To think Lincoln is underrated?

(126 Posts)
KatyTheCleaningLady Mon 20-May-13 09:30:19

I took the kids to Lincoln yesterday for a day out of the house. It's 2 hours away, about the same distance as York, where I took them last month.

All I knew about it was there's a famous Cathedral there, so I was really pleased to find the city was as good as York, only significantly less crowded. And, you don't have to pay admission to go inside the cathedral.

We took an open top tour bus ride around the city, and it only cost £10. I liked the town as it has a lot of medieval buildings and a pretty waterfront.

Everyone I talk to here in Oldham says they've been to York, but not Lincoln, and I think that's a shame.

Anybody have similar underrated favourites they want to share? smile

textfan Tue 21-May-13 23:19:54

I went uni there n lived there for that 3 yrs with dd. love it and miss it. Brayford, steep hill, old town all great areas. Loads of good restaurants, lovely pubs n hotels. Friends there still.

LetMeAtTheWine Sat 11-Jan-14 17:06:55

I realise that this is an old thread but I have just found out we will be moving to lincoln in a few months due to Mr LetMe's job. I have never visited the area but am now looking forward to it! Am keeping my fingers crossed there is plenty to do with little ones too smile

Peacocklady Sat 11-Jan-14 17:19:52

Can I recommends dad's shop Ruddocks which is on the top end of the high street which sells a huge range of quality toys, stationery, art materials and gifts. It also has a traditional tea rooms where you can get an afternoon tea served on a cake stand with all the trimmings!

5HundredUsernamesLater Sat 11-Jan-14 17:38:06

I love Ruddocks! Always pop in for a browse when in Lincoln.

MrsStarwars Sat 11-Jan-14 18:37:13

Another lincolnite here! It's a great city, we love the castle/cathedral area. Is fab to be so near open countryside too. We enjoy lots if time in the great outdoors walking and cycling, my boys love seeing the red arrows and local air show.

Juvenilesuccess Sat 11-Jan-14 19:02:48

Peacocklady where's the tea room? Definitely one for me to check out!

GW297 Sat 11-Jan-14 19:12:53

The David Lloyd gym at Burton Waters is good. I like Lincoln (but also love York like the original OP.)

YouTheCat Sat 11-Jan-14 19:13:11

When in Lincoln it is obligatory to visit the Wig and Mitre.

I used to live in Sleaford, 15 miles south. grin

somewherewest Sat 11-Jan-14 19:14:22

Its been at the back of my mind to visit Lincoln at some point because I love ye ode cathedrals. What's the county like (apart from flat grin)?

GOLDENLiquidAngel Sat 11-Jan-14 20:10:22

Wow, quite a few lincoln people here! I like lincoln, it's a perfect size, not too big, not too small. The cathedral is beautiful, although having lived here for 5 years I've still not actually been in it. Must get round to that.

Also adding my shock to 'running up steep hill'... Are you mad? I used to walk/stagger/crawl up millman hill to go to the hospital when I was doing my nursing course and that was a killer, steep hill is even worse!

TiggyOBE Sat 11-Jan-14 20:30:55

I once stalked followed a goth lady down Steep Hill. She had 6 inch heeled platform boots on and I wanted to see what would happen. blush

Liked Lincoln. The countryside around looked dull and empty though.

Winchester is lovely. Pisses all over Salisbury.

LetMeAtTheWine Sat 11-Jan-14 21:40:21

It is nice to see so many people saying they like it. I am going to miss the coast though as have always lived close to it hmm
I also can honestly say, I have no intention of attempting to run up steep hill and I have never even seen it. It's all in the name I guess wink

Queenofknickers Sat 11-Jan-14 21:47:55

I lived there fir a bit. Agree about pie shop, wig and mitre and the old prison if you get chance. Steep hill is better tackled when drunk. In my experience that was pretty much it......

Kasterborous Sat 11-Jan-14 22:04:16

Ooh peacocklady I loved Ruddocks. I miss Lincoln, loved living there.

Peacocklady Sat 11-Jan-14 22:40:46

Ooh exciting to see a couple of people know Ruddock's! juvenilesuccess it's on the high street which is a pedestrianised shopping street. It's quite near the top heading towards steep hill. This is the website for the tea room:
http://www.henrystearoom.co.uk
It's upstairs in the shop overlooking the street. Lovely big windows!

SpanielFace Sat 11-Jan-14 22:52:48

Another Lincolnite here! I've lived here for 5 years and love it. It's such a friendly city, cheap to live, great schools, plenty of countryside, and not too far from the A1 and the rest of the country (at least compared to my hometown in rural Lincs, anyway!). My first proper date with DH was to Browns Pie Shop!

steff13 Sat 11-Jan-14 22:54:31

I thought you were going to say Abraham Lincoln. And you're right, his importance can never be overstated. smile

Puppypoppet Sat 11-Jan-14 23:14:37

I lived in the Lincolnshire Wolds until I was mid 30s. Back then Lincoln was my shopping destination of choice - way better than Grimsby or Scunthorpe (although Hull came close second)!!
DH's manager decided to run up Steep Hill back to the hotel, after numerous drinks on a works do, and collapsed in a heap at the top. Luckily he was ok after a few minutes rest.
However, I now live near York and I think York has the edge. Yes it is a lot busier, and can be gridlocked at times, but overall there is a much better choice of shops, attractions and good restaurants etc. The walls are amazing too - great for finding your bearings when new to the city. Also only a stones throw from Leeds and can soon be on the M1/A1/M62.

EdieBlizzard Sat 11-Jan-14 23:20:01

Hesterton -it's called Stuffed chine and it's delicious !

ifyourehoppyandyouknowit Sat 11-Jan-14 23:22:48

Am from Lincolnshire. My dad used to run or cycle up steep hill (or so he likes to claim). I think I'd probably keel over and die.

It's nicer now, definitely worth a day trip, just awkwardly not near anything else/motorway. We drive through it on the way back to see family and I like doingIit at night when the cathedral is all lit up. It's got flying buttresses!

ElleCloughie Sat 11-Jan-14 23:29:12

Another Lincolnite here! I was born here, grew up in one of the surrounding villages and now live in the city. Reading back through this thread I cannot believe someone ran up Steep Hill. I can normally take it in one go when walking, but I foolishly attempted it while heavily pregnant with DD, and I think it nearly killed me. I also love Ruddocks, but haven't tried the coffee shop in there yet - but I do love the remodelling they've had done! I think it's easy to take the place you live for granted, which is why a couple of years ago on my birthday I decided to be all touristy, and spent the day doing the Castle and Cathedral, and had a lovely meal at the Wig & Mitre. One the downside, if you don't drive it can make life difficult as everything feels like a million miles away.

Rockclimbingtigger Sat 11-Jan-14 23:36:17

Another yellow belly here smile

I love Lincoln for a day out - although agree with steep hill. I usually end up hanging onto the rail halfway up!

I'm south of the county in a teeny village near spalding. It's pretty nice if you fancy a visit! Good shopping at springfields too smile

FurryScoob Sat 11-Jan-14 23:53:44

I'm from Lincoln too! Didn't know so many mumsnetters were from here.
I've never done the tourist stuff but after reading this tread maybe I should.
I would also recommend Browns pie shop to anyone visiting & the little chocolate shop on steep hill.

ladymariner Sun 12-Jan-14 01:08:22

furry the little chocolate shop is fab but even more fabulous is the sparkly jewellery shop 'Bling' next door to it.....simply cannot walk past there, its siren call hauls me in smile And the breakfasts at Cafe Zoot opposite the White Hart (which is a lovely old hotel where they filmed part of The Da Vinci Cde, and also where I went for a dirty weekend way back in the day ) are scrumptious. In fact there are just so many lovely little places in Lincoln, I love it.

Will definitely call in Ruddocks next time we visit, Peacock have never been in, please tell me where you are xx

chrome100 Sun 12-Jan-14 08:50:31

I went a couple of years ago for the first time and I was really impressed - it's really pretty! I live close to York and never go as it's just heaving with tourists, but Lincoln was just very pleasant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now