To insist he uses the toothpaste

(72 Posts)
TheCatIsUpTheDuff Thu 23-May-13 08:07:26

This is trivial, but DH wants the Mumsnet opinion.

I bought some Arm and Hammer baking soda toothpaste, which he says he Does Not Like and Will Not Use. I don't like it much either, but it would be a waste to throw it away, and you only have it in your mouth for a minute at a time. A tube lasts about a month in our house.

Earlier in the year, I accidentally bought some lemon-flavoured shite that made me gag. I still used it, and by the end of the tube had at least learned to tolerate it.

AIBU to tell him to suck it up for 2 minutes a day, or is he BU to throw it away?

valium - sometimes we all have the same type but it's a hygeine thing - people have a tendency to wipe their toothbrush on the opening as they get toothpaste on the brush. Not a major health risk grin but i wouldn't use someone elses toothbrush so I'd rather not use their toothpaste either - OH is worse than me about it and the boys wont use each others but it's not to do with taste although No2 son prefers a sensitive and less minty toothpaste.

LegArmpits Thu 23-May-13 11:03:42

There's nowt so queer as folk.

DeskPlanner Thu 23-May-13 11:20:16

Bloody hell, he's an adult, he can make his own choices.

TigerSwallowTail Thu 23-May-13 11:23:05

Yabu, I couldn't brush my teeth twice a day with something that tastes revolting. I vote for new toothpaste!

HesterShaw Thu 23-May-13 11:27:54

Here's a plan: why don't you use it, AND HER CAN BUY HIS OWN!

Everyone's a winner.

getyourheadout Thu 23-May-13 11:54:07

i wouldnt use it if it was that gross , surely a new tube of toothpaste for him wont break the bank.

fieldfare Thu 23-May-13 12:04:40

You use it, he buys another one that he likes.
Where's the problem really? It's only toothpaste!

cumfy Thu 23-May-13 12:50:38

colgategate!

Why do you repeatedly buy weird toothpaste. Lemon? Salty? Just buy one you both like.

Samu2 Thu 23-May-13 14:50:53

Is he a child or an adult?

Kittenkatzen Thu 23-May-13 15:54:19

soontobeslendergirl it was me suggested passing it on.....if my mum/sister/best mate said to me "I bought this toothpaste and we didn't like it, I know it's your brand did you want it?" then I can't see what's wrong with that <shrugs>. No different to leaving it for guests as others have said.

I'm not suggesting OP try and palm it off on a randomer!

BrianButterfield Thu 23-May-13 15:58:53

I've gone and bought my own toothpaste before as DH likes to try weird gel/whitening/grainy ones and I just like Colgate from the pound shop. It's no big deal.

We also wouldn't eat food we didn't like, although it's rare. Life's too short to force yourself to do these petty things if you can afford not to.

ouryve Thu 23-May-13 15:58:53

You use it, then. DH can buy some toothpaste that he likes. He's a grown man and perfectly capable of knowing what he likes and dislikes.

samesizetoes Thu 23-May-13 16:20:35

Buy a new toothpaste and use the other one to clean with

luxemburgerli Thu 23-May-13 16:40:57

Unless money is VERY tight, life is too short to use terrible toothpaste. Chuck it away pronto and forget about it.

You see throwing it away as a waste of toothpaste, your DH sees it as a waste to spend 2 min x 30 days trying not to throw up!

maras2 Thu 23-May-13 18:45:13

Use it to clean the tile grouting.No way would I put that stuff anywhere near my mouth.

I've recently bought one that taste like one of those airwaves chewing gum. It's gross.

It's going in the bin as soon as ive b ought a new one!

complexnumber Thu 23-May-13 20:03:52

I bought my sister some gin flavoured toothpaste once.

Apparently that was disgusting, and probably had no dental hygiene benefits whatsoever. I'm assuming she threw it away.

Maybe I'll just buy her the gin in future.

Oldraver Thu 23-May-13 20:54:42

Life is too short to be putting shit in your mouth and gagging for the sake of a couple of quid.

By all means do it to yourself if your daft enough....but dont inflict it on someone else.

trixymalixy Thu 23-May-13 23:06:27

I'm with your DH on this one. Arm and hammer is beyond vile. It makes me gag.

Whatalotofpiffle Thu 23-May-13 23:09:27

Bleurgh!!!! I hate that toothpaste and I bought a new one when I realised how rank it was

Tilly333 Thu 23-May-13 23:17:19

give in... buy him another tube....and let him gloat for a while, it'll keep him happy
life is too short... just one question .. why the hell did you buy it and not your normal stuff?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now