to think that at a children's disco, boys and girls shouldn't be encouraged to judge each other on their looks - hot or not stylie.

(51 Posts)
EightToSixer Sat 25-May-13 16:32:53

DD has just come back from a kids birthday party - they are all year 6 so 10-11 years old.

Apart from the standard dance-offs etc, the children were encouraged to stand in an arch (boys) and for the girls to dance under the arch and when the music stops, be captured and judged by thumbs up - hot and thumbs down - not (ugly) by the boys that captured them.

Am I alone in thinking that its entirely unacceptable to judge pubescent children - who in Year 6 are just learning about sex-ed, just getting their first bras etc - on their looks alone in a party format.

Willing to accept the judgement of mumsnet if I'm being overly precious about this, but surely, public appreciation/mocking of appearance in such an organised setting isn't really to be encouraged among children?

ZZZenagain Sat 25-May-13 16:36:12

no, that is pathetic

Tailtwister Sat 25-May-13 16:37:48

YANBU, that's horrible!

gordyslovesheep Sat 25-May-13 16:38:45

yanbu - that is vile

EightToSixer Sat 25-May-13 16:39:01

I do hope I'm not in denial about DD growing up or anything. I just remembered that in my Year 7 geography trip, some of the kids played spin the bottle and kissed, and she's only 6 months off that age... but it's the public judgement aspect more than anything that gets to me.

MrsMcEnroe Sat 25-May-13 16:40:00

YANBU. What a horrific thing to do.

Fuck's sake. Who organised the judging? If it was a parent they should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

scaevola Sat 25-May-13 16:43:52

Yuk.

With the prevalence of shows in which the audience votes for people, I wouldn't have been surprised if children that age came up with something like that off their own bat. But my reaction would be to divert them on to something else (if I noticed, at that age supervision is looser). To encourage it seems like madness.

BackforGood Sat 25-May-13 16:44:23

YANBU - that really is vile. At any age or stage of life that is vile.
Who on earth got them to do that ?

Hummuschocolate Sat 25-May-13 16:44:37

YADNBU, it wouldn't be particularly fun if it was adults involved imo but with children its awful.

pictish Sat 25-May-13 16:44:54

Dreadful - entertainment from the dark ages that is.

Floggingmolly Sat 25-May-13 16:46:40

That is vile! shock

TheHonourableAlgyLacey Sat 25-May-13 16:51:19

That's appalling! Are you sure she hasn't got it muddled, though?

lljkk Sat 25-May-13 17:01:33

yanbu, rather immature. Though it's the age, they are doing a lot of this spontaneously. Don't need to be taught it. My cohort were the same.

lljkk Sat 25-May-13 17:01:53

(meant immature of any adult to encourage it)

Euphemia Sat 25-May-13 17:04:44

Good grief that's disgusting. My DD is that age and self-conscious, easily embarrassed and very sensitive about whether she's pretty, fat, etc.

I'd be raging if she came back from a disco where that happened.

EstelleGetty Sat 25-May-13 17:08:43

That's disgusting. Girls (and boys) are already getting so self-conscious at that age. I hope none of them were upset by it. You really would have to hold me back from decking the idiot who devised that game.

catgirl1976 Sat 25-May-13 17:30:37

YANBU - Was that really adult suggested / sanctioned?

shock

SoleSource Sat 25-May-13 17:34:50

Vile

Yanbu

TheCrackFox Sat 25-May-13 17:44:32

YANBU

I would seriously complain.

EightToSixer Sat 25-May-13 17:45:47

Well I'm glad I'm not over-thinking it.
As far as I can tell none of the parents there were very involved, I dropped DD and friends off and friends mum picked them up but didn't know anything until we got them home.
I might write a letter to ths DJ, who is local and does all the school discos too and give him the opinion of mothers of girls this age and see what he says. I don't want other children at parties to be upset.

sue52 Sat 25-May-13 17:50:32

YANBU. I'd be fuming. Girls do not need this. Would it be worth having a word to the parent who booked this DJ? She might not know this took place.

LovelyMarchHare Sat 25-May-13 17:53:06

dreadful. What a completely terrible idea.

Helpyourself Sat 25-May-13 17:57:14

Horrible. sad

LineRunner Sat 25-May-13 18:06:45

Who on earth booked this DJ and let it happen?

He is a twat.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 25-May-13 18:13:48

That's really horrible. School discos weren't like that when I was that age (2000). Children can be cruel enough without adults encouraging it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now