Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Inlaws threw away my kettle

(159 Posts)
ZenGardener Sat 25-May-13 09:45:59

I had to go away for work so my inlaws came to stay to watch the kids which was very nice of them BUT I came back and they have bought a new kettle and toaster. I'm not bothered about the toaster but I'm fucking fuming about the kettle. They have taken the old ones away with them.

There was nothing wrong with my kettle, it was old but perfectly fine. They bought a fancy smancy one. I don't need a fancy kettle, I just need something to boil water.

I appreciate I'm tired, pregnant and have a headache but isn't that really rude?

Zen,

With the best will in the world - you can't work the kettle yet??! SUrely you just fill it with water, plug it in, and press the button? grin

seeker Sat 25-May-13 10:12:59

Or you could ring them up and shout at them. How very dare they try to do something nice for you?

I came home from work once and my FIL had fitted new carpet in our living room for us. It was wonderful.

seeker Sat 25-May-13 10:14:05

Not being able to work a kettle is the worse case of pregnancy brain I have ever heard of!!!!!!!!

LIZS Sat 25-May-13 10:14:08

Ring them up and ask if they left them by mistake ? How odd and controlling not to ask first confused

Jins Sat 25-May-13 10:15:01

I wouldn't be bothered by the kettle but the towels would be returned.

If you let one pastel flowery towel pass then people think you like them.

squeakytoy Sat 25-May-13 10:15:18

you cant work a kettle??? how difficult is it confused

Mindyourownbusiness Sat 25-May-13 10:15:49

Can they come and stay at mine for a while ?

Here's a list to make it easier for them:

I need:

New microwave - old one is all rusted in corners inside from me not cleaning it thoroughly enough

New blender - one of the whisk things keeps flying off and frightening the dog ( till he regroups and realises he's covered in delicious cake mix. grin )

New matching Tea Coffee Sugar containers - old matching ones have a dented lid on one and if you put the dented one on the Tea one it screws round to the back so doesn't matter. But if you put it on the Sugar one it ends up at the front. But if you swap the Coffee and..........oh never mind, just get me new ones ffs ok!!

We are going away in July - hope that suits ok.

IKnowWhat Sat 25-May-13 10:16:47

They were just being nice. I would invite them to stay again and give them a shopping list grin

ZenGardener Sat 25-May-13 10:18:02

We live in Japan. It has 6 buttons on it. I found the 'lock' button now so can get it to open. Not sure what all the other buttons are for.

ZenGardener Sat 25-May-13 10:18:55

Do you need some lovely pastel flowery towels too? Don't worry none of them match ;)

ZenGardener Sat 25-May-13 10:20:04

Maybe next time I visit them I will sneakily replace their kettle and steal their old one.

That would piss them off SO much!!

ArtexMonkey Sat 25-May-13 10:22:29

Oh come now, you can never have too many towels.

IKnowWhat Sat 25-May-13 10:23:20

A kettle with SIX buttons

That's not just any old kettle!

envy

brew brew brew

Jins Sat 25-May-13 10:23:45

You can have two many flowery pastel towels. One for example.

IKnowWhat Sat 25-May-13 10:24:41

Ohh, it's got a 'hold temp' button. That would actually be useful. hmm

Jins Sat 25-May-13 10:26:32

I'm pretty firm with mil about the shite she feels the need to fill my house with and it always goes back with her in the car.

If I'm not in and she leaves it then I bin it.

My house is a long way from how I'd like it and its not helped by truckloads of stuff I don't want or need arriving.

IKnowWhat Sat 25-May-13 10:27:47

Whoa! For £190 you can have 7 buttons. See this 7 button'er on Amazon

7 buttons! shock

HelloBear Sat 25-May-13 10:28:30

Photos of towels needed I feel?

thebody Sat 25-May-13 10:28:31

Sorry op but this thread has made me laugh.

Especially when you just discovered the towels.

I bet they mean well so bite back but agree it is controlling.

Pigsmummy Sat 25-May-13 10:29:25

How can you not work a kettle?

You are being ungrateful but you know that, you don't have to use the towels and do ask where the old kettle is saying that you need a spare?

SgtTJCalhoun Sat 25-May-13 10:30:15

No it's not nice. It's controlling. "Thid is what WE like and we want here when we come to visit because you're getting it all wrong with YOUR choice of kettle and toaster."

I probably wouldn't say anything, would be happy with a nice new kettle and toaster but that would be why my in laws would have done it.

Elquota Sat 25-May-13 10:30:35

YANBU. Definitely too forward and overstepping the mark.

If they wanted to say thank you they could have given you wine/chocolate/flowers.

Buying you household stuff does give the message "we didn't think your kettle/towels" were good enough - so yes it's rude. Double points for impoliteness for throwing away something of yours without asking!

Elquota Sat 25-May-13 10:31:39

I wonder what their reaction would be if you replaced their saucepans/tea towels/cushions next time you visited them grin

If you really want to kick up a fuss, the small print on that kettle states:

"This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm."
(From the review of the bottom of that Ask.com page)

Do they know this? Are they telling you to not have any more children! shock

SarahAndFuck England Sat 25-May-13 10:34:15

My in-laws sold my dog when I was pregnant.

They had a friend all set to drive 300 miles to come and take her away.

There was rage you have never seen the like of before in our house that afternoon.

We still have the dog. But I've ditched the in-laws. grin

I quite like the sound of your kettle, but I can see why you aren't happy about them replacing yours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now