Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think she should know my order by now?

(134 Posts)
KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 24-May-13 08:26:59

(This is sort of lighthearted. I'm not actually bent out of shape over it.)

Every morning (well, about four out of five weekday mornings) I go to my local Greg's and I order the exact same thing. I smile and I say:

"Good morning! I'd like a bacon roll with a little bit of brown sauce, a chocolate eclaire, and a white coffee with three sugars, please."

Most mornings, the same woman takes my order and, even though I've probably said these words to her two dozen times over the past few weeks, she always looks at me as if she's never seen me before, and she has to ask at least once while preparing my order a question like, "Do you want sausage?" or "Do you want brown sauce?" or "How many sugars?"

There's another woman who works there who does seem to remember me, even though she rarely takes my order. She also offered me a loyalty/reward card thing where you get stamps for a free coffee, because she recognized that I'm a daily regular. I must have been in there a dozen times (served by the forgetful woman) before I even knew they existed.

Is the forgetful woman winding me up? Or am I just deluded to think that someone should remember me (the really tall American who has the exact same thing every morning)?

Also, if Greg's is on your Bingo card, you're welcome. I'll try to come back and drip feed something about parking in here, later.

Ta!

MrsBodger Fri 24-May-13 10:46:26

I worked in a clothes shop years ago and so many of the customers were so rude. So when I was on the till, I perfected the art of giving change in such a way that it fell all over the floor . . . So childish, so satisfying.

I'm sure your Greggs lady is doing it on purpose.

FringeEvent Fri 24-May-13 10:48:05

This thread has brought back memories from when I used to work at Maccy D's as a student in 1998. There was a lad who used to come in frequently with his dad, he'd always order the exact same thing: 3 hamburgers with nothing but ketchup, a large fries, and a large still Fanta with no ice. Someone would always spot him waiting to cross the busy road opposite us and get his order through to the kitchen, I often wondered if he was baffled to find his order ready waiting for him when he reached the counter! Never discovered his real name; we all knew him as "Three Hamburgers Only Ketchup".

lougle Fri 24-May-13 10:48:45

YABU. For you, it's part of your routine. To her, you're a customer to serve and you have a right to choice (even if you know that you'll choose the same thing).

P.S. We don't have 'handicapped spots' here. We have designated parking spaces for blue badge holders, or 'disabled parking spaces'. Handicapped is offensive to many disabled people and 'handicap' only belongs on the golf course wink

KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 24-May-13 10:49:13

I'm pretty sure I'm wasting my time saying "a little bit of brown sauce," too. It's just an American habit to order exactly what I want. But I know that I am getting the standard squirt of sauce, regardless. grin

I don't think it's just a tipping thing in America. Customers simply expect to be made to feel special.

I don't think service is actually bad in the UK. There's less singing and dancing, but I get what I want.

I don't accept anything less, though. I specify what I want, and if I'm going to pay, I insist on getting it.

I'm nice about it, and I'm a good tipper. But I won't just sigh, grumble under my breath, and then pay if I haven't gotten what I asked for.

This lady gives me what I want and is friendly enough.

gallifrey Fri 24-May-13 10:50:09

I used to work on a deli counter and a man would get the same stuff every week. one day we saw him in the shop and did his stuff for him and just put it on the counter ready when he got there. We thought he would like it but he seemed really annoyed!

erm we prefer to use the term disabled rather than handicapped in UK, just sayin

KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 24-May-13 10:58:19

Thanks for pointing that out. I think I say disabled badge, but still have the habit of saying handicapped spaces. I don't see the inherent difference between the two terms, but if it jars or offends, then I will be more careful.

I guess it's like calling Chinese /Japanese, etc. Oriental. That would be offensive to Asians in the US.

Belmo Fri 24-May-13 11:01:13

Everyone does yeah, staff get a 50% discount. I've lost 2 stone since I left!! It's impossible not to just grab a cake on your break if you're greedy like me.
Cheese and onion pasties, probably (I'm veggie) but I haven't had one since I left, it'll be years before I can stomach another one!

ephemeralfairy Fri 24-May-13 11:02:35

Also a lot of the time these big chains live in constant fear of the 'mystery shopper; a Stasi-esque figure who is sent by Head Office and will mark stores down if their staff don't stick to a very formulaic interaction with the customer.

StuntGirl Fri 24-May-13 11:25:39

It's Greggs. She will serve hundreds of customers for the breakfast rush alone, many of whom will also order the same thing every day. Is she supposed to remember every single one of them too, or is it just you who is special?

It's not a cafe or a restaurant, and she's not a waitress. It's a conveyer belt where she churns out hundreds of pasties, sausage rolls and doughnuts every day.

Perhaps her manager doesn't like staff making assumptions about customers orders. Perhaps she did it once and a customer wasn't happy. Perhaps she thinks its polite to ask everyone. Perhaps as fairy says she's simply following the script so if she gets mystery shopped she'll pass. Perhaps she's a jobsworth who couldn't care less. Who knows?

KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 24-May-13 11:31:45

I think all customers are special, and should be made to feel as such. Obviously, if she can't remember something, no big deal.

She's not following a script. There's no general script for the others that I can see.

I've done similar jobs, both waitress and carry out counter. Also various retail. Remembering everyone's order isn't expected. But, asking five seconds after someone orders bacon for the umpteenth time if they want sausage is kinda weird.

justmuddlingalong Fri 24-May-13 11:38:31

biscuit

Sirzy Fri 24-May-13 11:43:12

Nothing weird about up selling. It is what is expected in these places because they are working to targets.

KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 24-May-13 11:44:50

justmuddlingalong I ordered an éclairs, not a fucking jammy dodger.

KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 24-May-13 11:45:48

She's not up selling. She's asking if the roll I ordered is sausage, or gets brown sauce.

KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 24-May-13 11:46:39

Oh, I guess I want multiple éclairs.

Yummy!

Jan49 Fri 24-May-13 12:06:04

I'm a bit shocked that you eat that daily and eat it in a car. A chocolate éclair is not just a 'pastry' is it? It's chocolate and cream and pastry. Are you quite young? Just asking because some people get away with rubbish food in their 20s-30s but then start to pile on weight if they continue that kind of diet.

Is it possible she asks about the sausage because it would be more expensive if you had that as well, just trying to sell you something extra? I think you should change your order, if only to see what reaction you get. You could confuse her by saying "no sugar in the coffee, I don't take sugar".grin

Sidge Fri 24-May-13 12:12:44

I've never been to a Greggs

<irrelevant>

What am I missing?

KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 24-May-13 12:14:18

No I'm 43. I am a healthy weight.

I won't claim it's a nutrient-rich breakfast, but it's not poisonous. A lot of sugar, sure, but I burn it off. Not sure why eating in a parked car is worse than at a table.

I don't eat much the rest of the day.

OrangeFootedScrubfowl Fri 24-May-13 12:18:43

I am more surprised that you have the same thing every day. Don't you ever fancy muesli?

KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 24-May-13 12:21:13

I have it four times a week. If I want something else, I go somewhere else, and if I'm not working, I eat at home.

squeakytoy Fri 24-May-13 12:25:46

hmmm lets see.... choc eclair or muesli..... I think I know which I would prefer.. grin

Trill Fri 24-May-13 12:27:52

I am clearly too late but I wanted to say read the OPs name - TheCleaningLady and point out that you need a lot of calories to do lots of cleaning (plus I know you are a proper elbow-grease kind of cleaner).

ZacharyQuack Fri 24-May-13 12:34:13

Your breakfast sounds delicious. Bacon, cream, coffee, three of the main food groups covered.

Beamae Fri 24-May-13 12:40:50

My sandwich guy used to see me through the window and would put a jacket spud in before I even got to the door. He made me feel like the queen of lunch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now