IABVVVVU but I cringe inside when I see

(364 Posts)
AmataesAmataes Tue 21-May-13 14:14:56

Girls names with -Ella, -lily, -mae, -Rae, -lee or any variation

Following on from my name thread and a couple of threads I've seen about rochelle from the Saturdays new baby,I can't help but cringe when I see any of the above e.g. Gracie-Mae

I am being VVVV judgey pants but I find it so overdone, twee and chavvy.

I'm ready for my flaming!

DownstairsMixUp Fri 24-May-13 13:14:10

I wouldn't say it was chavvy op. Maybe common like the middle name Louise was quite common in the 80's, I swear nearly everyone has Louise has a middle name that was born in the 80s (including me!!) I wouldn't assume anyone was chavvy for having a baby called Gracie-Mae. I do know someone with a gracie-mae actually, I just think it's a name that was popular at the time and they liked it, no big deal. According to MN my son has a name which means he will be a raving little shitbag when his in school.

My name according to mn first name would be "silly" as it's very uncommon as a girls name, middle name common!

peachypips Fri 24-May-13 13:40:54

My friend's mum is called Brenda May Knott.
Genuinely!!!

scortja Fri 24-May-13 13:47:32

I don't understand how it became so popular.. To me it sounds trashy but I must be missing something..

I tried to start a conversation about it but it didn't end well.. Its just the connotations of -May names are very negative for me but for A LOT of other people they aren't.. So what are they imagining that I missed out on?!

I have a Hollie Mae but it's her middle name, not a double barrelled name.

I think it's pretty and don't really care what randoms on the net think, no offence.

LineRunner Thu 04-Jul-13 16:25:30

The original Ellie May Clampett was funny, sweet and gorgeous.

Well you clearly care enough to post on a several-months-old thread about it HaveIGot wink

JerseySpud Thu 04-Jul-13 16:38:37

I have a Holly-Mae grin but we're as far from chavvy as you can get

whats4teamum Thu 04-Jul-13 16:50:35

I might cringe at a child named Rupert and assume his father was a spluttering buffoon wearing brightly coloured jumbo cords teamed with mustard socks and his mother was a pearl clutching frump shackled to an aga.

Or then again I might push these cruel and baseless presumptions about someone's background to one side and see what the little chap and his family are really like.

You never know they might be nice but if you can't get past someone's name you will never know.

You'd hate me OP. I am so chavvy that I even spell the hyphen.

GoodTouchBadTouch Thu 04-Jul-13 17:13:42

I agree OP. Whether you are chavvy or not, most people will think you are.

LOL at the people with really common baby names who "have never met another evie-mae" OK, but you mustve seen it tatooed on a skinheads neck?

themaltesecat Thu 04-Jul-13 17:30:17

Zombie thread.

I think slagging off kids' names is a bit off.

However, my SIL is going to give my still-embryonic niece a Star Trek-related name, and I've had to bite my tongue!

spotscotch Thu 04-Jul-13 17:40:14

I don't find it 'chavvy' but Christ on a bike if I see one more birth announcement on Facebook featuring the middle names rose or may (or Mae/mai for those trying to be 'different' hmm ) then I will scream. It's just sooo unoriginal. Yes they are pretty but for the love of God use a little imagination!

LookingForwardToMarch Thu 04-Jul-13 17:45:20

Totally agree!

It's just so common now ( I mean common as in there are so many!)

I inwardly cringe at every gracie-may, lily-rae etc.

spotscotch Thu 04-Jul-13 17:51:27

Also, everyone apparently seems to be using rose/May/Lily type names after grandparents. All the old ladies I know are called Maud/Doris/Shirley! Obviously that means nothing, but I always sort of wanted an old relative with a really pretty name!

I was bored and looking through some old topics - I have no shame.

I actually didn't look up how popular my daughters name was going to be. I went with something I thought was pretty and nice and suited the way she looked iyswim. I don't think giving a baby a name that is original or imaginative is necessarily what people do either. Most people who give names that are unique are slated for giving weird names, so nobody can ever win really.

I think it's ridiculous giving people a label by the way and pretty pathetic of fully grown adults. Sure you might think 'it's not what I'd call my children' and that's good. I'd never name my child Rupert or Maude but would never dream of critiquing someone for naming their child it, why should I?

It just bugs me as seems so Katie Hopkinsy of people.

SarahAndFuck Sat 06-Jul-13 00:03:15

Eskino I think Moon Unit was a girl. The son was Dweezle.

I wouldn't use but don't dislike the names ending in Mai/Lily/Ella but I met an Emma-Lily today and that did seem a little odd, like trying to say Emily and not being able to stop.

ConfuzzledMummy Sat 06-Jul-13 00:07:11

Hmm did any of you watch This Morning with Katie Hopkins? My daughters middle name is Mae and personally I don't give a fuck how "chavvy" it sounds, I love it!

SpooMoo Sat 06-Jul-13 00:10:57

Did This Morning get the idea for their Katie Hopkins discussion from this thread? [Hmm]

halcyondays Sat 06-Jul-13 09:23:43

I quite like some of those names, I haven't met all that many with hyphenated names.

MrsWolowitz Sat 06-Jul-13 09:28:29

I know an Evie Mae.

Lovely little girl, lovely parents. Not "chavvy" at all.

Judge away but that says more about you than the people you're judging IMO.

HesterShaw Sat 06-Jul-13 09:33:43

Judge away, OP, if it makes you happy. At least they are pretty names and in my opinion nicer than names such as Mildred, Elsie, Archie, Reginald and Beryl, which some parents think are cool, retro and totally out there hmm

We all have our preferences. Why knock them?

PeachActiviaMinge Sat 06-Jul-13 09:44:33

OP is obviously Katie Hopkins I.e an insufferable snib

PeachActiviaMinge Sat 06-Jul-13 09:45:45

*snob I'm just obviously too chavvy with my DDs -rose name to be able to spell sad

sweetsummerlove Sat 06-Jul-13 09:56:04

We almost -rose for our daughter but decided against it as we felt it was all becoming a bit chavvy in this area, so it is her middle name and reserved for when she is naughty! lol

I work in a school and I actually can't think of a single child with any of those endings.

I have in a previous job worked with a Summer Song and her sister Rainbow. They were lovely girls (probably in their mid to late teens now).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now