to wonder why we, and our mums, used to wear the silly garments...

(116 Posts)
KatrineEM Mon 20-May-13 20:25:06

petticoats?

I don't remember what age my sisters and I stopped having to wear petticoats (thin, little dresses under clothing), but I've never even thought of dressing my DD in one.

Mums used to wear underskirts, with elasticated waistbands, didn't they? I wonder why?

AIBU to think petticoats are/were a silly garment?

MrsHoarder Tue 21-May-13 12:05:20

I might make myself a silk one if I can get a pale silk in the sale at some point.

I had one underneath my pinafore in infants, but have no idea what a liberty bodice is.

TheSmallClanger Tue 21-May-13 12:10:32

I had to wear one of those kilt ones sometimes at infant school. I hated the bloody thing.

I never ever wear them now - I almost always wear tights with skirts anyway. DD has never owned or worn one, apart from as part of a godawful bridesmaid dress she had when she was 9.

Chandon Tue 21-May-13 12:15:43

I would love for petticoats to come back into fashion.

They make skirts flair out, it is pretty and fun.

I have one with a 50s dress, but am too shy to wear it....

frillyflower Tue 21-May-13 14:50:06

Petticoats are really nothing to do with washing or cleanliness! They are all about giving you a better line under a sheer dress or skirt and preventing static cling.

1944girl Tue 21-May-13 22:38:33

To the poster who mentioned M&S bra slips.
I loved those.I wore them during my second pregnancy in 1972 for some reason, but they were lovely.
Never used a horrible maternity bra.Those bra slips were OK

YoniTime Tue 21-May-13 22:42:09

Can you wear full slips underneath skirts with tops? Or would that fit strangely.

garlicgrump Tue 21-May-13 22:51:51

Another "Oooh! Yes!" to the bra slips smile I'd forgotten about them - they were great; all your trimmings held together nice and smooth!
Yoni - yes, they were a fitted shape so they didn't bag around the waist, if that's what you were thinking. I don't think it would look right under a skin-tight top, though ... <ponders> Mind you, I bag around the waist these days so I'd need a very special kind of 'fit' blush

I'm really glad you thought of this, Katrine, I'm going to get or make some. That nice feeling of my clothes fitting over my body - instead of feeling like they're desperately gripping here and there - shall be mine once more!

garlicgrump Tue 21-May-13 22:54:30
PiratePanda Tue 21-May-13 23:01:41

Women wore them for warmth and withe cheap unlined skirts as a form of lining. I don't own a petticoat, but I do own a slip to go under a couple of slightly seethrough pale/white dresses and tunics. Actually, it helps give line to an outfit too. I'm a bit of a fan.

PiratePanda Tue 21-May-13 23:05:41

Oh, and kilt vests! I was obsessively attached to mine as a child and refused to wear anything else!

burberryqueen Tue 21-May-13 23:11:44

oh my daughter had one of those kilt vests, it was superb.
and i had an underskirt for a summer dress i wore once and nearly caused a car crash as it was totally see thru.....(i was younger then obvs.)

LeonieDeSainteVire Tue 21-May-13 23:14:35

I loved my petticoats as a little girl (1970s) they were usually lacy and much prettier than the corduroy pinafores I had to wear on top. IIRC all my friends wore them too, it was a standard undergarment and definitely not to be seen under your clothes.

Whoever mentioned the phrase 'Charlie's dead' I had forgotten that completely but yes, showing your slip under your skirt hem by secondary age was highly embarrassing - like having a bra strap on show. How things have changed grin

500internalerror Tue 21-May-13 23:16:00

I wear one every day hmmconfused

garlicgrump Tue 21-May-13 23:24:12

"Charlie's dead" or "It's snowing down south!"

Looking for bra slips, I've now discovered shapewear slips which might well be the very garment I need. Any undergarment with 26% lycra has got to be a bonus! Not so pretty, perhaps ... I can see myself stocking up on lycra slips AND pretty petticoats to go on top of them.

nickschick Tue 21-May-13 23:30:51

I sold a charnos one on ebay last year for about £20

BoreOfWhabylon Wed 22-May-13 03:30:36

Oh, well done garlicgrump! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now