To think Lincoln is underrated?

(126 Posts)
KatyTheCleaningLady Mon 20-May-13 09:30:19

I took the kids to Lincoln yesterday for a day out of the house. It's 2 hours away, about the same distance as York, where I took them last month.

All I knew about it was there's a famous Cathedral there, so I was really pleased to find the city was as good as York, only significantly less crowded. And, you don't have to pay admission to go inside the cathedral.

We took an open top tour bus ride around the city, and it only cost £10. I liked the town as it has a lot of medieval buildings and a pretty waterfront.

Everyone I talk to here in Oldham says they've been to York, but not Lincoln, and I think that's a shame.

Anybody have similar underrated favourites they want to share? smile

Ixia, my dd was also born there. I gave birth overlooking the cathedral as it was bathed in June evening sunshine. Not that I actually noticed much as I was too busy ranting on about 'where the fuck is the anaesthetist??' Lovely setting though.

HebeJeeby Mon 20-May-13 15:04:43

I agree, we live near Lincoln and it is a lovely city. Don't forget the castle though which is having major renovations etc... being done there and is due to be featured on Time Team at some point soon. Plus it hosts one of the copies of the Magna Carta. You do have to pay to get into the Cathedral though (lucky you if you sneaked in) which I begrudge as it is a place of worship.

Lincs is a great county, brilliant schools, some of the lowest property prices in the country, excellent links to London (75 minutes from Grantham) and lovely countryside. It's a vastly underrated county in my opinion. Sure it has its downsides but so does anywhere.

ColinCaterpillar Mon 20-May-13 15:08:59

Love it so YANBU.

amiga I went to Uni there and have v fond memories of it smile

ComposHat Mon 20-May-13 15:10:06

city wall, the old city jail and a copy of the Magna Carta? What's not to like?

As underrated as York is overrated.

Dawndonna Mon 20-May-13 15:11:58

I run up Steep Hill. shock

York, overrated? Them's fighting words!

ComposHat Mon 20-May-13 15:32:05

I used to live in York and whilst it was a great place to live. But I never rated it as a tourist attraction. On a Saturday night they'd be drunks marauding through the town, petrifying Japanese tourists.

I like the Railway museum and the endearingly crap Richard iii museum.

Ah, fair point.

I grew up near Nottingham. I have low standards for cities and high tolerance for marauding drunks.

ComposHat Mon 20-May-13 17:39:47

LRD you are an East Midlander, but you seemed so nice!

sad

I know. It's sad.

I was born in Southampton, though, not that this is significantly better.

ComposHat Mon 20-May-13 17:46:02

ah I was born on the West Midlands...but trolled about a lot in my late teens and 20s.

Hence my suspicion of East Midlanders! I think it is a bit like the Hip hop east coast west coast rivalry, with less bling and more lingering resentment over the miners' strike.

hesterton Mon 20-May-13 17:46:28

In a gruesome way, I love the creepiest chapel ever, situated in the castle prison. The inmates had to be masked so they wouldn't see each other on their way to worship (total isolation was the chosen method of reform, which actually led to madness).

Then in the chapel, they stood in sort of tall loose-boxes so they could only see the preacher, not each other.

It is truly chilling.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 20-May-13 17:48:33

Yes, you normally have to pay to go in the cathedral but if you go in just before a service is about to start on a Sunday the desk is often unstaffed. Its a bigger city than York so I think there's more shops.

hesterton Mon 20-May-13 17:48:48

The thing about Lincoln is you would never pass through it on your way to somewhere else significant so loads of people don't really know where it is. It's sort of out on a limb in the flatlands.

hesterton Mon 20-May-13 17:49:59

Plum bread is good, and that rolled ham with parsley speciality; can't recall what it's called.

Is Lincoln really bigger than York???

HadALittleFaithBaby Mon 20-May-13 17:54:28

I think so! I live just outside. It's a bit quieter than I'd like but with the uni it's getting better - we're getting better known acts coming to the uni venue. I do think the cathedral is stunning. It's position is amazing on the landscape. I think it's free entry on a Sunday (at least it used to be). On Friday I had the privilege of seeing the Lancaster flu over the cathedral. It was spectacular!

York is pretty but last time I went it was about £7.50 to go round the Minster!

Oh yes and seriously: I run up steep hill?! shock

VivaLeBeaver Mon 20-May-13 17:55:52

Population wise York is bigger, however Lincoln has more shops. Maybe because its so cut off and serves a wide rural population as well? Wheras people in Yorkshire can go to Leeds.

Figbash Mon 20-May-13 17:55:55

LRD - i grew up in Coalville .... Melton Mowbray is a day out grin

Figbash Mon 20-May-13 17:56:16

In fact ... so is Asfordby.

ilovecolinfirth Mon 20-May-13 17:56:29

I quite like Lincoln but York is much better.x

VivaLeBeaver Mon 20-May-13 17:57:31

I've been for a day out to Melton Mowbray. Was a tad underwhelmed, a pie shop and a lot of charity shops. Nice park though and a good agricultural merchants.

Ohhh, fig, I'm not saying where I grew up! grin

Suffice to say it would make Coalville look like the up-and-coming metropolis. Nottingham was just my nearest town, and not very near at that.

The West Midlands always seem posh to me.

ComposHat Mon 20-May-13 19:01:23

The West Midlands always seem posh to me.

That funny, dos us West Midland folk always think that East Midlanders see themselves as a cut above.

AuntieMaggie Mon 20-May-13 19:12:55

ComposHat that was my experience in York on a weeknight. I found it overrated after being told on many occasion how great it was.

I arrived in Lincoln a few hours ago and I'm impressed. Just sorry I won't have any free time in the day to explore properly. I'm staying on the waterfront which is lovely.

ladymariner Mon 20-May-13 19:14:25

I love Lincoln, we always park at the top of the Steep Hill and wander down, there are some gorgeous little shops there, have a mooch round the town centre then make our way back up the hill ( agog at anyone running up it, it takes us all our time to stagger up the bloody thing, it's not called that for nothing!) and get an ice cream from the ice cream parlour and sit by the cathedral just watching the world go by......priceless smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now