Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be scared to go to work.

(61 Posts)
Sleepgrumpydopey Thu 23-May-13 21:22:05

Finish work late on Saturday and I have to walk to a multi storey car park in bham city centre. Aibu to be scared to walk to car alone as I'm Indian and EDL don't really know the difference and think everyone brown is a Muslim.

Sleep I'm so sorry. That is shit that you feel that way.
Just what have we become??

potofpaint you do not speak for all white people. TBH I find your post quite disgusting and you sound like a fool.

Kneedeepindaisies Fri 24-May-13 08:36:15

PotofPaint No one has said you can't feel scared but using words like "white people" and "own country" makes you sound like some idiot from the EDL.

This is the OP's country and she has just as much right to be scared as you.

potofpaint Fri 24-May-13 08:54:13

did i say im speaking for all white people ? i said i dont feel safe . why shouldnt i say white ? the op said brown but thats ok , i dont think its right that black brown white pink or any other colour person that lives in their own country doesnt feel safe .
Kneedeepindaisies This is the OP's country and she has just as much right to be scared as you......works both ways then doesnt it .

Kneedeepindaisies Fri 24-May-13 09:00:49

I said no one has said you can't feel scared. I think everyone is well within their rights to feel bloody terrified!

Zara1984 Fri 24-May-13 09:15:24

Potofpaint the fact is that racist idiots are targeting non-white people who "look Muslim" with verbal and physical violence at the moment in certain parts of the UK. This is is a very real issue for the OP and her safety.

White people are hardly being targeted and stereotyped in this country so stop being so ridiculous.

What happened to that poor soldier was a rare and extremely shocking tragedy, and incredibly disrespectful to the poor man's family. The media coverage is revolting and sensationalist, designed to whip up fear to increase ratings and sell papers and advertising. Please don't buy into it.

Zara1984 Fri 24-May-13 09:17:45

I meant the media coverage is incredibly disrespectful to the soldier's family. As the mother of a young DS I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to be in his mum's shoes right now sad And what a frightening time for his colleagues at the barracks, too.

OP, I hope you've been able to get some help from your employer and colleagues?

potofpaint Fri 24-May-13 10:07:44

white people are targeted as well, i dont know what planet you live on , i dont feel safe where i live ,my skin colour is a minority ,i have every much a right as anyone living in this country to say i dont feel safe , you dont live where i do , you dont feel the tension in the community so you have absolutely no right to say im ridiculous .

Zara1984 Fri 24-May-13 10:23:48

My apologies potofpaint. Of course I don't know what it's like where you live. I'm sorry you feel scared in your community sad I hope there are community leaders or other representatives tackling the tension head-on where you are.

But your comments came across as quite flippant and aggro when the OP was simply looking for advice and help so she could be safe.

potofpaint Fri 24-May-13 10:57:59

thank you zara i wasnt being flippant or aggro i think its terrible anyone should feel scared in the community where they live ,you are right there are a lot of racist people my point was not all racists are white , i understand the op being scared and i feel for her and hope that she is safe ,and i would advise her to not walk alone at night .

Sleepgrumpydopey Fri 24-May-13 11:04:17

Potofpaint I understand your point. And I agree in some places there are people who are non white and racist. When my parents came here from India in the 50's they didn't segregate themselves they speak English have always worked paid taxes and brought me and my brother up to be good honest citizens. I am fully aware that not everyone's story is the same and there are immigrant families that haven't integrated and that is wrong.
My concerns were more that I might get targeted because of this awful attack. I wasn't really commenting on race relations in general .

LEMisdisappointed Fri 24-May-13 15:01:14

Sleepgrumpydopey - you are a true lady. I wish there were more people in the world like you. Your parents should be proud of you - as i am sure they are xx

It breaks my heart that there is so much anger and hate in the world, not just here, but in other countries too - I cannot imagine what it must be like to live in syria just now for instance. These sort of massacres are happening daily - its so so sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now