to want to spend some of my (hard-earned) bonus on a handbag?

(51 Posts)
Boosiehs Thu 23-May-13 17:52:55

Even though we have a baby arriving in about 3 months and I should be saving for a new house?

Buy the bag.

noblegiraffe Thu 23-May-13 18:22:25

Make sure it has plenty of room for nappies, wipes etc.

youmeatsix Thu 23-May-13 18:23:08

a "bag"? YABU, a Mulbury? YADNBU! grin Especially if its a roxanne grin
will you starve if you buy it? will it impact anything else? for the baby? bills etc? treat yourself, its your bonus, and if you are saving for a new house, and about to have a baby, you may not have the cash for a while

KittensoftPuppydog Thu 23-May-13 18:29:00

It all depends which bag. Can you tell us?

KittensoftPuppydog Thu 23-May-13 18:30:19

The new effie is very nice and practical.

Remotecontrolduck Thu 23-May-13 18:30:45

5-10% of the bonus?

I'd buy the bag. You've still got a lot of money left to save/spend on the new baby.

Invest in it now before you're too preoccupied with nappies/wet wipes!

If it's designer it can always be sold anyway!

Catbiscuit Thu 23-May-13 18:59:18

Does dh get to spend some of it on himself too? If he's not got a salary of his own through being a sahd then he should really get equal use of any 'spending' money. Just thinking if I was sahm and dh wanted to spend 10% of a bonus on a toy but didn't offer anything to me, I'd be pretty miffed :-)

Chottie Thu 23-May-13 19:11:42

I would just buy the bag. I love handbags, you worked hard, you earned the money, spoil yourself. Life is short, so buy and enjoy.

shewhowines Thu 23-May-13 19:38:48

As a sahm, i always encourage my DH to spend some of his bonus on himself. He earnt it and deserves it but I say that as someone who has far more treats than him generally

MsVestibule Thu 23-May-13 20:02:57

oh and FYI I am the breadwinner in the house. DH works for himself and earns little but will be the SAHD when I go back to work.

Oh well, if you're the main breadwinner, of course you can spend your money on whatever you like. I know this is supposed to be a lighthearted thread, but those sentences have really pissed me off.

themaltesecat Thu 23-May-13 20:15:03

So long as you're both getting treats. I hope that once you have a child, you will regard it all as your joint money.

I'd put the money towards a holiday. You will still be able to buy things when you're up at 3am breastfeeding - time and freedom to, say, sightsee and have long, languid lunches somewhere sunny is what you may well find you lack.

FarBetterNow Thu 23-May-13 20:25:31

I think I live in a different world.

I wouldn't pay more than £40 for a handbag and that would be in a sale.

Have you already got expensive handbags?

I've just googled Mulberry Roxanne - good god, really that price?
How bizarre.
We live in a mad, mad world.

Get the bloody mortgage paid off.

picnicbasketcase Thu 23-May-13 20:31:02

I seriously don't understand how anyone can think a bag is worth spending hundreds of pounds on. It's a bag. A thing you carry for convenience and keep keys and a purse in. A £30 bag holds the same items as well as a £700 one does.

Having said that, I know some people DO place an enormous amount of importance on which designer has made their accessories and how much their bag/shoes/coat has cost so if you've got the money and feel that way, why not? Each to their own.

rootypig Thu 23-May-13 20:56:29

Well first, the price of a lovely thing has no logic. Can you honestly not imagine spending money on something that you do not need, simply because it makes you happy? A holiday abroad.... a caravan in Wales is cheaper. Dinner out..... you could just have a sandwich. A nice bottle of wine.... go without. Just because a handbag is in part functional, doesn't mean that its function is all. If your neighbour came home with a new car, would you find it so hard to understand, though a second hand one always makes more sense? A well made leather bag is a little bit of luxury every day. Alber Elbaz said that luxury triggers joy and do you know, I agree.

And all that aside, it's still not necessarily extravagant. I have a Mulberry Roxy I bought in New York at the end of 2004. Still using it. I daresay I could have bought a £40 bag a year instead.

HappyMummyOfOne Thu 23-May-13 21:25:53

If a SAHM was asking itpf ut was ok for her OH to purchase an expensive item its usually a resounding no, never works the other way round though hmm

I am of the opinion whoever earnt the money has majority say as they are the one that worked for it, if no debt and its money tht is spare then i would buy it.

HappyMummyOfOne Thu 23-May-13 21:27:05

And that will teach me to preview! I can type honestly.

noblegiraffe Thu 23-May-13 21:42:20

It's like that thread the other day where the guy wanted to spend the baby money on a new bike. Everyone said no.

inabeautifulplace Thu 23-May-13 22:56:44

It's remarkably similar, in fact.

FarBetterNow Fri 24-May-13 06:39:08

Rooty: Yes, but the new very expensive handbag isn't guaranteed to make any one happy.
My XH insisted on buying a top of the range new car, when usually we bought the basic model. A few weeks later he was annoyed with himself as it hadn't made him as happy - but then he was a complete knob anyway.(grin)

MummaBubba123 Fri 24-May-13 07:00:59

Bloody do it cos once baby comes, you'll want and need to spend all of your money on him/ her! You'll look at your beautiful handbag in awe, not wanting to full it with nappies n wipes, and revel in your memories of the days before poo!
You might even get to take your handbag out one evening! Seriously, do it!

Boosiehs Fri 24-May-13 15:37:58

Readers - I did it. A v lovely mulberry ( not top of range by any stretch).

We have a holiday booked before baby, and am buying DH a bonus present too. Although he said what he really wants is a liquidizer??? Random....

Thanks for all the comments. I agree where a family doesn't have enough for the baby then no treats allowed, but that really isn't the case.

Bowlersarm Fri 24-May-13 15:42:43

Ah. Lucky you. Enjoy it.

Hope DH enjoys his liquidiser too.....

MummaBubba123 Sun 26-May-13 08:04:47

So glad that you bought it!

KittensoftPuppydog Sun 26-May-13 12:45:22

Go on, tell us which one.
Mulberry addict.

FreudiansSlipper Sun 26-May-13 12:51:44

yes buy it

a good bag will last years and you will feel good about having it yes that is shallow but so what

you will have less money to spend on yourself from now on but make sure if you can you always treat yourself too and please do not become a moany martyr mum by claiming you only eve want to spend money on your children and not yourself

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now