AIBU to not understand the concept of tea in bed?

(134 Posts)
ChangeyMcName Mon 20-May-13 00:33:58

I've read many comments on this site about DHs bringing DWs tea in bed on a daily basis. Are people's lives actually like that? Every day?
Feel a bit hmm . We have to take turns.
AIB selfish to wish I experienced the joy of waking up to a cup of tea like so many of you seem to?
Or is this actually a myth and everyone has to make their own tea really?

(may be overthinking a tad)

VenusUprising Fri 24-May-13 13:12:08

Ha ha Gail! Funny!

My DH makes so many cups of tea every day, I'm surprised he isn't made from it - I don't really drink tea, except a peppermint at night, and he makes this for me.
However he uses the same mug all day for his tea, strong stuff, with extra flavour from the mug <boak>

gail734 Tue 21-May-13 11:09:38

My DH sometimes makes himself a cup of tea. In his head he is helping me out because I don't have to make it for him. Then he might helpfully leave the cup in the sink for me.

KittyVonCatsworth Tue 21-May-13 09:47:40

I bring tea to OH every morning but every morning it goes undrunk as he's a proper wookie in the mornings. He will do anything for that extra 5 minutes.

During the day, he'll come to my desk with cappuccinos and chocolate (although he knows I don't eat chocolate, so I suspect it's for him).

Dh would bring me tea in bed in the morning if I wanted, cos he is lovely. But I'd rather have 10 minutes extra sleep ...

He did buy me one of these though - Ring-for-Tea bell grin

MrsHoarder Tue 21-May-13 09:30:28

Dh brings me a tea if he's up before me and I do the same for him. He's up first most often though. Its a lovely way to wake up although this morning it was cold by the time I woke up

icklemssunshine1 Tue 21-May-13 09:22:04

Extremely jealous. With a 22 month DD who thinks 5am is the start of the day it takes the pleasure out of drinking a coffee in bed whilst she's jumping up & down on our bed (aka trampoline) & watching Peppa Pig. Too many chin scalds have stopped coffee in bed! She will be trained!

badguider Tue 21-May-13 08:58:04

I get tea in bed at weekends, mainly because DH has been up for so long by the time I wake up (esp. now as I'm pregnant and not sleeping well at night) that he's bored and I think the tea is is way of subtly trying to get me to wake up.

Triumphoveradversity Tue 21-May-13 08:54:34

DH brings me two cups of tea in bed every morning. It started after I was very ill after I had a pg loss . He is not the most emotional person but it was his way of showing love.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 20-May-13 17:12:05

Mimsy - I had forgotten, my Dad does bedtime drinks for everyone in the house who is staying, so things are more balanced in my parents relationship than I thought grin

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 20-May-13 17:10:38

DH used to bring me tea in bed before he left for work, but he leaves very early now - 6am - and so he leaves me to sleep. On the occasions when he works from home then I get my cuppa smile

And I get one every Saturday and Sunday, almost without fail. It is just one of his things.

My Mum is highly jealous, because she is the provider of tea in my parents relationship. She loves it when we go and stay, because generally DH will be up first - and he brings her a cup too! smile

sydlexic Mon 20-May-13 17:05:21

DH always brings me coffee in bed and kisses me goodbye. I always greet him with dinner and desert, so a fair swap.

Whoever is up first makes the coffee here. So that would be DH 99.9 percent of the time as am lazy cah.

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Mon 20-May-13 16:18:00

I used to have a timer plug and set the coffee percolater to brew just before we got up, lovely waking to the smell of fresh brewed coffee on a morning, alongside the timed bread maker the house was so inviting mmmmm coffee and fresh bread... why have I not done this in ages?

I don't drink hot drinks. I've had breakfast brought to me in bed on Christmas morning and Mother's Day by DH, but that's it. It would feel a bit strange to me if it were a regular occurrence!

I'll occasionally take DH coffee when he has a lie in, but only because it means he's likely to shift out of bed more quickly.

FIL takes MIL all of her drinks throughout the day to wherever she is - and he does hot drinks in bed for whoever is staying in the house. It's very sweet and another way he shows how much he dotes on his entire family - but I still find it quite strange as it's not been part of my growing up experience, if that makes sense.

SomethingOnce Mon 20-May-13 13:37:17

I have just learned from a Google search about the spiritual effect of having tea in bed (before brushing one?s teeth) [mind boggles]

Apparently, it can increase susceptibility to being attacked by ghosts (demons, devils, negative energies, etc.).

That must be where I've been going wrong all these years grin

Eskino Mon 20-May-13 13:28:55

DP makes me a cup of tea every morning, AND its while he's up getting breakfast for, nappy changing and generally wrangling our 2yo.

While me and the baby do cuddles in bed <smugface>

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 20-May-13 13:23:22

I take my DH a cup of tea every weekday morning as I am nearly always up first.

At the weekends he will bring me a coffee quite often.

jacks365 Mon 20-May-13 13:11:07

My dad takes my mum tea in bed every day. It started when she was pregnant with my big brother 48 years ago to help with morning sickness but he's just carried it on. He says its the least he can do for her.

makes me tea in bed?? That's a clever trick considering our kettle is downstairs in the kitchen... hmm

I meant, of course brings me tea in bed.. blush

Urgh at brushing before your morning cup of tea!

I'm gobsmacked at the thought that not everyone shuffles bleary eyed downstairs to slurp tea/coffee and munch cereal/toast and then go upstairs to make self presentable. Utterly gobsmacked.

OP, Yes my DH makes me tea in bed, has done since I was 16 years old! grin If i'm up before him then I'll bring him tea up.

SomeBear Mon 20-May-13 12:51:30

DS is 10 and goes through phases of bringing me coffee in bed on school days. I'm not a morning person, and DH leaves for work at 5am. If he's up before me at the weekend, he'll bring one up for me or send one of the DCs up with it. He doesn't like drinking in bed though, and I've never had breakfast in bed (crumbs! on sheets! no thank you).

WaitingForMe Mon 20-May-13 12:28:18

I got tea every day before DS. On the days I go back to bed after his 5am feed I get tea brought up.

DH does loads for me and I do loads for him. IMO love is something you practise, something you do daily, that the little things are what make the biggest difference.

Hobblethwaite Mon 20-May-13 11:32:42

I get a coffee every morning, not in bed mind but still in a lounging position.

If DH is on night shift he puts the coffee sweetener and milk in a cup and leaves it in the fridge. He's a good egg.

I never realised this was so widespread. I don't think anyone in our families does it. I get up earlier than DH every day of the week and it has never once occurred to me that he deserves a cup of tea as well as a lie-in! [bad wife emoticon].

LovedayMerryweather Mon 20-May-13 11:28:36

Yes. He brings a small breakfast up too. To be fair, it was one of the things I was looking for in a man! I sometimes do it instead if he's really tired or at the weekend. This is because I wake up slowly and he wakes up quickly. While he's making the tea, he unloads the dishwasher.

It sounds like a lot written out like that - I tend to do a lot of the wifework though - organising/remembering/planning birthdays etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now