To think farmers work too hard?

(221 Posts)
Ladyflip Sat 25-May-13 17:47:54

I am a farmer's wife. From last Saturday to yesterday my DH has worked 108 hours out of a possible 168. He is still at work now. He hasn't had a whole day without going to work since October last year. He worked 351 days out of a possible 365 last year, including Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year. This is standard for our life.

I get very frustrated at our lack of family life and holiday. He gets very tired and irritable. I know I am not the only farmer's wife to find rearing a family with a farming DH difficult. But I get more frustrated at people telling me how hard they work when they have no idea what real hard work is like. Yes teachers, I'm talking about you bellyaching at working 60 hours a week and having lots of holidays.

Yes I'm pissed off. It's Bank Holiday and I have barely seen my DH except to put meals in front of him. Flame away.

Ladyflip Sat 25-May-13 19:11:05

Janey. You clearly have an issue with my daring to mention teachers. I have already apologised. I am not trying to bash teachers. I don't feel the need to apologise again. I am also not trying to make this about you.

Yes, I was moaning. No, its not a competition. But interestingly, I have been supported in this thread by other farmer's wives who also find it hard. Because I really believe that farmers work much harder than most people and because they are not vocal about it, others are generally not aware of the demanding nature of the job. Most people say "oh, what a wonderful place for the children to grow up". Well, maybe, at the expense of hardly ever seeing your Dad and rarely getting time together as a family. Yes, the children and I could go away, and sometimes do. But we would actually like some time together as a family too.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KingRollo Sat 25-May-13 19:14:22

KingRollo Sat 25-May-13 19:17:33

StuntGirl Sat 25-May-13 19:18:20

I don't think for a second that farmers have an easy life.

I assume it was his choice to go into farming? By way of a family discussion working out how it would impact the family? If so, stop whining. If not, there's your problem.

kim147 Sat 25-May-13 19:18:50

Farmers do have loads to do - based on my knowledge of the Archers.

Getting up with the sun and all that. Worrying about the weather and having to take full advantage when the conditions are right.

Bloody hard work.

Ladyflip Sat 25-May-13 19:21:06

Now, that really is a fair point Lunatic. And its something LRD alluded to; he is in control and therefore should have control over what he does. And as Rat and Kingrollo also nearly said, at least its work.

I would prefer this to a zero hours minimum wage contract, yes. But although he is not technically a wage slave, he is a slave to the weather, which has no legislation to govern it. And the other thing about farmers is that they often work with family, and there are lots of pressures to do with that which are mainly unspoken but which we mere wage slaves don't have.

KingRollo Sat 25-May-13 19:23:14

LadyBeagleEyes Sat 25-May-13 19:24:55

Yes farmers do work hard, but not vocal about it?
They're some of the biggest moaners of them all.

Ladyflip Sat 25-May-13 19:25:45

I love the Archers too grin

And I never know how Pat and Tony manage to have a shop, a veg box scheme, dairy cows, a yogurt and ice cream business and now ready meals with just 4 of them plus a few extras!

kim147 Sat 25-May-13 19:27:27

Feels the need to mention sausages and ready meals.

DoTheBestThingsInLifeHaveFleas Sat 25-May-13 19:28:25

Havn't read the whole thread, so apologies if I have missed something, but this is a big bug bear for me. Farmers work REALLY hard. Dairy farmers the most. If you are farming animals the profit margin is soooooo tiny, and affording staff is a luxury. Nearly all the farming families I grew up with have now diverified and just farm as a hobby on the side. Yes it is something they 'choose' to go into I suppose. But really when it is in your blood, and its a generations old family business, its hard to chuck it all in and work somewhere else. Urrrr where or what that something else might be I don't know, either. Sorry for the rant, it's just that I constantly have to justify how hard my 'farmer friends' work to all my town dwelling friends who are in sales or management and bleat on constantly about how stressed and overworked they are, whilst we are all supping wine in the sunshine, before heading off on a mini break for the weekend. I know they are just unwinding, but when they complain a tractor has held them up in traffic or 5 mins I want to scream!!!!

kim147 Sat 25-May-13 19:28:31

It's quieter in winter, isn't it?

Mind you, that's based on a Tractor Ted video showing the seasons.

abitlikemollflanders Sat 25-May-13 19:29:30

had plenty of sympathy Until I read the teachers comment. Then the holiday they are all having this week. I know plenty of teachers and they all seem to be writing reports this week so don't confuse the children being off with the teachers being on holiday!

The suggestion about farmhands not having the same time off should help surely?

Ashoething Sat 25-May-13 19:30:24

Farmers don't moan? don't make me laugh-they are never off the tv whinging about something-and again they are subsidised! I have never met a poor farmer btw.

If you are a partner in a law firm you must make a very nice living so surely can easily afford a holiday with dcs without dh?<would be living the high life if my dh were ever a partner>

DoTheBestThingsInLifeHaveFleas Sat 25-May-13 19:31:18

p.s. Not bashing sales people or stressed managers (I am both), just saying that farmers get a hard deal :@)

Ladyflip Sat 25-May-13 19:33:21

Kim. It's actually worse in winter. Cows in sheds need mucking out twice daily as well as milking, whereas in summer cows are outside so don't need to scrape.

Summer tends to have peaks and troughs; so silaging and harvesting are busy but otherwise tends to be quieter for dairy.

Hello DO the best things! Enjoy ranting...someone will be here to flame us again soon grin

Ladyflip Sat 25-May-13 19:35:52

A shoe thing, do you like going on holiday without your DH?

KingRollo Sat 25-May-13 19:36:24

abitlikemollflanders Sat 25-May-13 19:36:29

rom your later posts you seem to be annoyed because the perception people have of farming is very different from the reality yet you go on to mention the perception people have of teachers-that you must see is equally wrong.
Looking in as an outsider most jobs seem to compare favourably to your own, it is only when you live the reality that you understand the stresses/difficulties. that is why you are so defensive about farming but equally itis why other people get annoyed at the perception people seem to hold of teachers or doctors or retail workers etc...

Ashoething Sat 25-May-13 19:37:21

I would bloody love to go on holiday without my dh!

Ps-you didn't answer my question about the oodles you must earn as a partner in a law firm?

Ashoething Sat 25-May-13 19:39:26

No I ont know many-I only know 3. But the 3 of them are loaded. But I grew up right next to a farm and the farmer was a twat so it may have coloured my views. Still don't believe there is such a thing as a poor farmer.

Besides as a partner in law firm surely her dh doesn't need to work all those hours as his wife will be earning a fair whack?

KingRollo Sat 25-May-13 19:41:17

KingRollo Sat 25-May-13 19:42:06

maudpringle Sat 25-May-13 19:43:03

No body else works harder than a farmer.Fact.
They are always poor too (driving to market in brand/nearly new landrover)
<Spent childhood in farming area>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now