To hate football and the amount of TV coverage it gets...

(112 Posts)
Gingefringe Sat 25-May-13 19:01:59

Just switched on to ITV and guess what - some European cup final with two German teams!! I really dislike football and wonder whether anyone really gives a shit cares about a game like this in the UK?
Why does football coverage get preference over everything else?
I'll be on MN tonight.

Redbindy Sun 26-May-13 18:23:15

Those misogynistic Arsenal girls won a cup today. That was on TV.

Bowlersarm Sun 26-May-13 18:18:19

mardybra very sexist. Many women enjoy football, plus other sports on tv.

BackforGood Sun 26-May-13 17:47:49

Thin is MardyBra, there's actually FAR less football on the TV each week than there is soaps, for example. I suspect less than those gormless reality / "celebrity" / screaming and voting programmes. (Possibly unless you pay extra for Sky Sports, which is then something you've opted into).
I would also suggest that the advertisers control the vast majority of TV programming, whatever their gender, not some random men who think they will put football on because they happen to like it.

MardyBra Sun 26-May-13 17:40:45

Thinking about it, football is predominantly enjoyed by men (I know there are exceptions). Men still predominantly control the agenda in TV programming (again I am sure there are exceptions). No wonder there is so much footie on telly.

MardyBra Sun 26-May-13 17:38:58

"Mardybra- People don't care about the arts to the extent that people care about football."

I'm not just talking about "highbrow" arts, I'm talking about books, music, telly, cinema, as well as theatre.

And anyway, you've missed the point of my post that just because Bowler's DS is working hard at a particular career doesn't mean that the rest of us should be inflicted with disproportionate coverage of it in the media.

Thisvehicleisreversing Sun 26-May-13 17:38:02

Sorry pressed send too soon

I took exception to that suggestion.
Someone else earlier had said that they believed football was a 'misogynistic' game and footballers were 'misogynistic' so I used that quote sarcastically, hence the hmm at the end.

If however that wasn't meant for me then please ignore me smile

Thisvehicleisreversing Sun 26-May-13 17:33:24

ComposHat I don't know if that was aimed at me or not as those were the words I used at the end of my post.

I was in fact replying to an earlier post that suggested that female presenters were only used to draw in female viewers. I too took rxcepti

ComposHat Sun 26-May-13 16:23:33

And footballers and football fans are misogynistic

I really do take exception to that, I am an ardent football fan and a feminist. I don't see how a preference for a particular sport makes you a misogynist.

Care to explain?

(Unless you count lapdancing as a sport)

CherylTrole Sun 26-May-13 16:13:54

I cant stand football and the Beckhams. Nuff said.

Ilikethebreeze Sun 26-May-13 16:05:51

I think TV programmes on the whole, appeal to women more than men, especially the evening programmes.

Wereonourway Sun 26-May-13 16:01:25

As others have said, people are entitled to their opinions.

I love football, hate hate hate soaps. I cannot understand why people watch them at all but I know they do, and they enjoy them, so I don't knock them, or spend anytime getting worked up by them being on. I just switch over.

Surely it's about freedom of choice, and as far as I can see, there's 999 channels offering a fairly wide choice

OliviaMMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 26-May-13 15:20:27

Wereonourway

There's not that much football on tv other than sky, and you will be glad to hear there will be no more til August after tonight grin

That is the thing that irks me. It is a WINTER sport but we only have 2 and a half months respite from it. (less if there is a sodding world cup or something)

QueVes Sun 26-May-13 15:04:58

BTW the game last night was the champions league final, the biggest club game in Europe. And panzers are no longer seen on the streets of Germany, so Brits are allowed to watch German teams. HTH.

QueVes Sun 26-May-13 15:02:03

Football is only broadcast to fill the gaps in the programming that they are unable to fill due to running out of geographic locations to make another TOWIE type show about. Perhaps you should buy some box sets of some of the US versions OP.

hopipolla Sun 26-May-13 15:00:03

Mardybra- People don't care about the arts to the extent that people care about football.

themaltesecat Sun 26-May-13 14:50:25

Football is about the only thing we turn on the TV for.

MardyBra Sun 26-May-13 13:12:29

It's lovely that your DS is working hard to be a footballer Bowlers but it doesn't mean that we should be inflicted with news of his sport every time we are exposed to the media. What about people who are working hard to excel in the arts - an equally difficult market to crack but much more insightful and life-enhancing (imho) than watching others playing a game. And there are lots of other important careers - science, medicine, teaching, to many to list - that are demanding. But we don't have parents demanding that they are reported incessantly in the news.

Bowlersarm Sun 26-May-13 12:55:29

My DS1 working flipping hard to become a pro footballer. It is extremely extremely hard. Are you in a career where you do not have to be the best in your area, but you have to be the best in the country?

Then you have to be the best in the world.

It is no easy ride.

Chanatan Sun 26-May-13 12:48:54

A stupid, pointless "sport" full of overpaid, nasty, racist, misogynistic, homophobic throwbacks labouring under the mistaken impression that anyone actually gives a fuck about them.,nothing like a bit of generalisation.

Bowlersarm Sun 26-May-13 12:44:34

rhonda am agreeing with you. Britains got talent=shite. Would rather watch any sport over that.

mayorquimby Sun 26-May-13 12:39:31

Just saw posts saying women's final is on today.
Must give it a try partly to stave off withdrawal symptoms and partly to see how the women's game is progressing.
Is it on tv?

It's yet to grab me, gave the last World Cup a serious amount of time but hopefully it's improved since then. Although it was mainly the shbic hope Powell who turned me off last time

mayorquimby Sun 26-May-13 12:34:35

"under the mistaken impression that anyone actually gives a fuck about them"

You may hate it but its clearly not a mistaken impression.
Vast numbers of the population clearly give a fuck.
Great day of sport yesterday. Cracking rabo final in the rugby then a gripping CL final

hopipolla Sun 26-May-13 12:07:01

Football is on because it interests a significant proportion of the population, England games in major tournaments have got audiences in excess of 20 million in the past. Its not as if its just this country, its very popular in almost every country in the world. If you don't like it watch or do something else

MardyBra Sun 26-May-13 11:05:06

YANBU. I really resent the amount of time given to sports coverage on the news and other media. Why do we have to endure a significant segment of every bulletin being devoted what is essentially a hobby.

mrsjay Sun 26-May-13 11:02:02

we ended up watching Brave dd got it for her birthday and I hadn't seen what a great film it is and i cried blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now