About my brothers wedding?

(88 Posts)
Freshcutgrass Mon 20-May-13 14:00:04

I think I ABU but I'm not sure.

My brothers been with his partner for nearly 8 years. They don't want children and have always been blase about marriage saying it's outdated etc.

Now they're buying a house and making wills etc., it seems life will be much easier for them if they're married.

So because they don't really see marriage as anything big, they've decided to get hitched in a small room with 2 witnesses, no ceremony to speak of, no invites, no reception, no photos etc. They're not even that bothered about our parents (or her parents) being there.

I feel quite hurt by this because I haven't been invited but I see my brothers wedding as a big event that I'd like to be at. But they don't see it as a big event. Therefore, I'm worried I ABU but I can't help feeling a bit sad

Sorry- very ranty post

Freshcutgrass Mon 20-May-13 14:21:19

Backforgood I have two brothers. One got married with big white wedding business a few years ago. So inviting me would mean inviting my other bro and his wife as well.

My DBs partner is an only child though so no siblings to invite on her side.

OctopusWrangler Mon 20-May-13 14:21:23

Good for them, and for you for knowing deep down you're just being irrationally sisterlygrin

Freshcutgrass Mon 20-May-13 14:22:49

OctopusWrangler Ah shucks!

pictish Mon 20-May-13 14:24:27

Yes yabu. It's up to them.

GlassofRose Mon 20-May-13 14:24:53

OP,

What do you mean by right of passage?

LaRegina Mon 20-May-13 14:25:17

Sorry but YABU.

IF you want to play weddings why not organise yourself one to get your vows renewed or something? Or just buy this

LaRegina Mon 20-May-13 14:25:43

wink

SvetlanaKirilenko Mon 20-May-13 14:26:11

YABU (and you know it, well done), this is what we did because it was what we wanted. It was wonderful and stress-free and made us very happy.

diddl Mon 20-May-13 14:26:52

Well it is up to them, of course.

I suppose if it means nothing to them I can see why they want it so low key.

Sad that they have't thought that close family might like to be there, though.

Who are the witnesses?

pootlebug Mon 20-May-13 14:27:24

"I just can't get my head around the idea that getting married means very little to them. For me, marriage is a huge rite of passage deal so I can't see their perspective. Not that I don't respect it etc, I just can't get it."

My husband and I got married with just us and our kids there. It wasn't because marriage isn't important to us - it was just because we didn't want that type of 'do'. Thankfully our families were supportive of our choice.

Freshcutgrass Mon 20-May-13 14:29:05

GlassofRose Hmmm, I guess I see a marriage as a big 'life event' like leaving school, buying your first house, getting married, having children. So a rite of passage in that way.

My DB and his partner are more unconventional though I'm very boring and average and don't really go with the norm, IYSWIM.

LaRegina hmm

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Mon 20-May-13 14:30:50

You don't need to get it. You just need to get that this is what it means to them, and accept it. You don't need to understand WHY it's not a big to them to understand that it is not a big deal to them.

iyswim. grin

GlassofRose Mon 20-May-13 14:36:19

Well with no offence intended OP, that makes it sound more like something you do because it's the done thing rather than an intimate special decision.

I honestly believe the reason so many marriages don't workout is because of the emphasis on having a wedding rather than getting married and who to.

oscarwilde Mon 20-May-13 14:36:24

It could be worse. I've got a colleague who got married in Japan to a Japanese lady. They filled out a form, and she took it to the council office to be stamped while he had a lie in. 2 hrs later they were married. I don't think they even went out to dinner to celebrate shock

HoobleDooble Mon 20-May-13 14:36:24

I understand you feeling a bit rejected, but it's up to them. I had a very low key wedding, register office then a meal in a pub after for close family and my 2 closest friends. I did have a few uninvited extras who turned at the register office, but didn't mind, so don't quite understand why they don't just let you attend the actual 'tying the knot' bit.

So I think you will BU if you try and interfere with their plans, but you're not BU for having feelings/opinions about it, just keep them to yourself. They may decide, years down the line, that they regret not making a thing of it, and have a huge blessing that you are invited to.

LaRegina Mon 20-May-13 14:39:25

Ok have no sense of humour then grin

scaevola Mon 20-May-13 14:42:15

They're getting married, not having a wedding. That sounds fine to me.

CPtart Mon 20-May-13 14:49:51

I didn't get invited to my brother's wedding. Only the parents. They too wanted a very small intimate service and I respect that. We are not close however, I maybe only see him two or three times a year so it didn't bother me in the least!

I wanted a wedding like that, just me, him and the children. He wanted his flipping family and friends so although it was v v small it wasnt really what I wanted tbh.

So, YABU as you know, I really think a wedding is about the marriage and about the two people involved, but I realise I am not a people person and a miserable git so I`m probably wrong grin

Startail Mon 20-May-13 14:52:11

YANBU, but sometimes we do need a moment's rant when people do things quite differently to us, then we can take a deep breath and carry on.

DSIL is like your brother and I confess that DH,DMIL and I did bake a cake and organise a very low key party at the house after her wedding.

Should we have done? Well she joined in and didn't disown us. BIL probably gave us another black mark, but no one cared about that.

Yes, weddings are your day, but when you've been part of a village all your life there is a balance to be struck.

I think this is why survival partnerships for all is such a good idea. The word wedding comes with baggage.

GlassofRose Mon 20-May-13 14:53:55

Yes, weddings are your day, but when you've been part of a village all your life there is a balance to be struck.

I don't believe this ever applies. You can't have weddings, babies etc live to please others

Me and DP are doing this. Except to save this sort of angst, we're not telling anyone that we're getting married. We will have wedding rings though, so people might guess at some point I suppose. At least you know about the marriage OP grin.

Getting married ie the wedding might not mean much to them, but being married might mean a lot! They are just fast tracking to marriage, which is what getting married is all about.

Freshcutgrass Mon 20-May-13 14:57:29

Horrace See my DB and his partner the opposite, they're telling people but they're not having rings grin

Tubemole1 Mon 20-May-13 15:01:04

I wanted a wedding like your brother's but I told my mum and she got very upset.

We owned property together and wanted a child, so legally we was better off getting married.

We didn't get the wedding we wanted because our family kicked up a fuss. I have regretted it ever since. But I still didn't wear a dress, there was no photographer and no speeches. We all went together to the register office on a minibus. Mum still wasn't ecstatic, but we had limited means, so, tough.

Your brother has already proved to his partner that they are a good match and in it for the long term. Getting married was merely a legal formality. Marriage isn't one day, it's (hopefully) for life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now