This is chavvy, that is chavvy. Fuck off with the use of chavvy

(512 Posts)

AIBU?

All I seem to see lately is the word chavvy to describe names, items, clothes etc that people don't like.

So far names that aren't Arlo or Benedict, are double barreled or start with a K are chavvy.

Using Nanna is chavvy.

Wearing character clothing (children) is chavvy.

Everything is fucking chavvy. It makes me wonder what people think chavvy means? Am I the only one who has noticed this?

ephemeralfairy Wed 22-May-13 14:09:59

I avoid using it. I have always understood the etymology to be rooted in the Romany word for child or youngster. Taking into account the current climate of increasing prejudice towards Romany and Traveller people, I prefer not to use the word 'chav' in a derogatory way.

Everlong I reported your post as I think that is a really good idea.

It's obviously harmless to lots of people on here but to others it really is like (and sometimes used as) a personal attack.

kotinka Wed 22-May-13 14:12:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dancingwithmyselfandthecat Wed 22-May-13 14:12:22

In my experience, people use chavvy to denote "anything two rungs below where I see myself on the social ladder and which I am scared that people might think of as something I would do unless I am rude about it." It denotes nothing more than the speaker's insecurity.

To wit, my university lecturer friend (vv wealthy family in a London townhouse intellectual way), uses it to refer to anyone who pays excessive attention to their physical appearance, particularly in a "girly" and lots of money way (eg long nails with transfer stickers on them, v high heels, lots of jewellery and ultra-straight hair). My former team assistant in my old job (left school after GCSEs, grew up on a council estate near Lincoln) used it to refer to people who flytipped their own front yards.

It is an absolutely horrible term.

GoodbyePorkPie Wed 22-May-13 14:12:30

YADNBU

Loathe this word. Smacks of sneery, scoffy snobbery. I should not click on baby names threads but I just can't help myself. Yesterday's (you know the one OP) was grim.

Bowlersarm Wed 22-May-13 14:12:45

OP I think Nanna is ok isn't it? What should it be Grandmama?? (Actually, I think all the English various names used for grandparents are pretty shocking in one way or other, but that's a whole different thread...)

All my children wore character clothes quite regularly, and I did know that a few of my friend didn't approve! (They remained friends though despite my chavviness, ha ha)

Chavvy actually always meant child/children
Untill somebody came up with the council house and violent theory.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Wed 22-May-13 14:13:31

Chav is a subjective term.

I might find a private no. plate to be vey chav indeed but presumably the owner is really pleased with it and consider it £2k well spent.

Any person or object 'of questionable taste' can be termed a chav or chavvy. It is not that big a deal, imho.

YANBU I've said before its now used to mean common nod been to,d I have a chip on my shoulder hmm

Chav, particularly on mn, seems to be an all encompassing word meaning common, rough, déclassé, gauche, cheap, naff and all other sorts of things which are apparently acceptable to brand people because they aren't of your ilk.

You can live in a multi-million pound house, drive a Bentley, frequent all the fancy places you like but are still supposedly a chav and therefore your life automatically pales in comparison and you are beneath someone who doesn't eat frozen food or only allows their child, gender neutral Boden items.

That's what all these brands and names and things being 'naice'are all about, making people who aren't anything that special feel like they have something over on people outside the group. So you've got the Boden wearing Ruperts feeling very tasteful and superior, the chavs wearing juicy couture and feeling very expensive, the intellectuals who have spent all their money on books. It's tribalism and mn brings it out spectacularly because of keyboard warriors.

It's bollocks really, if most of us had the money of Coleen and Wayne we'd look like a big fat gypsy wedding on E.

Chavvy doesn't need banning. People just need to use it correctly or at least know what it means before using it.

Its like when kids learn a new word that everyone is saying yet have no ide what it means so just say it randomly so it makes no sense.

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean its chavvy or poncy. You just don't like it.

Some things that people call chavvy are just mental and it proves people don't have a clue what it means.

kotinka Wed 22-May-13 14:15:17

CherylTrole Wed 22-May-13 14:15:24

Whenever I hear the word chav I think of council estates, TOWIE, My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding, Cheryl Cole, Asda, Shameless, Skint, Eastenders, Poundland, Poundstretcher, Disney Princesses, Butlins, Magaluf , excessive fake tan, etc etc. The word chav doesnt bother me in the slightest!

everlong Wed 22-May-13 14:17:05

Cool schro.

It needs to be weedled out of our diction.

Nobody would dream of saying paki or retard. Thankfully now it's deemed as totally offensive.

And I think somewhere down the line chav will fall into that category.

People have feelings and referring to their dc's names, clothes, toys etc as chavvy is hurtful.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Wed 22-May-13 14:17:08

Agree that crazy bright orange fake tan streaked on the knuckles and the knees is chav. You could say 'is ridiculous' or 'is ugly looking' instead I suppose.

Chav round my endz isn't a good thing. Money doesn't come into it. Its attitude, behaviour etc. No one wants to be called a chav here.

kotinka Wed 22-May-13 14:18:02

HumphreyCobbler Wed 22-May-13 14:18:12

It is a vile word.

limitedperiodonly Wed 22-May-13 14:18:24

It was funny that everyone sneering at Coleen and Wayne's new baby's name yesterday was very careful to avoid the C-word.

But that's what the nasty, envious little snobs meant.

Sneering at a newborn babies name is low

Chav here would be "Ned", a violent criminal thug basically.

I do not like being referred to as being like this one bit.

Everlong I totally agree with that, to some of us (probably area dependant) it is very hurtful.

HoneyDragon Wed 22-May-13 14:20:52

When people say

Sorry but, if you go ahead with that decision to [insert offence here] people will think you are a chav

All I hear is

Sorry but, I'm letting you know I am an absolute cunt so you can avoid any future encounters with me

everlong Wed 22-May-13 14:21:14

Lol at envious little snobs!

A lot has to do with taste. Some people love a certain type of name and others can't stand it. That's life.

dancingwithmyselfandthecat Wed 22-May-13 14:22:07

property, it is a big deal because equating "questionable taste" (an entirely subjective judgment) with "chavvy" (term denoting scum and implying a level of objectivity) is a nasty and horrible leap to make about someone.

We tell kids that they shouldn't base judgments on ethnic stereotypes, age, disability. And yet using language which condemns anybody who happens to have a taste you don't like in such a way is apparently acceptable.

Just realise I typed 'endz' and no one pointed it out! grin That's saved in my dictionary from a texting a friend.

Sparklypinknails Wed 22-May-13 14:22:42

YANBU. I get the impression people use it to replace "that is so common" because they know it they say that, they'll get jumped on and for some reason chavvy doesn't get that reaction :/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now