Branded a Witch (BBC3) (shocking content)

(28 Posts)
pigletmania Tue 21-May-13 10:41:37

Did anyone see this programme last night? It was shocking that these attitudes exist. The reporter went to The Congo and the reporter witnessed a little boy being exorcised, it was so distressing to see. He was away from his mum and dad, the reporter as the child being beaten, being forced to drink hot palm oil, and being given a palm oil enema. He was crying and shouting, I was shock and sad. I don't think I would have been able to not intervene. Another girl about 11/12 had horrific burns that were not being treated, being exorcised from this kindoki (sp).

Funny how it's vulnerable Chidren being abused like this, because they can get away with it. These pastors are are making money from ignorant parents and vulnerable children.

pigletmania Tue 21-May-13 14:40:54

I agree with babyheave, it's abuse however much you disguise it. I will donate to Steppingstones, thanks Jesus

cory Tue 21-May-13 14:42:54

Me too, piglet. And I think it a good thing that we are becoming more aware of this particular form of abuse in the UK, as it does happen here too and can be very difficult to identify and deal with for a SW with no previous training or experience.

pigletmania Tue 21-May-13 15:07:53

Exactly cory and professionals probably fear getting involved due it being a cultural thing. The same used to be with frced marriages and honour killings but there is now more public awareness and laws in place to help prevent it. There are more systems of help for victims I believe

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now