thing they're for overtaking!! angryangry

Sparklingbrook Sun 26-May-13 07:04:09

I had to drive for miles on a motorway yesterday. It was grim.

The 'keep two chevrons apart' must be just for me because no other driver bothered. Ditto the 50 mph average speed limit through the non existent roadworks.

Everyone driving far too close and braking the whole time. angry

Bajillions of caravans too. It was so busy the middle lane thing didn't really apply but it winds me up.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Sun 26-May-13 07:13:26

I don't get why this is so difficult to understand!

The middle lane is for overtaking, if there's a gap in the left hand lane or if the left lane is empty you get back in it.

What you don't do is pootle along in the middle lane oblivious, so that left hand lane drivers then have to get into the far right lane to overtake you.

It's really not that difficult!

MrsSparkles Sun 26-May-13 07:19:03

YADNBU! My DH always hogs the outside lane when he drives and we spend the whole journey arguing about it.

To those saying but I'm driving the speed limit - its got nothing to do with speed, you drive in the farthest lane to the left that you can, only moving out if you need to overtake.

I never specifically pull into the left had lane to undertake, however IMO opinion if the traffic in the left hand lane is moving faster than the middle lane which is a very regular occurrence then that isn't undertaking.

Jollyb Sun 26-May-13 07:22:53

Silverymoon - please have a motorway lesson. Becoming 'freaked out' when driving on a fast road isn't a good thing. I found my lesson really helpful and still use some of the tips 18 years later.

Not keen on middle lane drivers either. My stepfather does this as he prefers not to have to change lanes.

barefootwalker Sun 26-May-13 07:27:12

I currently do a lot of motorways driving and this gets me really frustrated. It's not a speed thing. The two outside lanes are both for overtaking. If you aren't overtaking anything then you should pull left regardless of what speed you are doing. I really don't understand why this rule is so hard for people to understand. I regularly find myself (particularly on a Sunday evening for some reason) having to move across all three lanes, out and back, to overtake someone sitting in the middle lane.

Sirzy Sun 26-May-13 07:28:19

Pobble is spot on.

It really winds me up and there is no excuse for it. Move out overtake and then move back in - simple!

Calabria Sun 26-May-13 07:28:44

I drove from Scotland to the south of England during the Easter holidays and mostly the lane discipline was pretty good.

Until I got to about 10 miles from my destination. The rain had started to pour down very heavily and some idiot decided it would be a good idea to drive at 45 mph in the middle lane of the A1. So I ended up driving at the same speed in the inside lane as there was no way I was going to try and overtake them in heavy traffic and poor visibility.

WarmFuzzyFun Sun 26-May-13 07:28:44

Whenever I go on the motorway the volume of traffic means that left lane and sometimes the middle lanes are full.

So unless I am driving at night, this is a non issue for me.

Sparklingbrook Sun 26-May-13 07:31:06

Also yesterday at some points yesterday all 3 lanes were stationary. When they moved a little there was lots of lane changing being attempted. What's that all about? confused

saintmerryweather Sun 26-May-13 07:31:25

i live near the start of a motorway, you can always tell who the twats are that dont read the signs, they come down the slip road and immediately move into the middle lane even though the slip joins the motorway to become the third lane. twats.
if someone is lane hogging slowly in heavy traffic i do sometimes sidle past them on the inside

saintmerryweather Sun 26-May-13 07:33:20

sparkling these people are all busy and important and they need those 5 seconds of extra time that changing lanes will bring them. but then everyone piling into the faster queue only slows.it down!

Sirzy Sun 26-May-13 07:33:24

Sparkling - that always amuses me, it's as if they can't stand not being in the fastest moving traffic even if that is only a few seconds at 2 mph

Anifrangapani Sun 26-May-13 07:35:03

I do an early morning motorway commute which is normally free flowing but occasionally there are slow patches caused by middle lane hoggers. Traffic is going along at 70 - 75 mph and then breaks to wait for a gap on the right. Everyone sees the breaklights and breaks which creates a concertina in the traffic behind. As more and more traffic joins the motorway in the slow patches it becomes slower and slower.

My other bugbear is people who pull into the middle lane for no reason when they are going at 50 mph. It is usually as they are comming up to a junction just in case a car is joining the motorway. At that speed by pulling out you make it more difficult for joining traffic.

BlackholesAndRevelations Sun 26-May-13 07:36:12

The one and only time I have ever flashed at anyone in annoyance was on the motorway- little car doing 50 in the middle lane. They moved back into the left straight away. I know it's aggressive (and I felt bad) but people driving too slowly on motorways have got to be almost as dangerous as people driving too fast. People dont observe the 2 second rule/2 chevrons, so there'll be sudden braking and goodness knows what if you have plodders who really should find alternative routes.

lainiekazan Sun 26-May-13 07:38:38

This winds me up too.

Habitual offenders are old guys in hats driving Honda Civics, and 55-year-old women in building society uniforms in Polos, clutching the wheel like grim death. The latter have probably never filled up with petrol themselves and won't parallel park.

Sparklingbrook Sun 26-May-13 07:40:17

I don't understand why people don't obey the 'keep 2 chevrons apart' thing. I was doing my best but people kept pulling into my gap so to speak. angry

The stationary lane changing was being done solely by male drivers from what I saw, bit like guessing the fastest moving checkout at the supermarket.

SoupDragon Sun 26-May-13 07:42:20

I travel in the left hand lane at 80 if there's no one to overtake.

Do you think that makes you a better driver? You do realise the speed limit is 70 don't you?

SoupDragon Sun 26-May-13 07:46:11

I find it hilarious that someone holds up their own illegal driving as an example of how they drive better than someone else driving illegally.

FlysInDreams Sun 26-May-13 07:47:15

YANBU. The Highway Code says 'You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should move back to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past.'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now