To ask how you best utilise your Clubcard points?

(96 Posts)
MoanyYoni Mon 20-May-13 16:16:44

I'm quite new to the Tesco Clubcard points system and have just received my third statement which has £10 worth of vouchers.

Of the last 2 statements, one we put directly to that week's shop and the other was near Christmas so we did the exchange and bought toys for DC.

Neither coupon had got to more than £10 though. Looking through the leaflet I can see you can use points for all kinds of restaurants, days out etc. How do you use your points? Do you think it's best to save them all up till you've collected enough for something significant?

BornToFolk Mon 20-May-13 20:04:55

I've just used £15 of vouchers to get a Friends and Family railcard (worth £28). It'll save about a third off rail fares and as I'm planning on taking DS on a big rail trip this summer, it's paid for itself already.

The Clubcard exchange is well worth it, I did it last year before Christmas and got toy vouchers towards DS's present.

And I'd done days out too - Legoland and the Sea Life centre. Just using them on shopping is a bit of a waste really.

MortifiedAdams Mon 20-May-13 20:05:24

You can stay at Marriott Hotels on the vouchers but nit sure of the exchange rate.

Growlithe Mon 20-May-13 20:06:44

That's what we do scarlet you get points when you use it in other shops too (obviously less).

scarletcrossbones Mon 20-May-13 20:07:42

Wow, dolallylass. Is that £1880 in vouchers, or that's the amount you got after exchanging them - so 1/4 of that in vouchers, or so? (I'm still confuddled!)

we got £200 off a return channel tunnel crossing in august.

brill!

DontMeanToBeRudeBut Mon 20-May-13 20:13:02

I swap ours for days out. So far we've been to Woburn and Whipsnade for free and I've just used this quarter's vouchers for tickets to take DS to Thomas Land at Drayton Manor in August. Can't wait!

amigababy Mon 20-May-13 20:13:46

switch up to one of the chain restaurants at 4 x value, receive about £80 and use it to pay for teenage DD 's birthday meal for around 8 friends. We just give her some cash for the (soft) drinks.

RedPencils Mon 20-May-13 20:14:44

Voycher exchange for toys at Xmas and school uniform in summer
Just bought a railcard
Pizza express vouchers.

I don't buy good shopping just petrol.

KansasCityOctopus Mon 20-May-13 20:15:53

i use mine on the exchange for outfitting the kids for holiday and school, and the november ones i use for xmas presents.

raisah Mon 20-May-13 20:17:34

I am saving ours this year to book a holuday for next year. Money is tight this year so we cant afford to go away in the summer. It is a good way to save for treats & for emergency supplies when funds low.

Both DDs have been desperate for Furbys (the party rocks ones).
Were £20 each reduced to £15 , with Clubcard voucher exchange we've got £30 worth of vouchers for only £15. Sweet.

I did originally have a Good Food subscription with them but have stopped this because a) recipes now less good, b)deal was less good and c) DH threatened divorce if one more magazine took up residence with the 200 others we already have.

dolallylass Mon 20-May-13 21:00:20

Scarlett -£1880 - it's the amount after x3. I never get x4 as that's not on the 'good stuff'. That only changed a year ago used all be x4. Can't complain though still a fab deal. And it forces is to have a holiday wink too good a deal miss!

PoppyWearer Mon 20-May-13 21:01:32

We save them for Christmas.

Pantone363 Mon 20-May-13 21:07:04

Christmas club.

We had about £180 last year, doubled up into toy exchange and bought all the kids presents!!

Saved about £40 for extra food goodies.

Combined with park vouchers (£150 amazon), Xmas was pretty much paid for!

Pantone363 Mon 20-May-13 21:08:18

Also if you are an EON customer don't forget you get points for that too.

GemmaTeller Mon 20-May-13 21:08:49

Save them up for christmas or a treat.

Last christmas I doubled my vouchers for the electrical dept, used a £10 online discount voucher and bought a top of the range Hoover that was in the sale and only had to pay £30 in actual cash.

woohoo,

scarletcrossbones Mon 20-May-13 21:14:44

I see, dolally, thanks for clarifying! I am definitely saving mine for another year now!

scarletcrossbones Mon 20-May-13 21:15:27

I am an EON customer, I wonder if they'll backdate my points ...?

elfycat Mon 20-May-13 21:15:52

We started using them to pay for OU courses but as soon as we signed up to the credit card they stopped the OU offer (sigh).

We've tiled the hallway and bathroom on the Topps Tile offer, and with a new kitchen in the planning we are saving for new tiles again.

Vouchers that were getting close to their 2 year expiry have been exchanged for Denby vouchers upgrading chipped bowls and Pizza Express vouchers.

Fuckwittery Mon 20-May-13 21:18:38

We were using them for restaurants but think I might save for a holiday now.
last year we were camping in the Lake District, so I looked up days out there and local restaurants etc and converted my vouchers for things we wanted to do It didn't quite work out as we didn't when we got there actually end up doing all those things, but that was just before they stopped letting you return the rewards vouchers so I was able to return them and covert back into points (at least I hope so, I've never had any confirmation they did actually covert them back)

We got a tesco credit card in order to maximise points, we put all our monthly spending on it and pay it off every month in full.
We would get more points except you can't use credit cards at Lidl!

McNewPants2013 Mon 20-May-13 21:28:28

we are going to legoland for free, got £30 in Clubcard vouchers.

monkeysox Mon 20-May-13 21:59:10

ooooh thanks for this thread, just reminded me about ours. just got theme park tickets and enough hotel vouchers for 2 nights stay. only petrol and food to pay for. yay!

Purple2012 Mon 20-May-13 22:07:40

I always spend mine on shopping but I think I will save them and see if I can get part of a trip to london with them.

I put pretty much everything on the credit card and pay the full amount off each month so it is free money

skyeskyeskye Mon 20-May-13 22:08:58

Back in 2007 we had a new kitchen fitted using Tesco vouchers through MFI. Saved about £1200.

Been to Sealife as well, £5 gets you entry which would cost £18 otherwise.

I've got a Tesco credit card which I put everything on and earn around £35 in vouchers every quarter.

It really is a waste to just use them for grocery shopping IMO.

nohalfmeasures Mon 20-May-13 22:13:57

Airmiles or Avios miles. The exchange rate is good

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now