IABVVVVU but I cringe inside when I see

(364 Posts)
AmataesAmataes Tue 21-May-13 14:14:56

Girls names with -Ella, -lily, -mae, -Rae, -lee or any variation

Following on from my name thread and a couple of threads I've seen about rochelle from the Saturdays new baby,I can't help but cringe when I see any of the above e.g. Gracie-Mae

I am being VVVV judgey pants but I find it so overdone, twee and chavvy.

I'm ready for my flaming!

SallyMcgally Thu 23-Oct-14 22:30:35

Well I have two boys with v plain but strong names (think apostles). If I'd had girls they'd have been called Catherine Lucy and Emily Jane but I really think May is so pretty. I came across it about 10 years ago with a student, and every time I had anything to do with her I thought about what a lovely name she had. I feel the same way about Alices and Sophies.

Minikievs Thu 23-Oct-14 22:28:13

Zombie thread but I'm dying to know what the OP eventually named her child. Arabella-Gabriella-Clarissa-Hermione Pompkinson-Smythe?

vienna1981 Thu 23-Oct-14 21:58:45

I don't have any children but, for what it's worth, these are my favourite girl's names:

Damaris

Erin

Alyssia

Auriel

No boy's names, I'm afraid !

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 20-Oct-14 22:03:04

Names are commonly used for a reason.

Many might not be to my taste but the above remains true.

Turns out I have posted on this thread before too, to point out that far worse than -May/Rose etc are the poor little girls who were called Daisy- with nothing after the hyphen. That I cannot get my head around. Why didn't the registrar in question say something?

ghostmous3 Mon 20-Oct-14 21:57:53

Well it wasnt extremely common and overused when I named dd 7 years ago mrsstanners

mrsstanners Mon 20-Oct-14 21:53:22

I agree it us extremely common and overused, think outside the box people! ��

ghostmous3 Mon 20-Oct-14 21:37:12

Er oops i didnt realise this was a zombie thread. Ive already commented twice under different name changes. blush

ghostmous3 Mon 20-Oct-14 21:33:21

Oh and dd was born in may

ghostmous3 Mon 20-Oct-14 21:29:28

Ffs nice to know my daughters name is vile and common. She is an Elinor Mae..no hyphen. She is Ellie for short.

She is named Elinor because its welsh and we live in wales and Ellie just stuck ad we liked it. MAE because my lovely great Aunt was called MAE.

is that ok? Dd is 7 now and to be honest when we named her Ellie Mae was not common at all, at least not round here. She is the only Ellie Mae in her school.

It has quite upset me this thread. Yy i need to get a life etc

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 20-Oct-14 21:20:41

poop

Americans have plenty to say about "redneck" and "trailer trash"names.

Greenrug85 Mon 20-Oct-14 21:11:09

I use one of those as a middle name for my baby as it is similar to my own name. It isn't hyphenated but quite frankly it isn't your name so don't see why it would bother you! hmm

MollyHooper Mon 20-Oct-14 19:17:37

It's vile? VILE YOU SAY?!

Is it dreadful and indecent too?

bellarations Mon 20-Oct-14 19:14:06

You sound like a miserable old trout, people can call their children what they like. How judgy and unpleasant you sound.

Iwantmyparcel Mon 20-Oct-14 18:52:05

100% agree. It's vile and common.

Hoppinggreen Mon 20-Oct-14 18:03:18

I think that people should call their child what they want, I don't like certain names and people might not like my choices.
However, I must admit my judginess kicks in ( before I give myself a mental slap when I see -Mai/Mae. What's wrong with May? And why the hyphen?
Me and DH apply the "Prime minister"test to names ( tongue in cheek)

FanjoForTheMammaries Mon 20-Oct-14 17:27:56

This thread was shitty the first time and still is

MOTU Mon 20-Oct-14 17:25:59

My daughters middle name is May, it was my mil's first name and the month she was born in, am I a chav?! What is it with people getting so het up over other people's choices that in no way affect them?!

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Mon 20-Oct-14 17:21:35

I think its pretty but why the zombie thread?

Gemzybelle Mon 20-Oct-14 17:17:41

I'm having the opposite problem - DC2 on the way and I'm worried all the names I like will make me sound like a pretentious twat grin

SweetsForMySweet Mon 20-Oct-14 16:52:44

YABVU and very rude. Who are you to say what other people call their children is chavvy or twee. It's their own business. I don't know of any children with those names but they seem to be popular and you have made such generalisations that your thread is setting out to offend alot of people unnecessarily IMO

Mumtobeyorkshire Mon 20-Oct-14 16:49:37

I just named our daughter Emilie-Mae after my great grandmother.

I know Mae/May/Mai is quite common as a middle name nowadays but perhaps it's not because people are being unoriginal but because it goes well with several first names and sounds beautiful and feminine?!

I think it's fine to dislike certain names but to imply that it is a sign of social status or class is really sad (and very Katie Hopkins like!)

I am not 'chavvy' and neither is my daughter and I think it's a shame anyone might prejudge her based solely on a name that both I and many people love!

PenguinsIsSleepDeprived Mon 20-Oct-14 16:49:09

Why has this zombie thread come back. Again.

ScarletFever Mon 20-Oct-14 16:46:40

i dont like hyphenated names at all / either

I like classic (boring) names - without crappy spelling either
names that end with/contain ii or ee

Scram Mon 20-Oct-14 16:33:10

my middle name is Mae (named after the great Mae Busch!) how is that chavvy?

TrisisFour Mon 20-Oct-14 16:26:56

Clearly people like the op who come on here judging these types of names and calling them chavvy obviously live in chavvy places if there are lot of the children around them with those names. Shall we judge you for living there op? wink

We live in a village and at dd's school there is only one child with one of these names! Each to their own.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now