to think Lelli kelly shoes are in fact the work of the devil

(123 Posts)
ChairmanoftheBored Sat 25-May-13 07:24:51

NOT toddler reins as previously suggested. The advert for Lelli Kelly shoes is just awful. Little girls running around in a completely pink set, with overpriced sandals on. But its all good, 'cos you get a free pink, flashing, sparkly cupcake with pink lipgloss in!!!!!!
Argggggg!!!!!!! What a bloody joke.
Of course my DD who is 5, now really wants a pair! That's what you get for putting on milkshake for DC on a Saturday morning so you can come on Mumsnet! Naughty, naughty Mummy. grin

freddiefrog Sat 25-May-13 10:50:00

My girls have had a couple of pairs of their school shoes. They're great quality and lasted ages, they've been passed down my girls, and they're nowone working through my neighbour's 2 girls. They weren't much more £ than Clarkes and aren't sparkly or sequinned to within an inch of their lives.

DD2 has a unicorn vomit pair, she's never seen a LK advert and wasn't interested in all the free crap that came with them. She saw them in John Lewis and fell in love at first sight.

wickedwithofthenorth Sat 25-May-13 11:54:13

No comment on the quality of the shoes but the ad makes me cringe and shout at the tv.
Any shoe that encourages children to want to wear odd shoes is clearly the work of the devil. It's hard enough to get 3 year olds to select their own matching named identical shoes. Ones that look like they should belong to another pair would have me tearing my hair out, then add in the little ones who will just start to randomly select shoes to wear.

DontMeanToBeRudeBut Sat 25-May-13 12:33:10

DS would love a pair of unicorn vomit shoes. He asks for a pink pair every time we go shoe shopping and I feel really mean buying him sludge-coloured 'boy' shoes sad Ho hum.

Kitchencupboards Sat 25-May-13 12:40:52

I love them and they were the second pair of shoes I bought my DD. They looked gorgeous with all her clothes, washed brilliantly in the machine and were passed on. She also received several pairs of hand me down ones in perfect condition.

dinkystinky Sat 25-May-13 13:35:26

Dontmeantoberude - your Ds sounds like my ds2! I find him easy to appease with other pink spatkly craft stuff instead.

HandMini Sat 25-May-13 13:39:09

They're so terrible, and call me a massive snob if you wish I could to believe the hundreds of pairs they have on display in John Lewis...all so tacky and gross.

Rockdoctor Sat 25-May-13 13:44:28

I hate the marketing with a vengeance, but DD finally got a pair courtesy of the grandparents - and I have to agree with what others have said about the quality. Her sandals are about to go into their second summer (if we ever get summer that is...), and on that basis I actually agreed to buy her a pair of shoes earlier this year. The sales assistant recommended going up half a size and using insoles so that we get a couple of years wear out of them. I draw the line at pink with pink sequins, so she has a limited selection of designs to choose from, and the plastic tat usually ends up in the bin within a day or two.

ariane5 Sat 25-May-13 13:59:02

YABU. I like them

If dd2 (3) ever asks for a pair I probably would get her some.

I never got over the fact I wasn't allowed clarks magic steps and I'd hate dd to feel the same one day. I used to actually dream I had those shoes but dm refused as thought clarks was 'common'.We had to have horrible clumpy start rite shoes instead and all my friends had magic steps!

MrsFruitcake Sat 25-May-13 14:02:17

DD had a pair at about 5, but only 'cause I got them cheap at Costco. grin

I got DD a pair of plain non-lelli kelly sandals from john lewis and the shop assistant was very kind and gave DD one of the promotional things that they give away with Lelly kelly shoes....

I was horrified.... A glittery lipgloss magic wand. DD of course was utterly enamoured with it.

The thought was there, and the sentiment was nice but I mistrust a brand that gives out free lipstick to toddlers. It's creepy.

ethicaljamrag Sat 25-May-13 14:51:41

They are very well made and hard wearing. When DD grew out of hers I just washed them and sold them.

adverbial Sat 25-May-13 14:54:42

They're gaudy, tacky dreadful! The boots especially are hideous to behold.

The dc saw an advert for them last week, all they talked about was wanting the lip balm (which more airtime seemed to be allocated to), I think the shoes were secondary almost.

Floggingmolly Sat 25-May-13 14:59:13

There are hideous to us as adults, but 6 year old girls see the world differently!
As far as value for money goes, they're quite good actually, virtually indestructible.

Floggingmolly Sat 25-May-13 15:02:04

Why were you horrified, mrscumberbatch? I can think of worse things to give to a little girl. It wasn't aimed at you.

Chottie Sat 25-May-13 15:06:04

DD would have loved them when she was little. They are really girly and cute.

adverbial Sat 25-May-13 15:06:25

There were plenty of similar girly glitter and glitz festooned examples.

here

here

here

adverbial Sat 25-May-13 15:07:33

Not to mention the brand name emblazoned all over them.

I'm really not a fan grin

McNewPants2013 Sat 25-May-13 15:09:35

My dd would live a pair after the reviews here about the quality being good I may just get her some

SoupDragon Sat 25-May-13 15:16:53

Why were you horrified, mrscumberbatch? I can think of worse things to give to a little girl

You have heard of "let girls be girls" haven't you? What is giving them make up teaching them?

TwasBrillig Sat 25-May-13 15:21:14

We've not seen the adverts (BBC only here!) but I've seen the shoes and personally think they're hideous. Probably my inner snob.

Floggingmolly Sat 25-May-13 15:30:15

I don't know what it's teaching them, Soup.
My dd was passionate about pink glittery unicorns at 6; by 7 she had moved seamlessly onto being equally passionate about sharks. I'm glad I didn't make it a big deal, because it wasn't.

funkybuddah Sat 25-May-13 15:41:56

Dd has never had the beaded ones but she has had a couple of pairs of patent boots. I'm always cautious of patent as they scuff but the lelli kelli ones were amazing, no scuffs at all.

I would but the winter boots again, lasted ages and loads of life in the sole when dd finally grew out of them after a year

goingmadinthecountry Sat 25-May-13 15:58:13

They are utterly vile. I don't even mind the price - dd1 had Moschino sandals aged about 6 - they just look so nasty.

Their padded boots last year with horrible heels were the most unattractive shoes I've ever seen.

Children's shoes are too often awful anyway. I also refuse to buy those nasty Clarks shoes with dolls in the heels, and any school shoes with lights in them. Ditto pink or glittery trainers and Skechers Thank goodness 3 of my 4 are now past school uniform!

goingmadinthecountry Sat 25-May-13 16:00:41

I'm with you, Mrs Cumberbatch. I'd have refused it I think, even if dd cried her head off. John Lewis should know better.

Floggingmolly Sat 25-May-13 16:04:26

even if dd cried her head off hmm. So it's all about you...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now