Sorry, another parking one. Who is being unreasonable here?

(89 Posts)
dawnpreview Mon 20-May-13 16:50:04

We have lived in our house for 8 years. Small cul-de-sac with some parking at the end near our house. For all the time we have lived here, DH and I have parked in the same spots- in the 2 spaces nearest the houses. Never has there been any trouble with parking.
New neighbours have just moved in next door and suddenly I have been pushed out of my parking space. The bloke asked me earlier if I could move my car over so his wife could park nearest the house, as it is easier for them to get the young kids out of the car.
I did move it, but when his wife came home I went out and said I felt it was a bit off to suddenly be asked to park elsewhere just because they wanted that space. They argued that it was because of getting the kids in and out (baby and 3 year old), and said as mine are older (5) it is easier for me to park over the other side of the close.
I realise this sounds extremely petty, and there is no reason that I can't park elsewhere. It is after all a public road, and no one owns the spaces. It just really annoys me that I have been pushed out of my parking space by people who have only lived here a week. I wouldn't dream of moving into a new street and turfing someone else out of a space they had parked in for 8 years.
So, am I being unreasonable to feel so put out by this? Or are the new neighbours unreasonable for coming in and disrupting our long standing parking arrangements?

Chocolate and wine for anyone who hasn't yet died of boredom!

Damnautocorrect Mon 20-May-13 18:22:37

First come first served, they bought the house with a baby and toddler knowing there was no parking. I wouldn't move again.

MrsKoala Mon 20-May-13 18:27:53

I don't understand why you moved it. When someone asked i would have just said 'no, it's parked legally' (which is what i have said when my neighbours want us to move when parked outside their house). First come first served. Just park there and if they ask you again say no with a smile.

Nanny0gg Mon 20-May-13 18:35:05

They had the temerity to politely ask, rather than just take it over, and they're wrong?

I thought they were being quite reasonable, actually.

diddl Mon 20-May-13 18:43:17

Well if there are some houses & some parking spaces I think that most people would assume one space per house, wouldn't they?

dawnpreview Mon 20-May-13 18:47:03

It's not that there are only 2 spaces, there is easily space for 5 cars if everyone parks properly. Only 7 houses in street, some without cars, a couple with a drive. The parking is not in marked bays or anything. It is more like a turning circle at the end, with everyone parking in the circle bit. Houses just up one side of the road, and trees on the other side. Our house is at the top end of the circle if that makes sense?
We have been very lucky that parking has not been a problem for so long, but I guess things change. It is not so much that I have to park elsewhere, more the fact that I was just expected to move just because it suited them.
Think I will knock on their door tomorrow, just to say I don't want to fall out over this, and if we all park sensibly there should be room for everyone.

HollyBerryBush Mon 20-May-13 18:52:42

If they aren't allocated bays, first come, first served. I'm sure the extra 6 foot walk won't kill your neighbour, nor you should happen to park there first.

Ditto, if it's a public road, as nice as it is to park outside your house
for convenience, any one who had road tax etc is entitled to park there.

ivykaty44 Mon 20-May-13 18:54:24

take them round a cake or casserole and be friendly, or invite a few neighbours round to yours and include them so they can get to know you and the other neighbours.

MammaMedusa Mon 20-May-13 18:56:31

I am on the only one of our neighbours with children. If there is a park outside our house, I take it. If the parks "belonging" to the neighbours are empty, and mine is not, I park further away (where there are no houses) and walk back. Sometimes it is nice to be nice, and life is too short to seethe about parking. If I had heavy bags or extra children, I would take "their" parks and I am sure they would be fine with it (thus far they have been anyway).

If I were you, I would park in the further park whenever it were convenient. Save making things harder for them for when you really have to (weekly shop, packing for a holiday, type ocassions).

UniS Mon 20-May-13 18:58:40

If its more important to you that DH can park close to your house then you need to give a bit and park your car a tiny bit further away. rude to hog BOTH spaces closest to the 2 houses all the time.

Hullygully Mon 20-May-13 19:01:21

it is odd they asked you to move

EglantinePrice Mon 20-May-13 19:02:30

First come first served.

Its not 'your' space but you know that.

They were very cheeky to come and ask you to move your car when they have no claim to the space and could've just parked fractionally further away.

People like this - give them an inch and they'll take a mile.

PearlyWhites Mon 20-May-13 19:02:53

Yabu have you forgotten how hard it can be to get a baby and a toddler in and out of the car. Also you want to take up two spaces on the same side.

badguider Mon 20-May-13 19:05:55

I think you're all totally mad for wanting to pick spaces and stick to them anyway.
We just park in the nearest space free to the house when we arrive home. Sometimes it's close, sometimes far, some people have babies, some have bad backs for carrying stuff, sometimes people have luggage and sometimes they don't, it all evens out in the end.

Only exception is where there's somebody with a disabled space. That's theirs and obviously left empty when they're not there.

WinterMammy Mon 20-May-13 19:17:40

We live in a cul de sac too, I don't park near the kerb because people always park behind me and trap me in! So I park in the middle (there's only 2 of us round here with cars). DD is only 3, and she knows to check for cars and go straight to the path, so using her kids as an excuse is poor because cul de sacs are hardly busy.

When I first moved here I parked right outside my house which is at the beginning of the road and I wasn't taking anybody's spot then, but after having my wing mirror completely taken off twice by the council I now park were everybody else does.

quoteunquote Mon 20-May-13 19:39:42

Throw a party and make friends with all of your neighbours.

Ezza1 Mon 20-May-13 19:46:38

Am I the only one who has never found getting a toddler plus baby in and out of the car a problem?

RedHelenB Mon 20-May-13 19:48:27

YABU to expect to have two places right near your house!

WinterMammy Mon 20-May-13 19:58:35

Whats YABU? grin

littlepeas Mon 20-May-13 19:58:54

Two of our neighbours have a similar parking thing - they both have 3 cars, one neighbour has a 2 car drive and the other has a garage and a 1 car drive - they do all sorts of passive aggressive bits and bobs in the area which is actually supposed to be for turning. I'm just glad we're not involved! Although OP, I have to say, if someone parks in 'my' space (I park on the road, directly outside our house) I get a bit narked, even though it is on road parking and not actually mine in the slightest. So YABU, but I would be too! I realise that's no help whatsoever!

Alanna1 Mon 20-May-13 20:03:17

Seriously? Clearly the baby-and-toddler on your own is tough. And its a cul-de-sac? I live in central London. We consider ourselves lucky if the space is anywhere nearby, and I use the double buggy if on my own!

Jan49 Mon 20-May-13 20:07:44

I would just ignore the issue and park there when it's free. I think they are BVU.

But I would try and be friendly with them in general because it's worth being on good terms with neighbours.smile

Idocrazythings Mon 20-May-13 20:13:48

They are cheeky as hell.

I am lucky to get a spot out the front of my house and currently there are at least five cars in the street that have just been parked, left and not moved for over a week by goodness knows who- I did see a well dressed couple the other day get into their car with a suitcase- obviously they have been on a holiday and left it in one of the last "free streets to park" that is near busses and trains in London, rather than pay for parking elsewhere.

I still though would never dream of asking anyone to move their car or keep out of "my spot". which does not exist unfortunately even though it can be a real struggle having to park around the corner.

Idocrazythings Mon 20-May-13 20:15:12

Can you tell it really annoys me?

Sunnymeg Mon 20-May-13 20:15:36

YABU it is first come, first served. If they don't like the parking situation then why did they move there ( as my husband once said to one of our neighbours)!

Bowlersarm Mon 20-May-13 20:17:01

I don't think you're being unreasonable, but unfortunately there isn't much you can do about it if it's first come first served and not designated.

The trouble is that because you have been able to park quite happily there for years, in your mind it's become 'yours' and now some one has come along in effect and used your space!

I think either you'll just have to come to an amicable arrangement with the new neighbours that suits you both, but if they don't cooperate in the way you would like you're just going to have to change your way of thinking to along them lines of "well, we have been very lucky over the last eight years, and it has been handy parking there when the kids were tiny but now things have changed so we have to get along with the new arrangement......"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now