to feel threatened by her?

(78 Posts)
waddlecakes Tue 21-May-13 16:27:43

Bit of a tough one. I've had a somewhat unsteady relationship with a man I'm mad about. It's been going on for 7-8 months and has been difficult as he has some mental health issues but things have been getting much better.

Last week he introduced me to one of his girl mates who he is very close to. We were at this event and the girl and I ended up alone in the bar - it turns out we were able to connect really deeply, and I really really liked her. She said that when he had told her he wanted to introduce her to me, she had expected to feel jealous, but having spoken to me she couldn't find it in her to feel anything negagtive towards me. The way things turned out we were having such a good time the two of us that we embarked on a pretty magical evening of swapping confidences, and we ditched my man and his other mates for a good 4 hours.

Sounds pretty perfect - except at one point she told me that she and my man had kissed ''once or twice'' before, but nothing else ever happened. It did send a pang through my heart...later on she said she'd had this intense dream about him the other night.

Arggh I don't know, I feel paranoid about it because I really got on with her amazingly well and I'm pretty sure if he was worried/had anything to hide he wouldn't have been cool with me wandering off with her for hours. At the same time though...she's a musician like him, I saw some scars on her wrists and she appears to be some sort of ''tortured soul''. It makes me feel insecure like I'm not interesting enough I suppose...sorry, I really just needed to get this out!

OHforDUCKScake Tue 21-May-13 17:41:51

Good point Worra. I have best friends who are male, it wouldnt even enter my brain to be jealous of a new relationship.

OHforDUCKScake Tue 21-May-13 17:42:25

Oh dear Wadds, how much? A lot about your relationship with him?

waddlecakes Tue 21-May-13 17:42:41

I'm supposed to be seeing him this evening, and she will possibly also be there...

WorraLiberty Tue 21-May-13 17:43:47

I'm not normally this suspicious but I'm wondering if she's a friend with benefits?

Maybe that's why she seems to be checking out possible competition, to see how serious it is?

SgtTJCalhoun Tue 21-May-13 17:43:50

My smiley and chatty and confide about NOTHING.

waddlecakes Tue 21-May-13 17:45:48

Hehe, ''wadds'' :-). I suppose actually I didn't say anything too useful to her. The most borderline thing I said was when I said something along the lines of...''...but things are quite a bit up in the air, nothing is ever certain, and especially with everything he's dealing with, plus there's the thing of me maybe wanting to move away at some point...''. But the stuff he's dealing with she knows about, and plus he also knows I might want to move somewhere new at some point, so there's nothing there really that can be 'used against' me.

waddlecakes Tue 21-May-13 17:46:33

Worra the thing is that I'm not sure he would have wanted to introduce us if it was a friends with benefits thing...

WorraLiberty Tue 21-May-13 17:48:13

But after 7-8 months, how could he keep getting away with not introducing you?

He could have told her to keep it zipped about whatever relationship they might have?

waddlecakes Tue 21-May-13 17:49:13

Because (sorry, big part missing from original OP) she doesnt live here anymore. She lives in a faraway city and has done for the past year. So she was only back for a visit - he could have not bothered at all.

OHforDUCKScake Tue 21-May-13 17:51:16

Good that you didnt discuss your relationship with her, i bet thats what she wanted the most.

Im not really sure what the best thing to do is. I mean, it seems extreme to run to the hills. But Id hate to feel like I was having a 3 person relationship.

OHforDUCKScake Tue 21-May-13 17:51:39

Oh thats good then!

ENormaSnob Tue 21-May-13 17:57:01

She sounds a big single white female to me.

I wouldn't trust her at all.

There was something unsettling you enough that made you post for advice on here. Listen to that little inner voice more.

And without wanting to sound too ancient, try not to get too hammered when you meet them. Aloof, friendly and in control.

From hard experience, the less drama there is about a fella the better boyfriend he makes. Perhaps have some confidence that this sexy musician with his "issues" and very close friend might not be so ideal afterall ?? Just something to think about, not an instruction as he sounds just the type I'd have gone for ..... !

JamieandtheMagicTorch Tue 21-May-13 18:04:37

Not to get all psychological on your ass, but I wonder if this is as much about your DP as it is about her

JamieandtheMagicTorch Tue 21-May-13 18:05:15

"From hard experience, the less drama there is about a fella the better boyfriend he makes"

Exactly

waddlecakes Tue 21-May-13 18:12:51

''Not to get all psychological on your ass, but I wonder if this is as much about your DP as it is about her'' what do you mean Jamie?

JamieandtheMagicTorch Tue 21-May-13 18:13:31

I mean the insecurity

waddlecakes Tue 21-May-13 18:17:40

Ah....yes, most probably!

TheSecondComing Tue 21-May-13 18:18:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MoodyDidIt Tue 21-May-13 18:22:36

It reminds me of some of the dramas of late teenage/early twenties. Fun, intense, kind of novelistic and romantic, tortured souls and deep connections.....it's amazing fun but not to be trusted. Purely for experience.

exactly what i thought.... how old are you all?

HoneyandRum Tue 21-May-13 18:41:05

OP my point of view - you can take whatever you want from it - is that it is ALWAYS a Red Flag when someone who you HAVE JUST MET overshares with you in this way. Forget your relationship for a mo, as other posters have already mentioned this women is already overstepping many, many boundaries with you. It appears you are letting her because you are charmed and thrilled to be taken into her confidence. Surely this must make you special, you had such a deep connection etc. etc etc.

Well I will probably get flamed for this; but her behavior is classic for someone with a Personality Disorder (look up what that means if you need to). Her cutting is also clear evidence that she is psychologically vulnerable. I would say run, don't walk way from any more intimacy with her, because almost guaranteed it's going to get very messy and if possible she will throw you under the bus as soon as possible.

KatyTheCleaningLady Tue 21-May-13 18:46:53

This girl sounds dodgy. Charming, intense, and no sense of boundaries... I smell a personality disorder.

KatyTheCleaningLady Tue 21-May-13 18:50:44

Or, what Honeysaid!

Borderline Personality springs to my utterly untrained mind. Big on drama, and prone to violent behaviour / dramatics if not getting what they want. Could explain the wrists.

musickeepsmesane Tue 21-May-13 18:53:55

I have a very close male friend and if he introduced me to his girlfriend I would be very happy for him. It is not normal for friends to feel jealous of new partners. Yes, suss them out, hope they are nice, hope it is a great relationship.

She sounds needy and weird. Manipulative is bang on.

Sounds to me like now he is off limits, she wantshim. Wouldn't be the first time!

Ultimately, I guess it all hinges on how much you trust your bloke.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now