To sort of miss these things that used to be on the telly

(139 Posts)
fragola Fri 24-May-13 23:32:18

Mutants. Mutants were everywhere. They were generally the result of nuclear war and normally wanted to kill and or eat everyone who wasn't a mutant. If you were a small child in the seventies, it was impossible to imagine a future without mutants.

Ladies in little shorty nighties. If you were a middle aged busdriver, milkman, postman or window cleaner, you couldn't go anywhere or do anything without being beseiged by ladies in little shortie nighties. I don't think that i was sure of the significance of ladies in little shortie nighties back then, but i thought they looked pretty and i sort of miss them.

Quicksand. Most films that weren't set in britain seemed to involve quicksand, generally as a means to dispatch the bad guys. The world would now be overrun by baddies if it wasn't for quicksand.

Avalanches. If you shouted anywhere near a mountain, a big load of snow would fall on you. I considered this to be a valuable lesson learnt when i was six.

Vicars. Vicars were also everywhere. People had vicars around to their houses for tea so often you could be forgiven for thinking that at least 50% of all men worked as vicars (the rest were middle aged bus drivers, milkmen, post men and window cleaners).

So if anyone on mumsnet works on the telly could you see if you can do anthing about bringing back quicksand, avalanches, mutants, ladies in little shortie nighties and vicars please?

Thank you.

DevonCiderPunk Sat 25-May-13 00:11:36

I also miss ending a programme with key members of the cast having a good old hoot at a crap joke together - freeze frame, saxophone-laden theme music... wobbly credits

squoosh Sat 25-May-13 00:13:20

Fragola you're crying with relief that the triffids are no longer a threat, I'd give rhubarb a wide berth though next time you're in the supermarket. You can't be too careful.

LemonPeculiarJones Sat 25-May-13 00:13:27

Devon that bejewelled box rotating was the beginning of 'Picture Box', a kid's show. Ah I can hear the music now....

The fellow who presented it later went on to be a heroin addict in 'Brookside'. He had a very wide mouth and snowy hair.

rubyflipper Sat 25-May-13 00:13:34

I watched Threads the other night on YouTube. It still scared the living daylights out of me, 30 years on.

cornypedicure Sat 25-May-13 00:13:47

god yes saxophones were massive in the 80's weren't they?
have you seen the sexy sax guy on you tube? very funny.

squoosh Sat 25-May-13 00:16:21

I like that thing they used to do in credits, where some swishy haired broad would toss her head around and give a toothy grin. Or maybe wave to the camera.

Murder She Wrote was great for ending a murder with a group chuckle.

DevonCiderPunk Sat 25-May-13 00:16:29

This thread has evoked so many childhood memories of spooky night-time TV that I just broke into a run on my way back from the loo.

wearingpurple Sat 25-May-13 00:16:45

Squoosh, yes! And he sounded like a bit of dick too. Not worth the suckery grave at all.

DevonCiderPunk Sat 25-May-13 00:17:33

PICTURE BOX! Thank you Lemon.

cornypedicure Sat 25-May-13 00:17:35

I think moonlight did the credits like that once ...perhaps it was the christmas special. Cybil Shepherd had lovely flicky hair.

cornypedicure Sat 25-May-13 00:19:25

I remember seeing a fireworks ad in the 70's once that gave me nightmares for ages. I panic now when dh does fireworks in the back garden.

DevonCiderPunk Sat 25-May-13 00:21:04

Am I the only one who secretly practised the "swooshy hair and then smile like you've just seen a toddler kiss a kitten" in their bedroom mirror, whilst imagining the wobbly credits showing your name? Maybe a split screen with 3 variations on the swoosh & smile?

30 years ago, obvs.

ArtexMonkey Sat 25-May-13 00:22:32

"I was like, OMG QUICKSAND I MISSED YOU! "

Howling laughing at this

cornypedicure Sat 25-May-13 00:23:59

toddler kiss a kitten grin

(yes you were the only one who did that)

wearingpurple Sat 25-May-13 00:24:26

Corny, NEVER FOOL WITH FIREWORKS. With a really chilling poster image of a facially disfigured boy?

One of my worst nights of every year is the PIL's firework party. I see that guy so clearly.

cornypedicure Sat 25-May-13 00:25:46

I know wearingpurple shock I can't even buy fireworks - dh has to do it! His parents were too mean to let him watch TV clearly.

Snazzywaitingforsummer Sat 25-May-13 00:28:03

squoosh either took phone calls or shouted at underlings. His secretary seemed to do all the actual work (it was always a man obv.)

cornypedicure Sat 25-May-13 00:28:34

has anyone seen that current ad that's supposed to be a warning about being on the train tracks? The one where the family are guessing things that begin with the letter t? My ds laughed. confused

NoelHeadbands Sat 25-May-13 00:28:43

Yy ROYAL JELLY

Fireworks are fine, as long as you do have a biscuit tin to keep them in.

You DO have a biscuit tin don't you?

squoosh Sat 25-May-13 00:29:11

I remember ads giving dire warnings about drowning in grain silos. That might have just been in Ireland though.

wearingpurple Sat 25-May-13 00:29:31

All the men had to play golf with their overlord.

cornypedicure Sat 25-May-13 00:30:03

My God - I have been making the mistake of keeping fireworks in their cardboard box shock

squoosh Sat 25-May-13 00:30:29

Men who wore driving gloves, you are missed.

NoelHeadbands Sat 25-May-13 00:30:35

No we had the grain silo warnings as well.

In W Yorks.

'Cause of all the open grain silo's lying around the place I imagine

wearingpurple Sat 25-May-13 00:30:43

We didn't have Grain Silos but we did have Dark Water.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now