To think my child will not get bullied for being called.......

(130 Posts)
AmataesAmataes Tue 21-May-13 14:10:31

Rupert

36wks pg with baby no1, don't know the sex of the baby yet, however MIL, DM and various friends laughed when I suggest "Rupert James" was on our list for boys names, apparently if I call my son this he will be forever teased at school and be called "Rupert bear" expected to wear yellow trousers etc hmm. DH just shrugged about this.

So AIBU to tell them to mind there own and use this name anyway (if I have a son) or am I setting my child up for a life of torment?

Other names we like:

Frederick James (Freddie)
Archibald George (Archie)
Cassius Paul
Lucius George

Girls:

Penelope Rose
Delilah Jane
Clara Jane
Evangeline Jane

HibiscusIsland Tue 21-May-13 14:21:32

He played Ron Weasley in Harry Potter films

MrsKoala Tue 21-May-13 14:22:53

oh, never seen them or heard of him! I don't have children of potter fandom age grin

DesperatelySeekingSedatives Tue 21-May-13 14:23:11

Ignore ignore and ignore some more! Honestly I'm 27 and theres quite possibly people my age who don't have a scooby who Rupert Bear is. Your DC and their class mates certainly wont.

I got people poo-pooing a lot of our chosen baby names. According to MIL it would be cruel to call a child Lucy because she would get called loo or worse toilet hmm . Similarly my mum put me right off the name William because she would have called him Willie. hmm Honestly these people are adults and are old enough to know better!

CecilyP Tue 21-May-13 14:32:35

I love the idea that your mum and MIL think modern children have the faintest idea who Rupert Bear is.

I don't think he will be bullied - when children start school they will hear loads of names that they have never heard before and these names will become normal to them.

AmataesAmataes Tue 21-May-13 14:34:47

Fanny - don't even get me started on the private vs state debate.....that's a whole other topic!

AllegraLilac Tue 21-May-13 14:36:02

Ruperts is fine.
Lucius Malfoy might be a problem.

Eskino Tue 21-May-13 14:37:23

Rupert is lovely and Ru must be one of the sweetest nn's ever. Little Roo smile aaaah!

livinginwonderland Tue 21-May-13 14:38:34

do kids these days really not know who rupert bear is? i helped out at a kids club as a teenager (i'm 24 now) and a little girl i looked after was only 5 (this was in about 2002) and she loved rupert bear!

adverbial Tue 21-May-13 14:40:04

No. Ignore. It's a great name.
Though some people think it's a class-connected name, and yes, as somebody mentioned, it may attract inverted snobbery-type comments.

BarredfromhavingStella Tue 21-May-13 14:41:18

Go with Rupert & sod them-only girl name I like off your list is Evangeline, it's very pretty.

adverbial Tue 21-May-13 14:41:22

Rupert Bear is a positive connection anyway, I'd have thought? Not teasing potential.

adverbial Tue 21-May-13 14:42:43

I like Penelope and Lucius from your other choices.

Laurence jumps out as another similar possibility for you (not that you asked for suggestions blush)

qwertymclate Tue 21-May-13 14:43:49

I don't like Rupert. Reminds me of the bear and sounds a bit wet. Your other choices are great though.

SirBoobAlot Tue 21-May-13 14:44:11

Please anything but Freddie and Archie. There's thousands of them. That said, Lucius just makes me think of Lucius Malfoy, and Cassius is just one step too Roman for me... I like Rupert smile

All your girls names are nice.

Bowlersarm Tue 21-May-13 14:46:39

Rupert is fine. A simple but uncommon name. It'll just become him.

I know two young teen Ruperts-one is a bit of a pain but one is gorgeous and gets lots of attention from the girls.

belfastbigmillie Tue 21-May-13 14:47:26

Rupert is a lovely name.

curiousgeorgie Tue 21-May-13 14:49:00

Rupert is a great name!

My first bf was Rupert nn roo and he was cool wink

KatyTheCleaningLady Tue 21-May-13 14:51:08

OP, I like all the names you listed. smile

MonstrousPippin Tue 21-May-13 14:53:33

I think Rupert James is a lovely name and definitely the best out of your boys options.

I'm not especially taken with your girls name options but I don't think any of them are terrible which is the best you can hope for most of the time!

I say go with Rupert if it's a boy. Great name. smile

scarletforya Tue 21-May-13 14:58:00

I love Evangeline and Clara.

Rupert not so much. It sounds a bit 'cissy' -he would get terribly teased. Sorry! blush

Takver Tue 21-May-13 14:58:31

I think its just their age - certainly the first time I met a Rupert (as a very naive midlander just gone to uni) I was a bit shock, but that was 20+ years ago!

People these days call their dc all sorts, I don't think there are the same strong class links to names as in the 60s/70s - when I was at school if you weren't called Sharon, Tracy or Kevin then you were obviously posh grin

Takver Tue 21-May-13 15:00:05

Having said that anything goes, probably best not to call your son Sharon! But apart from that, I wouldn't stress, and I certainly wouldn't tell anyone the name in advance . . .

DreamingOfTheMaldives Tue 21-May-13 15:03:35

I think Rupert James is lovely.

I'm 26 weeks pregnant and we need to start thinking about names. Don't think we're going to tell anyone what we've thought of though because too many people have an opinion. Yes MIL, I'm looking at you. Every time I casually mention a name we quite like, she pulls a face. Grrrrrrrr

Once we are giving serious consideration to names, I think I will just shut the hell up and not tell anyone. particularly MIL

CAF275 Tue 21-May-13 15:10:15

Rupert James sounds lovely - go for it. If anyone looks hmm at the choice of Rupert, just point out it hasn't done Rupert Penty-Jones any harm!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now