Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think farmers work too hard?

(220 Posts)
Ladyflip Sat 25-May-13 17:47:54

I am a farmer's wife. From last Saturday to yesterday my DH has worked 108 hours out of a possible 168. He is still at work now. He hasn't had a whole day without going to work since October last year. He worked 351 days out of a possible 365 last year, including Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year. This is standard for our life.

I get very frustrated at our lack of family life and holiday. He gets very tired and irritable. I know I am not the only farmer's wife to find rearing a family with a farming DH difficult. But I get more frustrated at people telling me how hard they work when they have no idea what real hard work is like. Yes teachers, I'm talking about you bellyaching at working 60 hours a week and having lots of holidays.

Yes I'm pissed off. It's Bank Holiday and I have barely seen my DH except to put meals in front of him. Flame away.

KingRollo Sat 25-May-13 18:25:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

janey68 Sat 25-May-13 18:25:29

You're the one moaning actually- not your husband! And what's to stop you using your leave to go on holiday? You're not joined at the hip with him. If he found it that bad he could always retrain as a solicitor !

squeakytoy Sat 25-May-13 18:25:36

Domino makes a good point. As you are clearly bringing in a decent wage, why can the family not afford to employ more help?

digerd Sat 25-May-13 18:28:40

I lived in Germany in a farming comunity. They were all family run small farmers and passed down to the son who wanted to take it on.
They had large subsidies from the government though, as far as finances went, but none was wealthy, infact they all looked poor to me

They worked very hard and the farmer's wife was just that.

My neighbour didn't want that life, but 2 aunties were still helping out in their late 90's.

WorraLiberty Sat 25-May-13 18:28:49

It's not a competition OP

If people moan they work hard then they mean it's hard for them

They're not going to suddenly think, "Oh wait, there's a farmer working harder...phew what was I moaning about?"

Ladyflip Sat 25-May-13 18:30:10

Clearly you know nothing about working in a small rural practice in a market town then dominodonkey if you think I work in one of the most overpaid professions in the country. I am paid far less than you would think.

I didn't say teachers don't deserve a weeks holiday. I think all people who have a job deserve paid holiday.

EdvardMonsterMunch Sat 25-May-13 18:30:23

I'm married to a farmer (beef cattle and cereals) and i'm a teacher !!
I know what you mean about the long hours, my DH usually does a 14 hour day with work also on weekends.
It's shit.
There again, it's a choice. They could give up the whole shebang and get an ordinary job for alot more money.
They choose to do it and in turn sacrifice normal family lives.
What do you do? Leave ?

janey68 Sat 25-May-13 18:32:43

Do teachers get paid holidays? hmm

Ladyflip Sat 25-May-13 18:33:46

Edvard, thank you. Do we leave? Do we make them quit what they love? Presumably teachers who moan aren't about to leave their job?

theodorakisses Sat 25-May-13 18:34:36

I would never say teachers shouldn't get the holidays. I am married to one and have briefly been one. However, farming is a bit the same in its intensity and is not acknowledged.

WandOfElderNeverProsper Sat 25-May-13 18:40:20

Well I work in retail, and we all know that's the hardest job of all

violin music

... 148h per week opening times, horrible customers, minimum wage, only the minimum annual leave per year which we can't take as all our low hour contracts mean we can't afford to take the holiday...

ahem grin

Not a competition. But fwiw you may have been able to get a bit more sympathy had you not mentioned teachers in your OP wink

Ladyflip Sat 25-May-13 18:43:14

Yes I see that now Wanda!

And actually, that's one benefit I can see with farming; no horrible customers!!! Lucky bastards grin

janey68 Sat 25-May-13 18:44:24

I think this is just a thinly veiled teacher bashing thread tbh. You know, what with it being half term.

If we're going to make it a competition, personally I'd find managing 180 cows preferable to 180 teenagers..

ShellyBoobs Sat 25-May-13 18:48:06

Do teachers get paid holidays?

Yes, they do.

Lots of them.

KingRollo Sat 25-May-13 18:48:54

Euphemia Sat 25-May-13 18:49:12

No we don't - our salary is spread out over 12 months, but we don't get paid for the holidays.

EdvardMonsterMunch Sat 25-May-13 18:49:17

I don't think OP is teacher bashing (are you ?).

KingRollo Sat 25-May-13 18:49:29

Sallyingforth Sat 25-May-13 18:52:02

Talking of hours worked, my neighbour is a partner in a GP practice. He nominally works four days a week but it's amazing how little time he spends there even on those days. And of course he's opted out of on-call services.

lilystem Sat 25-May-13 18:54:15

I'm a farmers wife too lady flip. I do think they work too hard and totally agree that a lot of people these days dont know the meaning of proper hard work. However, I do think farmers can be a bit of a matyr to the job and sometimes choose to make life difficult.

Lrd makes some interesting points about farmers wives and everything revolving round the man - my dh wanted one of those wives but he got me - I too am a farmer with my own farm so when he expects his tea on the table at 6pm I'm out fertilising/combining/drilling -we're not long married and its making for some interesting negotiations re housework and childcare!

Ashoething Sat 25-May-13 18:54:28

He is subsidised by the government so meh. My dh is a lawyer so if you are a partner you are laughing.First world problems.

janey68 Sat 25-May-13 18:55:15

So teachers don't get paid holidays! The OP can't even get her facts straight lol

EdvardMonsterMunch Sat 25-May-13 18:56:40

They are subsidised because without subsidies they couldn't effin survive!
(and you couldn't buy your ciabatta from Waitrose of a Satday !!)

lilystem Sat 25-May-13 18:58:59

Ash not all farmers are subsidised. Pig and poultry don't get anything.

RatRatRat Sat 25-May-13 19:04:52

My DH works excessive hours seven days per week as a builder but at least gets Christmas Day off.. grin

It's tough, especially when you have children but at the same time I'm thankful there is so much work. Otherwise it'd be beans on toast all round.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now