Eurovision 2013 - OK here we go again

(57 Posts)
ftm42 Mon 20-May-13 12:15:51

Removing all the supposedly 'homophobic' comments made earlier - I certainly am not homophobic, but that can remain for another context, though I believe I did say that my gay friends find these acts offensive to them as gays -

The whole point was to raise the issue of the obscenity of some Eurovision acts and why we are all OK about naked men writhing about in front of a man wearing a crucifix! This was always meant to be a family show and I cannot bring myself to let my children see this.

We are becoming an over-sexualised society and I think that's awful and especially insulting to Christians when combined with crucifix-wearing - yes, surprise! - I am a Christian! [Now I can watch as mumsnet turns this thread into an anti-Christian one and censors me for being completely intolerant of anything!]

Am I really the only one? I don't believe I am!

Ilovemyself Mon 20-May-13 22:20:10

Ftm42. Religion is a belief based system. And your belief may be different to that of others.

You don't have the right because of your belief to discriminate against others, just as they should not discriminate against your right to wear a cross or show your belief.

The trouble is that you are forcing your views on others and saying they should conform to your belief which is wrong

EatenByZombies Mon 20-May-13 23:57:48

Everyone stop replying!
She said she'd shut up, don't get her back again! grin

I just have to say - as I'm sure you realise - that ftm doesn't represent all Christians' views on this sort of thing. In fact, this is the kind of small-minded drivel that drives me (yes! a Christian!) up the fucking wall.

Eurovision was a total delight and Petra Mede should get some kind of medal.

Ilovemyself Tue 21-May-13 00:12:30

My best friends mother is a Christian (my wife and I are not) and she is a delight to talk to about her beliefs. And I would never want to offend her. But then I don't think I could, because she would tell me she thought I was wrong.

I think the original post was trolling anyway, I mean, who has a music lesson for a 10 yo at 8 or later on a Saturday night!

Mimishimi Tue 21-May-13 00:50:20

I didn't think he was trying to make it a 'gay' act. I did think it was a Dracula act and had a bit of a giggle at imagining Dracula singing "It's my life" in a contralto voice. The dancers were not naked and I thought it was very clever how they shaped themselves to look like Transylvanisn mountains under that sheet in the beginning. The only person he touched was a woman at the end anyway.

My favourite act were the Greeks. Did their skirts and references to free alcohol offend your Christian sensibilities too?

ZZZenagain Tue 21-May-13 08:47:42

I didn't click that they were supposed to be transylvannian mountains unter that cloth.

A naked man wriggling his biceps to advertise spot cream! How did they come up with that one? I suppose you can get spots anywhere when you think about it.

I know, it was a bit surreal. He had that annoying male model drawl though which kind of detracted from my enjoyment though....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now