Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think my child will not get bullied for being called.......

(130 Posts)
AmataesAmataes Tue 21-May-13 14:10:31

Rupert

36wks pg with baby no1, don't know the sex of the baby yet, however MIL, DM and various friends laughed when I suggest "Rupert James" was on our list for boys names, apparently if I call my son this he will be forever teased at school and be called "Rupert bear" expected to wear yellow trousers etc hmm. DH just shrugged about this.

So AIBU to tell them to mind there own and use this name anyway (if I have a son) or am I setting my child up for a life of torment?

Other names we like:

Frederick James (Freddie)
Archibald George (Archie)
Cassius Paul
Lucius George

Girls:

Penelope Rose
Delilah Jane
Clara Jane
Evangeline Jane

lollydollydrop Wed 22-May-13 16:58:13

hahaha!!! :D

Loulybelle Wed 22-May-13 16:57:53

I better get a man and make some boys then Begonia, before the others jump on the name bandwagon.

TheSecondComing Wed 22-May-13 16:56:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BegoniaBampot Wed 22-May-13 16:56:47

They are making an Assasins Creed movie so they will be very well known and popular in a few years.

XiCi Wed 22-May-13 16:54:11

To everyone saying that no child of this generation will have a clue who Rupert bear is, the programme is on Channel 5 every morning. My 2 year old watches it so kids his age will be aware of it. Not that I would let the fact that a kids tv character had the name put me off

I really don't like Rupert though. It just sounds really wet. I think people have strong perceptions of what someone with a name like Rupert would be like as a person (as evidenced on this thread)and I wouldn't want my DS saddled with being labelled in this way

Loulybelle Wed 22-May-13 16:53:42

Yeah Heartbroken, it is, sad i know, but i do love Assassins Creed.

Heartbrokenmum73 Wed 22-May-13 16:50:04

Is it because of Assassin's Creed, Loulybelle?

lollydollydrop Wed 22-May-13 16:47:48

Do tell!!

Loulybelle Wed 22-May-13 16:36:50

Lolly Im afraid there is an even sadder reason why i like Ezio and Altair.

Cherriesarelovely Wed 22-May-13 16:32:28

Oh, one exception. I do have a friend who has given her child very unusual names that are "not names" iyswim. Can't say as they are too unusual but they are something like Calm and Happy! They actually suit the girls really well but even their parents get sick to death of people saying "WHAT?" everytime someone asks their names. Likewise a friend of DDs who has the same name as a piece of fruit not usually used as a name! On the other hand people never forget these kids names!

Cherriesarelovely Wed 22-May-13 16:26:05

I never liked the name Rupert until this year when I had a Rupert in my class and he is so lovely I now adore the name! I think all of your name choices are great by the way. I have taught some children with some extremely unusual names and beyond the initial surprise I haven't known any of them to be teased about them.

lollydollydrop Wed 22-May-13 16:16:23

Loulybelle, I would just think that you really,really liked eagles wink

lollydollydrop Wed 22-May-13 16:12:40

appletarts are you Northern by any chance? grin Your post made me LOL

lollydollydrop Wed 22-May-13 16:10:33

(The names on OP's list are very 'Southern'). One poster referred to them all as 'pretentious' and I see she is from Liverpool near me grin Fwiw I love the name, but would never use it because I want to settle in the North/like down to earth people/do think it is a name that is judged (like Hugo)/wouldn't want to be mis-percieved as pretentious just coz of a name. Which I would be living in Manchester. Also, cute as a toddler, can be strong as a man (Everitt) but as a teenager... its a bit... wet

lollydollydrop Wed 22-May-13 16:07:22

I think you may find a bit of a North/South divide on this name. Just saying...

Loulybelle Tue 21-May-13 21:50:39

Appletarts, what do you think about my boy name choices, Ezio and Altair, are they pretentious too?

Because OP obviously likes those names, and they are really nice names, i really do adore Rupert James.

appletarts Tue 21-May-13 21:47:04

Yes that is true. Schools will be chocka block with them and these sorts of names will be like gary and jason in 15 years time. I just find it grating hearing all the arrrtiiieeeess and Emmaaalllinnnesss at the playground. Got pmt sorry!

KatyTheCleaningLady Tue 21-May-13 21:45:20

The names in the OP are classic names. Some of them may be a bit old-fashioned, but do we really need more Mike's and Jennifer's?

It's not like they're making names up or making up Kreaytyve spellings for them.

adverbial Tue 21-May-13 21:43:55

They might be pretentious to you, appletarts, but perfectly ordinary choices for the OP.

HumphreyCobbler Tue 21-May-13 21:43:21

You sound like a tone deaf person complaining that everyone who listens to music is pretentious. Those are all nice names. You may not like them, that is fair enough. Some people will though.

appletarts Tue 21-May-13 21:39:15

Why do people go for these ridiculous pretentious names that are meant to somehow indicate to other people that you are interesting, cool, not average when really people who choose such names are just the opposite. Rupert is ok but the rest are flouncy arse. Just my opinion. How about petula, francine, margot, edmund, ralph oh and artie.... zzzzz "Ooh Dave how about petula? Sounds a bit different don't it"

chandellina Tue 21-May-13 21:22:55

My four year old knows Rupert bear, but who cares, he also knows tree fu Tom and baby Jake. Go for it, lovely name.

landofsoapandglory Tue 21-May-13 20:42:54

My hamster's called Rupert, he's bloody lovely!

I like the name Rupert but wouldn't have used it for my DC if I'm honest.

ShadowStorm Tue 21-May-13 20:27:15

Oh, and ignore name advice from your parents generation. Most of them will have no idea about what kind of names are popular today, or about what names are currently likely to attract ridicule.

ShadowStorm Tue 21-May-13 20:24:56

I don't think calling a child Rupert would be any worse than giving him a name associated with any other children's character.

But, to all the people who think that no child of today will have heard of Rupert the Bear - Channel 5 are currently showing episodes of Rupert Bear on their early morning milkshake schedule. So children who watch milkshake on Channel 5 may well come across Rupert Bear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now