to think none of you are taking this seriously enough

(384 Posts)
babybarrister Tue 21-May-13 23:01:46

Legal Aid is about to be decimated for criminal hearings - the reality is that anyone who can buy a better service certainly will do and the poor will get left with being represented by very low quality advocates

is this really the sign of a civilised society?

is this really what people want? a series of awful miscarriages of justice which will only be uncovered in 15 years time?

what happens if it is your relative who gets wrongly arrested and charged and then represented by someone incompetent and then imprisoned?

please have a read about the issue and consider contributing to the consultation before we all sleep walk into a police state - there is a demonstration tomorrow outside Parliament and the consultation shuts on 4th June

FWIW I am NOT a criminal barrister and have ABSOLUTELY NO FINANCIAL INTEREST IN THE ISSUE!

rooiewooie Fri 07-Jun-13 21:45:46
BanishedToPadua Sun 09-Jun-13 14:05:06

Well, this is unexpected! It's a scathing criticism of proposed legal aid reforms in the Mail on Sunday. Here is the link (Mail):

New Face of British Justice Eddie Stobard

If the Mail has turned, Grayling can have very few allies left.

Monday bump

Somethingyesterday Mon 10-Jun-13 10:29:31

We are taking it seriously.

Spero Mon 10-Jun-13 11:12:44

It is very heartening that people on this thread are taking it seriously NOW but before babybarrister started this thread someone else had a go and I think it got a paltry number of responses before dribbling to a halt... so the original premise of this thread was fair enough.

I am very pleased however to see loads of stuff now in the papers and even satirical comment on the Now Show!

Also Harry Mount tried some nonsense article in the Spectator saying what a great idea the reforms were and he seems to have been very satisfactorily slapped down.

Spero Mon 10-Jun-13 11:13:34
ParsingFancy Mon 10-Jun-13 11:53:41

I saw the previous thread, also by babybarrister I think.

But I was too busy fighting the bill to privatise the NHS (passed last year) and having ATOS declare their "medical assessment" of me not fit for purpose.

I have to pinch myself to remember this is a coalition government. Dude, where's my country?

Spero Mon 10-Jun-13 12:00:39

Indeed. I am struggling to think what is the POINT of a government, if all we are going to end up with is being customers of various private organisations who are run for profit. How on earth can provision of medical and legal services be run for 'profit'???

I am all for efficiency and not wasting money but making profit the goal is just senseless for these kinds of activities.

DreamingOfTheMaldives Tue 11-Jun-13 07:58:09

Tuesday Bump

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now