fed up with bing forced to stay at expensive, poncy hotels at weddings and get my own back by getting married in a cave?

(73 Posts)
bettycocker Mon 20-May-13 01:01:03

Like the titles says really. And hen dos too. I resent paying premium prices, to stay in poncy hotels when you're a wedding guest, but most of all for the kinds of relatives you see twice a year tops. I'm happy to give a pressie, but not so much with the hotel bill. If you dont fork out for the hotel room, people think you are either too mean, or too poor.

So, I am planning to get married in a cave. DP is totally up for this and it must be possible.

My DM thinks it is a terrible idea. She says caves can dark, dank and they are unpleasant places. l like caving and it is beautiful underground. My DM has asked me what people should wear - wellies? I replied that if it works for them, they can wear what they like. She asked if I would wear a wedding dress with a pair of wellies. I replied that it was a distinct possibility. We haven't told ILs yet.

AIBU to get married in a cave and AIBU to derive an evil pleasure from being a bridezilla who will also mildly exact revenge upon all the people who have made me stay in poncy hotels when I didn't actually want to for all these years?

I also intend to get married in a remote location and hire a "down to earth" place for the reception and guest accomodation. they'll attend a wedding in a cave and hopefull stay in a Welsh pub/B&B in the middle of nowhere - deal with it mofos, it's my turn to be bridezilla. grin

By the way, as the bride, I shall also do my own speach and will keep my own surname. Bollocks to convention.

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 20-May-13 21:04:38

I am just coming on this thread to say RISPECK for saying 'deal with it mofos'

Cave sounds a fantastic idea anyway.

PavlovtheCat Mon 20-May-13 21:02:17

grin i wasn't being serious, caves and candles go well together.. it's quite dark, and unlike hotels, there is not much to burn down! it was amazing though. and relatively inexpensive. the most expensive part of our wedding was the venue, a third of the total cost. the rest was hard work, planning, imagination, a wing and a prayer, oh and lots of candles!

Katz Mon 20-May-13 20:55:19

Cool, I think you can get married in one of the caves in the Peak District, one of the ones near castleton,

Aw Pavlov, sincerest form of flattery and all that. smile

If yours looked even half as good as hers then it was the most beautiful wedding ever.

PavlovtheCat Mon 20-May-13 20:12:44

waffly linked to the cave I got married in.

Carnglaze Caverns in St Neot Cornwall.

PavlovtheCat Mon 20-May-13 20:10:00

whipp my wedding was in cornwall. Had hundreds of candles. I have not posted on another forum. The bitch copied me angry

ilovecolinfirth Mon 20-May-13 20:09:42

I saw someone getting married in a cave on tv the other day. It looked LOVELY!

PavlovtheCat Mon 20-May-13 20:08:58

I got married in a cave. It was ACE! Very romantic. Well, I didn't get married down by the underground lake, but in the 'rumstore' part of the cave. Candles, spanish guitar playing, flowers, our friends, champagne and mingling among bronze fairies in the garden afterward.

Reception on a farm.

AmberSocks Mon 20-May-13 20:06:06

ds good,but only if its really what you want and not just to get your own back on your family!

SoupDragon Mon 20-May-13 19:58:39

Cave: fine
Camping: I would rather gouge my own eyes out

grin

ihearsounds Mon 20-May-13 19:53:05

Wedding should accomodate guests.. That is funny. No the wedding should be what the bride and groom want. Doesn't matter if it's church, registry office, underwater, cave etc, if this is what they want it should be respected by those invited. If people don't like it, they have an option to stay at home.

If it is what both of you want op, then go for it. All the miserable sods can stay at home and whine, while you lot have a wonderful time.

LineRunner Mon 20-May-13 19:34:17

smile

MummytoKatie Mon 20-May-13 19:02:31

If I can get a buggy into the cave I'd think it was brilliant. If I couldn't (and so had to lug about two kids) I'd hate it.

Can you get buggy friendly caves?

PipkinsPal Mon 20-May-13 18:54:02

Do you mean Dan-yr-Ogof in the Swansea Valley, they do weddings.

VerySmallSqueak Mon 20-May-13 18:50:47

Sounds bloody lovely OP

It'll be magical.

There's The Caves in Edinburgh too...

I remember a lass on another forum getting married in a cave in Devon or Cornwall. It was so beautiful with hundreds of candles.

I've been to a wedding in the Showcaves in Wales. Great fun but the outside weather was horrendous, so we preferred the caves and the waterfalls and rock formations were stunning.

captainBeaky Mon 20-May-13 16:36:22

Friends of mine got married in Wookey Hole caves and it was probably the best wedding I have been to. It was original, romantic and very atmospheric. Go for it!

Snoopytwist Mon 20-May-13 16:34:01

Betty, stick to your guns and do what you want to do - there will always be people who moan if you stray from the norm, but as you say, you've had to go to weddings in places that you don't really want to go to - and I bet most of your guests will love it!

If you can't find a cave that is licensed near you, you could have a little basic legal ceremony in a registry office and then do the big ceremony in ANY place you like! We did this and ended up writing our own ceremony and getting our best friend to be the "vicar"! Oh, and I recommend a huge pile of donuts instead of a cake grin.

bettycocker Mon 20-May-13 15:27:29

Snoopytwist That sounds like a fabulous day. I've also thought about doing something like that. I want an outdoor wedding, but the weather is so unpredictable, my reasoning is that you won't get rained on in a cave, but you're still outdoors iyswim.

ChaoticTranquility Mon 20-May-13 15:20:40

Sounds good to me grin

Inertia Mon 20-May-13 14:52:26

Sounds fabulous- but you do need to bear in mind that some people might not be able or willing to come.

curryeater Mon 20-May-13 14:50:54

x-posted with snoopy on the camping thing.

I looked into getting married outdoors - admittedly years ago - but it didn't seem to be legal. Are there any caves licensed for weddings? (sorry for being a wet blanket)

curryeater Mon 20-May-13 14:49:42

YANBU but I personally hate caves. I might not go if I were on your guest list, because I, too, am over claustrophobic wedding environments. No worse than an overheated, corporately decorated, window-challenged hotel, but as far as I am concerned, not much better - not that you care, and why should you.
Do you like camping? Maybe your guests should all stay in tents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now