To think Lincoln is underrated?

(126 Posts)
KatyTheCleaningLady Mon 20-May-13 09:30:19

I took the kids to Lincoln yesterday for a day out of the house. It's 2 hours away, about the same distance as York, where I took them last month.

All I knew about it was there's a famous Cathedral there, so I was really pleased to find the city was as good as York, only significantly less crowded. And, you don't have to pay admission to go inside the cathedral.

We took an open top tour bus ride around the city, and it only cost £10. I liked the town as it has a lot of medieval buildings and a pretty waterfront.

Everyone I talk to here in Oldham says they've been to York, but not Lincoln, and I think that's a shame.

Anybody have similar underrated favourites they want to share? smile

grants1000 Mon 20-May-13 11:11:24

I presumed you meant the movie and I was going to agree! Never been to the town/city of Lincoln, not even sure where it is!

Ragwort Mon 20-May-13 11:13:52

Aslo thought you meant the film grin - talking of the film I was so disappointed that it seemed to disappear from the cinema so quickly, I didn't get round to seeing it and am now waiting for the DVD to come out, but it won't be the same.

<totlly off topic - yes, the city of Lincoln is lovely smile>

ELR Mon 20-May-13 11:15:36

I have never been and it never even entered my head to ever go there. I live in London but always looking for places for weekends away and I love York. I am slightly biased as from up north.
But thanks I will look it up.

nipersvest Mon 20-May-13 11:15:57

i love lincoln, was born there but we moved away when i was 2. love going back, did you spot the imp in the cathedral?

I quite like it but I don't think it is anything like as pretty as York.

Btw, did you know, when they built the cathedral tower in the eleventh century, it was supposedly the tallest building in the world, until the tower collapsed again.

squoosh Mon 20-May-13 11:20:49

Never been.

All I know is cathedral and biscuits.

I remember reading something about their accent/dialect and maybe it's dying out?

Dawndonna Mon 20-May-13 11:40:39

We go on holiday quite regularly. Love it.

badgeroncaffeine Mon 20-May-13 12:00:08

Lincoln is a great place and the cathedral is a simply amazing sight, you do have to pay admission though katy.

ShatnersBassoon Mon 20-May-13 12:12:20

I agree with LRD. It's nice enough, but not as interesting or pretty as York.

KatyTheCleaningLady Mon 20-May-13 12:14:32

I didn't see any facilities for collecting admission, just voluntary donation boxes.

I didn't see the imp, no. But we had a good look at the exterior carvings and they was really impressive.

I do think it's as lovely as York, though.

KatyTheCleaningLady Mon 20-May-13 12:15:27

Ahem. They WERE really impressive blush

5madthings Mon 20-May-13 12:16:47

My grandparents live in Lincoln and my parents are in Lincolnshire. Its nice enough, its certainly improved a lot with the university and riverside developments etc. The cathedral and the castle are nice to visit and the Christmas market is good smile

Wannabestepfordwife Mon 20-May-13 12:19:18

I love it! I especially like to look round where lady Kathryn swinford lived and is buried.

I do think York has the edge though

5madthings Mon 20-May-13 12:19:24

lincolncathedral.com/visit-us/

Here you can go in some bits of the cathedral for free but not all of it.

It is lovely, do they still have the mirror on wheels to help you fund the imp?

megandraper Mon 20-May-13 12:25:54

I agree OP. Went there a couple of months ago. The Collection Museum is great, briliant for children. And Sundown Adventureland, just outside Lincoln, is a theme park for under-10s which my under-10s absolutely loved - great day out.

5madthings Mon 20-May-13 12:31:49

I loved sundown as a kid! I must take the madthings there!

KatyTheCleaningLady Mon 20-May-13 12:33:31

I did see the mirror table thing in the cloister. I didn't get to look at anything to intently as the three boys kept running in all directions.

We went into the entire cathedral, cloister, and chapter house without being asked for money. Maybe it's a Sunday thing.

landofsoapandglory Mon 20-May-13 12:38:29

I'm not fussed on Lincoln at all. The old bit is nice, I agree but IMO the rest is a bit meh. DH works near Lincoln and would like us to move there when our DC finish school in a couple of years. I can not say the idea thrills me.

Ixia Mon 20-May-13 12:39:00

Lincoln is fab, will always have an attachment to it as my daughter was born there. Gave birth looking at the view over the city, with the cathedral all lit up. The walk up the hill to the cathedral, whilst pushing a pram is a killer, it's not called steep hill for nothing smile

SerBrienne Mon 20-May-13 12:40:54

The old fashioned sweetie shop sticks in my mind <<shallow>>

SocialClimber Mon 20-May-13 13:04:00

I run up Steep Hill.

I live just outside Lincoln, can't say I thought it was anything special but maybe I'm so used to it and take it for granted.

SocialClimber Mon 20-May-13 13:06:03

The cathedral is beautiful all lit up though.

amigababy Mon 20-May-13 13:16:15

I was born in York so I tend not to notice how it looks iyswim.
We all went to Lincoln for the first time last year to look at the university for DD, we absolutely loved it.
I sort of hope she chooses Lincoln so we can visit lots.

godzuki Mon 20-May-13 13:20:38

I love Lincoln too. We did have to pay to go into the cathedral (but we managed to find the imp so it was worth it in my opinion). My favourite fact about Lincoln is that people from Lincolnshire are called Yellowbellies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now