To think she should know my order by now?

(134 Posts)
KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 24-May-13 08:26:59

(This is sort of lighthearted. I'm not actually bent out of shape over it.)

Every morning (well, about four out of five weekday mornings) I go to my local Greg's and I order the exact same thing. I smile and I say:

"Good morning! I'd like a bacon roll with a little bit of brown sauce, a chocolate eclaire, and a white coffee with three sugars, please."

Most mornings, the same woman takes my order and, even though I've probably said these words to her two dozen times over the past few weeks, she always looks at me as if she's never seen me before, and she has to ask at least once while preparing my order a question like, "Do you want sausage?" or "Do you want brown sauce?" or "How many sugars?"

There's another woman who works there who does seem to remember me, even though she rarely takes my order. She also offered me a loyalty/reward card thing where you get stamps for a free coffee, because she recognized that I'm a daily regular. I must have been in there a dozen times (served by the forgetful woman) before I even knew they existed.

Is the forgetful woman winding me up? Or am I just deluded to think that someone should remember me (the really tall American who has the exact same thing every morning)?

Also, if Greg's is on your Bingo card, you're welcome. I'll try to come back and drip feed something about parking in here, later.

Ta!

wigglesrock Fri 24-May-13 08:55:18

I used to have a breakfast like that before I did my cleaning job. Can't do it anymore but, I'm envy

I'm not one for over familiarity, I know I'm a bit rude - maybe you have a doppelganger and she's not sure which one you are smile

RedPencils Fri 24-May-13 08:56:51

I've just put in half a stone thinking about a bacon roll and an eclair every day. envy

Some people just don't retain this sort of information, I'm one. I've been married for 10 years, see PILs a couple of times a week and I still have to ask FIL if he wants sugar in his coffee. We've got 4 light switches in the hall, had them for 15 years and I just can't remember which is for the landing. You take your chances when I do the tea round at work.

HighBrows Fri 24-May-13 08:57:43

Katy your American sensibilities will catch you out every time!
Waiting staff are rarely as good this side of the water! and even worse in Ireland

I bet your teeth are amazing despite taking all that sugar in your coffee! grin

Jacksterbear Fri 24-May-13 09:01:52

In my local cafe they don't come over to take my order any more; they just come over with my usual coffee! Kind of nice to be remembered but occasionally I might want a tea or hot chocolate!

Ragwort Fri 24-May-13 09:04:51

Also agree that in many places British service is just so awful and off hand, can't you find somewhere else for breakfast where your custom will be appreciated grin ?

Spice17 Fri 24-May-13 09:05:13

Same think used to happen to me. Sandwich shop and I went in about 1-2 times a week, small place and they knew who I was but I ALWAYS had to say 'Cheese, chive and onion brown roll with salad please' Felt like a dick saying it after a while......

Spice17 Fri 24-May-13 09:05:30

Thing

WorraLiberty Fri 24-May-13 09:05:46

I'm tall and American, therefore they should remember me? grin

Mornings seem to be a very busy time in those places and I don't think you can compare standing behind a counter, churning out order after order with waitressing really.

Hamwidge Fri 24-May-13 09:11:57

It can backfire though! I was at a swanky afterparty once, people were buying 10 drinks at a time (all doubles). I tried to discreetly buy myself a drink, the barmaid said 'same again?' Pointing at my glass. I said yes, she then went on to pour a huge range of doubles, shots, vintage whiskeys etc. I nearly fucking died on the spot. blush luckily I was rescued before I had to go in the back and wash up!

Sparklypinknails Fri 24-May-13 09:12:20

She might remember you but she'll be told to ask every time just in case that day you change your mind. When I worked in a supermarket cafe, I had to ask every customer all the little extra bits because if my manager was listening in, I'd get shit for not doing it. Even if it was a regular who had the same thing every single day the idea was they could always change their mind. I'm sure people thought it was because I couldn't be arsed to retain information but it was actually because I couldn't be arsed with the lecture about customer service and giving people choice. Remember, some companies don't seem to like their staff using their brain and try to stamp out any initiative they take. Its not all about that staff member being awkward or rubbish.

FourLittleDudes Fri 24-May-13 09:13:02

I go to greggs every Wednesday after mother and toddler to get ds3 a sausage roll (which he eats in his pushchair. Mark your bingo cards!) and the fit guy behind the counter always has one ready for him, which he's left to cool on the side so its at eating temp for a toddler. Nice man.

MadeOfStarDust Fri 24-May-13 09:13:37

Maybe if you give her a 15-20% tip she will remember you.... wink

Or.... "hiya <name> can I have my usual please?" and have a laugh about it

I have worked in a baker's before and if a customer does not indulge in any chatter, you tend to just forget them - brain is too full of faces to remember the non talkative ones...

Altinkum Fri 24-May-13 09:15:55

YABU, why do you think your going to get special recognition in her remembering your order?

I work in a busy restaurant, people are just people, they ask, you serve and everyone is happy.

MrsBertMacklin Fri 24-May-13 09:16:18

YABVVU for making me thing about Greggs sausage rolls when I have no means of access to one.

looseleaf Fri 24-May-13 09:16:33

I love Raisah's idea to change your order completely . Made me chuckle and interesting to see if that would get a reaction . But I have a feeling the lady serving isn't that focused so boringly might not react!

Lovecat Fri 24-May-13 09:20:54

I've been watching the Greggs documentary series and I'm wondering where they found all these happy, loving their work, thrilled about pies staff from.

Certainly not in our local branch, the mardy moo behind the till there barely acknowledges you and every part of your order is questioned in a tone that suggests you're insane (you want a steak bake ??). She has a trainee there who is cheerful enough and doesn't make you doubt the provenance of every item in the store but I'm sure it'll be beaten out of her eventually....

The guy in the station coffee shop, however, remembers EVERYBODY and has their order ready pretty much the minute he sees you step onto the platform.

BalloonSlayer Fri 24-May-13 09:20:54

Perhaps she can't understand why an American would have brown sauce?

< impressed at the way you have embraced British culture >

Actually though I would be embarrassed if someone knew exactly what I was ordering . . . I'd think it meant I was really boring and set in my ways and everyone knew never to expect anything new from me. sad Which is true actually

ENormaSnob Fri 24-May-13 09:29:05

I think that sounds an ace breakfast grin

Prefer a Bavarian slice to an eclair though.

Do they do Bavarian slices in Greggs? I haven't been in for an age.

Oh yes randomly change your order to see her face grin

KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 24-May-13 09:37:34

I am chatty and friendly, and most people seem to like me, and recognise me.
I prefer to state my order every time, because I may change my mind, eventually. But the way she asks if I want sausage is weird.

It's a fantastic breakfast. I can't eat when I first wake up, but by the time I drop the kids off, I'm starving. This sets me up for the day.

I sit in my car, eat, and check mn on my phone. smile

justmuddlingalong Fri 24-May-13 09:39:38

If you go in that often and haven't yet noticed that it's Greggs and not Greg's then personally I think you've got a hard neck to complain about staff not remembering you or your order. wink

WorraLiberty Fri 24-May-13 09:39:47

Perhaps you're similar to another customer who has sausage?

She probably annoys the hell out of the other one by asking if she wants a chocolate eclaire grin

It's good to have protein first thing. It's the sugar content that's high. But if, like you say, you have an active job then it's not a problem.

She's probably just jealous that you eat that for breakfast every day yet are tall and thin with all your own teeth grin

HandMini Fri 24-May-13 09:48:05

YANBU. I reckon she should know your order by now, or at least recognise you and check you want the same thing. She's maybe a bit sleepy if you're doing this fat and sugar transaction very early (or just a bit chippy because she hasn't had her eclair and coffee yet). <<slavers at the thought if an eclair>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now