To insist he uses the toothpaste

(72 Posts)
TheCatIsUpTheDuff Thu 23-May-13 08:07:26

This is trivial, but DH wants the Mumsnet opinion.

I bought some Arm and Hammer baking soda toothpaste, which he says he Does Not Like and Will Not Use. I don't like it much either, but it would be a waste to throw it away, and you only have it in your mouth for a minute at a time. A tube lasts about a month in our house.

Earlier in the year, I accidentally bought some lemon-flavoured shite that made me gag. I still used it, and by the end of the tube had at least learned to tolerate it.

AIBU to tell him to suck it up for 2 minutes a day, or is he BU to throw it away?

Sirzy Thu 23-May-13 08:49:05

If you purchased food you didn't like would you eat it all just because you have paid for it?

The taste of toothpaste lingers in your mouth for a while after and is really strong whilst you are brushing - why would you want to carry on using it if you don't like it?

kiwigirl42 Thu 23-May-13 08:52:49

are you his mother? I really thought you'd be talking about a toddler. Even then I was going to say you can't force him to like something you like.
Are you always on his back about every little thing like this?

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Thu 23-May-13 08:57:20

I wonder if the poor OPs husband is doing a little victory/in your face dance right now? grin

CaptainJamesTKirk Thu 23-May-13 08:58:57

YABU. He's an adult, he doesn't like it. You cannot and should not try up force him to.

sooperdooper Thu 23-May-13 09:00:54

Yabu, I can't stand Arm and Hammer either, you use it if you want and he can get a different brand

Camwombat Thu 23-May-13 09:04:59

DH and I use different toothpastes, because I have "issues" with the stuff and I can only use one specific type. If I cant get that, I don't use toothpaste, as long as I use a fluoride mouthwash all is ok.

YABU, it's toothpaste, you use it and let him have his own. Whether it's only in your mouth for a minute is irrelevant, it's still long enough if your gag reflex kicks in!

Yabu
Continue using it yourself by all means but don't insist that your DH should.

Buy another tube for your DH to use (pound land do a range of brands) you continue using the A&H.
Both tubes will last you two months rather than one - no waste! smile

starfishmummy Thu 23-May-13 09:16:19

You bought it, so you use it.

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Thu 23-May-13 09:22:43

To be honest I can see your point. It's toothpaste; it's not that bad. I'd be surprised if my DH refused to finish off a toothpaste we'd bought and neither of us were massively keen on. We'd both use it up and then decide to buy another brand in future. Also I think A&H is a bit of an acquired taste but you do get used to it after a few brushes. I actually find it the best toothpaste for feeling clean afterwards.

mrsjay Thu 23-May-13 09:23:41

buy another tube toothpaste that you don't like is torture I heave if toothpaste is too minty get him to buy something else , it is just toothpaste

TheCatIsUpTheDuff Thu 23-May-13 09:39:12

I have told him you all agree with him. Those who asked about food, of course we eat what we buy unless it.s truly disgusting, which has only happened once, you just don.t buy it or make it again. Nobody would throw away a perfectly good meal because they didn.t like it, would they? Sorry, can.t find apostrophe on phone.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Thu 23-May-13 10:01:05

No - I wouldn't throw away a meal. However, if I bought a new thing and my husband didnt like it, I would respect his opinion on that and not force him to eat it like a recalcitrant toddler. A tally, I wouldn't force a toddler to eat something they clearly didnt like either

However, kudos for coming back and agreeing YWBU grin

HazleNutt Thu 23-May-13 10:07:33

There's the difference, you would try the digusting food just once and never again - not eat it every single evening for a month.

alienbanana Thu 23-May-13 10:14:57

I'd throw away a meal if I really didn't like it.

Pandemoniaa Thu 23-May-13 10:20:28

YABU. I look at it another way. Adult life is actually too short to be forced to use the wrong toothpaste in. It's toothpaste. Not diamond encrusted caviar.

mrssprout Thu 23-May-13 10:26:38

I picked up a toothpaste that was on special & I hated the taste, I just went & picked up a cheap tube of plain mint toothpaste for me, luckily DH was happy to use the other one. I just couldn't use it, I have a really sensitive gag reflex & first thing in the morning the taste was just a bit much & had me heaving.

valiumredhead Thu 23-May-13 10:40:19

I can't use that Arm and Hammer stuff, my teeth never feel properly clean and it makes me feel sick and gives me a weird heart burn feeling. I am not known for being a fussy person.

MegaClutterSlut Thu 23-May-13 10:45:53

YABU Arm and Hammer is disgusting and I threw it straight out!

we don't share toothpaste in my house - we each have our own tube - is that not normal? Toothpaste isn't expensive (or doesn't have to be) so why make an issue.

....and seriously someone suggested passing it on to someone else?? Would you use someone elses toothpaste?

CajaDeLaMemoria Thu 23-May-13 10:47:28

Put the arm and hammer in the guest room. Use normal toothpaste. Both be happy.

Honestly, it's not worth it. Arm and hammer is vile. I wouldn't let anyone put it anywhere near my mouth... My mouth, my choice.

And stop buying random toothpastes! Lemon flavour sounds horrid.

MegaClutterSlut Thu 23-May-13 10:47:55

And yes I would throw away a meal if I didn't like it

valiumredhead Thu 23-May-13 10:49:32

We have our own as well soon because we all like different sorts!

Just buy a new one! I've bought toothpaste on offer before then binned it when I didn't like it - I personally can't stand the gel ones. Make my teeth feel weird. Arm & Hammer is my favourite and the only one I buy now! If you feel bad about binning it, post it to me, it won't go to waste here! grin

forevergreek Thu 23-May-13 10:55:45

We only use arm and hammer as the rest are full of sls which makes my gums hurt. Just use yourself or keep for guests.

Whether you use one tube together a month or two seperate tubes lasting 2 months surely it makes no difference

hiddenhome Thu 23-May-13 11:02:10

Arm & Hammer is dreadful and I wouldn't use it. Your dh should be buying his own toothpaste.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now