To think Lincoln is underrated?

(126 Posts)
KatyTheCleaningLady Mon 20-May-13 09:30:19

I took the kids to Lincoln yesterday for a day out of the house. It's 2 hours away, about the same distance as York, where I took them last month.

All I knew about it was there's a famous Cathedral there, so I was really pleased to find the city was as good as York, only significantly less crowded. And, you don't have to pay admission to go inside the cathedral.

We took an open top tour bus ride around the city, and it only cost £10. I liked the town as it has a lot of medieval buildings and a pretty waterfront.

Everyone I talk to here in Oldham says they've been to York, but not Lincoln, and I think that's a shame.

Anybody have similar underrated favourites they want to share? smile

Catmint Mon 20-May-13 19:20:12

LRD - Long Eaton?

herladyship Mon 20-May-13 19:23:08

I live in a village just outside Lincoln..

Children had an amazing state primary, fabulous state secondary, real community vibe, beautiful countryside all around us but a mere (hmm) £250k will get you a 5 bed character property with some land smile
Its a lovely historic city with decent restaurants & shops..

However, it can be a little dull... And as a county Lincolnshire is VERY flat. Also the east coast is grim..

When DD leaves school we are upping sticks to the peak district!

KatyTheCleaningLady Mon 20-May-13 19:24:44

I think York is great. I just think Lincoln is underrated. It's less crowded than York and really lovely.

I studied medieval art history at university, so I like towns with a lot of medieval architecture.

Nope, sorry Cat. smile

BoneyBackJefferson Mon 20-May-13 19:27:04

hesterton
it a Stuffed chine

BoneyBackJefferson Mon 20-May-13 19:27:16

*its

AverageHeight Mon 20-May-13 19:29:02

Have visited Lincoln recently and agree that it's lovely and underrated. Loads of people asked why we were bothering! As well as the cathedral and castle there are lots of gorgeous shops where we just wanted to buy all the stock.

On balance there is more to do in York, but in my (limited) experience York is also busier, more expensive and more set up for tourist. Our day trip to Lincoln was much more relaxing than our day trip to York.

fossil971 Mon 20-May-13 19:30:40

Nah then

I grew up Lincolnshire (probably near herladyship I suspect)

Despite a university and a dual carriageway I still think of it as The Land that Time Forgot. The first distant sight of the cathedral when I'm on my way to visit the parents still makes me fill up!

It is a lovely interesting city and place to visit OP you are right. It's got a character all of its own.

AverageHeight Mon 20-May-13 19:30:49

Ps Southampton is grim in comparison imho

Catmint Mon 20-May-13 19:31:32

Lucky eas

Catmint Mon 20-May-13 19:32:24

Sorry just ignore that message, posted in error

fossil971 Mon 20-May-13 19:33:03

hester

"The thing about Lincoln is you would never pass through it on your way to somewhere else significant so loads of people don't really know where it is. It's sort of out on a limb in the flatlands."

Except Skegness

Wuldric Mon 20-May-13 19:34:19

Is it possible to underrate Lincoln?

VivaLeBeaver Mon 20-May-13 19:36:46

Auntiemaggie, if you're staying in the Hilton you must go have a cocktail in the Electric bar on the top floor. Great views and the best Long Island iced tea ever!

spanieleyes Mon 20-May-13 19:37:18

I'm torn here as I'm from Yorkshire ( and hence think that everything from God's Own County is by far the best) but live in Lincolnshire and quite like it! Lincoln is very nice, the cathedral is lovely and the castle very interesting. I always like to check out the aircraft when passing RAF Waddington, just to see if the AWACS are still there ( they never move!) The shopping is Ok and the riverside nice, the hill is STEEP! But the surrounding countryside is SOOO flat ( I live in South Lincolnshire where anything over 5 feet above sea level gives the locals nosebleeds!) and there are more ducks than people!

Wandastartup Mon 20-May-13 19:53:35

Hesterton it's stuffed chine, Hastlet( pronounced haze let) is another speciality. Can you tell where I grew up!

Wandastartup Mon 20-May-13 19:56:04

I think up hill is great but town itself leaves a lot to be desired!York has better tea shops and better big shops(and more museums!)

MooseBeTimeForSpring Mon 20-May-13 20:04:04

I used to work in Lincoln. It's underrated.

I understand all the stone carvings on the outside of the Cathedral used to be painted bright colours. That must have been a sight to see.

I miss Browns Pie Shop.

I don't miss driving the A15 every day, especially when people get distracted by the Red Arrows at Scampton.

KatyTheCleaningLady Mon 20-May-13 20:16:56

"Have visited Lincoln recently and agree that it's lovely and underrated. Loads of people asked why we were bothering! As well as the cathedral and castle there are lots of gorgeous shops where we just wanted to buy all the stock.

On balance there is more to do in York, but in my (limited) experience York is also busier, more expensive and more set up for tourist. Our day trip to Lincoln was much more relaxing than our day trip to York."

Yes! This is exactly what I meant. York is great, but with three small boys, it was a hassle. Lincoln was more mellow.

I didn't walk around the town, much. We walked around the Cathedral and down the steep street (boys ran down pell mell and trudged whinging back up!) Most of the rest of the town we only saw from the tour bus. But, that's much easier than trying to herd three boys through the streets.

KatyTheCleaningLady Mon 20-May-13 20:19:11

Moose I was stationed at Pensacola Naval Base when I was in the US Navy, where the Blue Angels are based. They'd practice overhead every afternoon and everybody would stop and gape at them. Even the most grizzled old Chiefs would stop to watch. I can imagine the Red Arrows over traffic would have a similar effect!

That's one thing I miss about living on Loch Fyne: every sunny day we'd be buzzed by the RAF, sometimes flying quite low up the loch!

CalamityJ Mon 20-May-13 20:19:22

I'm a huge fan of Lincoln too. It's beautiful with great shopping, bars and lots to do. It's just a bit of a pain to get to!

Horsemad Mon 20-May-13 20:23:51

Lincoln - my second fave cathedral city after Chester. smile

ComposHat Mon 20-May-13 21:18:17

I'm not sure that now all of us are saying Lincoln is underrated, Lincoln is becoming overrated.

A bit like the band St Ettiene.

hesterton Mon 20-May-13 21:39:28

Chine, that's it.

I have stayed at The Bentley, the tres elegant hotel time forgot from the eighties. Great value, big pool, lots of posh dinner dances full of really friendly plump ladies in gold sandals who call the barmaid 'duck'.

Damian's restaurant, another place in danger of coming back into fashion without trying, is the weirdest place - inexplicably popular - that onion ring loaf is unique, truly unique.

Brown's Pie Shop - yum.

Pig racing at Woodside, another bizarre Lincoln practice.

Rand Farm Park - shortest ever tractor rides.

I love the BIG skies and the people. I would happily retire to Lincoln.

Decoy Mon 20-May-13 21:41:30

It's a lovely place. Less touristy and more unspoilt than some cathedral cities.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now