To expect this replacing

(45 Posts)
Chewmebush Mon 20-May-13 20:07:02

Last week I noticed the carpet on the downstairs toilet was wet. It seemed to be coming from the boiler. I contacted customer services as the house is a new build and we have only been in 6 months. They sent a plumber out who couldn't see the leak and said keep an eye on it. Over the weekend it has got worse. To the point you squelch when walking on the carpet. I contacted the site office today and a plumber came round and located and fixed the leak. It took about an hour.
Would I be unreasonable to ask for replacement flooring? It is still very squelchy underfoot. Thanks all in advance.

TheChaoGoesMu Tue 21-May-13 10:06:30

I would ask for a replacement, there's no harm in trying.

Chewmebush Tue 21-May-13 10:20:34

Shewhow-they are still building, but I'm not bothered about having the carpet replaced now. So I suppose I will just have to suck it up and shop around for some vinyl smile

MomsNetCurtains Tue 21-May-13 10:56:44

If it's a new build there is a 10 year warranty that comes as standard. I have a new build flat that I rent out which had a leak in the second bedroom from the flashing.
It was covered by NHBC and has been rectified. Three times, but that's another thread.
Here is a link to see if it applies to you.

NHBC LINK

mercibucket Tue 21-May-13 11:18:42

sorry if my input sounded less than helpful grin
so, the longer version
yes, ask away, esp if the site is still open, but its not worth an insurance claim, its 6 months on and probably not covered under the housebuilders insurance scheme, the carpet is knackered, you say you cant afford new vinyl, honestly, try freegle. i had loads left over after doing my bathroom floor, most people do, and its easy to fit ( you could try measuring round the carpet to get a pattern, works with vinyl, maybe not with carpet).

LouiseSmith Tue 21-May-13 11:21:19

I would ask because had the first plumber located and fixed the leek the whole thing could have been avoided.

xx

imaginethat Tue 21-May-13 11:52:33

That is terrible!

We had a leak recently and, although the house is 7 yrs old, the builder came back to assess and supplied his team to repair. New builds carry a 10 yr warranty.

Chewmebush Tue 21-May-13 12:25:15

I'm going to email customer services shortly advising them that I am unhappy with the outcome.

imaginethat Tue 21-May-13 12:49:13

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Chewmebush Tue 21-May-13 14:29:27

Imagine-thanks, the email has been sent I also asked for them to address some snagging issues which they have failed to in the past. I will update.

We have a 6 year old house with stacks of problems inc a hole in our roof both sides where our false chimney's connect to it.
Xmas eve, our sons bedroom ceiling leaked, and above our room was leaking but it didn't come through.
The nhbc finally came out 2 weeks ago, we got a letter last week telling us it wasn't a valid claim!! We are in a 3 storey detached house, so scaffolding would have to go either side, but we were told that due to the total being under £1324, they wouldn't fix it (we think they may use a cherry picker instead thus being cheaper).
We have lots of different issues, but each issue is a separate claim, and again under the min claim individually, so they won't fix it.
We've got to pay for it ourselves to be fixed. Will never buy a 'new' house again! We've alway bought older houses in villages and never had a problem with a leaky roof! This is our first new house in town.......been here 10 months and already looking at properties to move to!

MomsNetCurtains Tue 21-May-13 15:51:52

Eh, yeah Chewmebush no problem for trying to help you out....good luck with that. hmm

thefirstmrsrochester Tue 21-May-13 15:53:26

Seconding the NHBC route.
Your insurance should cover the damage but would look to recover their outlays (and your excess) through the NHBC scheme.
No plumbing that I know of wears out in 6 months!

Chewmebush Tue 21-May-13 21:23:33

Mumsnetcurtains- ? Did I say something wrong ? Not sure...

Inertia Tue 21-May-13 21:40:16

Please don't put caustic soda in a bowl in your bathroom, as advised above!

It's toxic and burns through skin and eyes - it's used in outdoor drain cleaners.

I think they may have meant bicarbonate of soda maybe?

Chewmebush Wed 22-May-13 13:44:00

Just to update. I contacted customer services and they tried to ring me and left a message. I have tried getting back to them but they have been unavailable so I've also left a couple of messages. Just had a knock on the door a carpet guy come to replace the carpet out of the blue no forwarning and i have to leave in half an hour anyway. As stated in my previous posts I'm going to go with some vinyl now so I told him thanks but no thanks.

Result :-) will they do your vinyl? grin

Chewmebush Wed 22-May-13 13:57:47

Choccywoccy-was hoping that the guy would offer but he didn't. I take it he doesn't make the executive decisions smile

daisydoodoo Wed 22-May-13 14:02:58

poundland do packs of vinyl tiles, obviusly they arent the most luxuriant of vinyl but once laid look fab. the landlord in a previous property wouldnt replace cracked damaged vinyl (that was also heavily yellow by the toilet eew) but he agreed to us laying vinyl tiles out of our own pocket. the downstairs loo cost less than £5, i think it was 3 packs and one or two tiles from another pack and the bathroom less that £10.

Take up the carpet, underlay and grips and hopefully as its a newbuild you will have sheet ply as the flooring and not floorboards, which are a nice smooth surface to lay the vinyl tiles on.

If you havent got a poundland near you, b&q do a value range for about £3 a pack, which are the exact same tiles in them as the poundland ones.

daisydoodoo Wed 22-May-13 14:03:30

ok, so i should read completley to the end of a thread before posting. blush

Chewmebush Wed 22-May-13 14:23:14

Lol at daisy grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now