Aibu to ask where you shop for clothes and how old you are?

(256 Posts)
Yawner247 Sun 19-May-13 20:22:10

Was just wondering as I am 29 and a mother of two young children and I'm not a huge fan of clothes shopping and am by no means a fashion icon!!! But was wondering where you shop and how old you were as the shops I seem to like seem to be popular with people older than me which is giving me a complex!!! Not helped by my dh saying some of my clothes are hideous!!

TheSloppelganger Wed 22-May-13 23:48:52

Age 32, average size 14.

I very rarely shop, and as I work from home I don't need to dress up or even get dressed

I do sometimes have to leave the house though and generally wear Top Shop jeans and vest tops or t-shirts from Dorothy Perkins when I do so.

My mum knits me jumpers and cardigans, so no need to buy those grin

I probably shop most in TK Maxx because you can find some really good different stuff quite cheaply if you have time and you're willing to root through all the rails.

If I have to go out somewhere - wedding, party, posh restaurant etc then I head to Pepperberry - because nowhere else does such nice stuff that actually fits both my H cup boobs and 26 inch waist. If I had smaller norkage I'd probably go to Monsoon for that kind of thing because I like their stuff a lot.

OhTheConfusion Wed 22-May-13 23:50:48

Bunty, I am a L in Zara... even a M in some of their knitwear. Go on, try something!!!
I do however know I would not fit into a pair of trousers... dresses, tops, knitwear and accessories only!

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Thu 23-May-13 02:34:11

I'm 38

J Crew
Tommy Bahamas
Whistles
Club Monaco
Gap ( love their slim cropped trousers)
Monsoon and phase 8 for maxi dresses

LittleBipper Thu 23-May-13 04:18:29

H&M
Joules
Fat Face
Boden
M&S
Sainsbury's
Monsoon
Next
Phase 8

This is in rough order of frequency, mostly done online. I hate going shopping for myself and only do it when something needs trying on, but I like going for my DH or DS. I'm 31.

noviceoftheday Thu 23-May-13 05:43:15

I am 40, size 6 or 8, 2 dcs.

Work :
Austin Reed
LK Bennett
John Lewis
Damsel in a Dress
Fenn wright Manson petite (rare)
Ann Taylor petite
Banana Republic
Hobbs
TM lewin
Coast (not recently)
Zara (not recently)

Casual/going out:
John Lewis
Kaliko
Phase 8
Desigual
Warehouse
Gap
Lauren by Ralph Lauren
Helmut Lang
DvF
Ambercombie & Fitch
Superdry
Primark
M&S

MrsFruitcake Thu 23-May-13 06:38:38

I'm 37.

I mainly buy from Fat Face, Joules, Boden and Phase Eight these days, as it's smart casual at work and that generally how I dress at weekends to. Jeans from M&S, always.

Might sometimes see something from TU or TK Maxx but mostly, it's from the shops above.

teacher123 Thu 23-May-13 07:22:41

I'm 31 and have one DS. I tend to shop in Tesco for work stuff (cheap ish but smart ish stuff that I can trash!) though I've had some really lovely things from there. I also like crew clothing, joules and superdry, but their clothes are expensive so I don't buy stuff from there very often!

Yawner i havent read the whole thread, so apologies if this has already been said;
it doesn't really matter where you buy your clothes, it's more important to know how you want to look then find clothes, in your budget, to get the look/style you want. That's what I do. I read loads of blogs and am addicted to Pinterest where I look at styles I like for initiation. Also Style and Beauty is a great source of ideas.
I shop everywhere.....from Sainsburys, Matalan, DP to Russell and Bromley and higher end high st.
I'm past 40 and the two shops I do really well in are Warehouse and Dune for footwear.

"Inspiration"!!!!!! Bloody predictive text!

Karoleann Thu 23-May-13 08:23:25

Boden, DVF in self ridges and John Lewis either in Oxford street or Handforth Dean.
I don't think I own anything that hasn't come from there!
I have an hour max interest in shopping. Luckily I'm quite good at looking at stuff and knowing if it will suit me without trying it on, which cuts down the boredom factor.

Kellymn Sun 23-Nov-14 19:03:13

Age 50, size 8-10 (UK). I tend to shop in New Look, River Island, Topshop, H&M, Next, and Debenhams. Primark and Peacocks can be too much of a jumble sale for me and the clothes are often too poor quality. I also like online places such as Boohoo and ASOS. Zara prices only for classic pieces that I want to last like the lovely black pencil skirt that I brought from there last year.

carabos Sun 23-Nov-14 20:28:01

Age 51, size 8. Zara, Debenhams, maybe Phase 8 and M&S for work (some gems among mostly crap), All Saints, local independents, Urban Outfitters for casual; Whistles, Oasis for more dressy.

Preciousbane Sun 23-Nov-14 20:43:27

Late 40's

LK Bennett
Jaeger
Phase 8
Coast
TK Maxx
Charity shops

When I stopped working last year I sold some of my work stuff and gave most of the rest to charity. Including most of my lovely heels because I can't wear them due to my back problems.

Amummyatlast Sun 23-Nov-14 20:51:47

Early 30s, size 8, usually shop at H&M and Next. Can't shop at M&S because their size 8s are more like 10/12. I used to shop at Jane Norman before they went bust, although I had to be careful not to choose stuff that was too young.

Hush
Gap
Boden
Zara
Baukjan
Me and my ninjayybrewy

Green18 Sun 23-Nov-14 20:57:08

i am 43 and shop everywhere! H&M , M&S, Tesco, House of Fraser, Next, charity shops, Primark, Peacocks, Boden, La Redoute catalogue, TK Maxx. It's the item of clothing that makes me buy it, not where it's from. Never been a label snob.

No ninja shop.

Keyboard disappeared whilst I was typing.

Also get fair bit in All Saints, Whistles and Reiss

Nanasueathome Sun 23-Nov-14 20:57:38

Size 14
Boden
Joules
Oska
Masai-used to get from shop on Isle of Wight and then discovered 2 shops local to me that stock the full range

maggiethemagpie Sun 23-Nov-14 20:59:08

I'm 37 and shop at M and S, Debenhams (mantaray), next, the odd thing from white stuff or fat face.

I used to be an oasis fan but since having children and losing my figure I can only fit in to the odd thing from there.

I have not worn anything with a waistband since falling pregnant with my son four years ago blush

CleaninQueen Sun 23-Nov-14 21:01:41

23 a size 4-6 in clothes.
Topshop
New look
Boohoo
River island
H & m
Anywhere that sells my size

OwlWearingSunglasses Sun 23-Nov-14 21:05:37

New Look, Dotty P, Matalan, Oasis, Wallis, Asda. Primark for cheap and cheerful tops for a week in the sun.

Age 45.

StillSquirrelling Sun 23-Nov-14 21:07:09

I hate clothes shopping and generally will usually buy somewhere that I can go online to do so! I am 36 and a slim 10/chubby 8 (or a size 9 if you like!).

My favourite places for normal, every day, clothes would be:

Monsoon (for jeans or nice tops)
Boden (jeans/nice tops/leggings and long sleeved tshirts)
Next (tops/jumpers)
Joules (most stuff)

Undies I pretty much always buy from M&S as I know their bras fit me properly (am a 'rather awkward to find in many shops' 32DD) or if I want something a bit nicer I'll use Figleaves or even gasp Rigby & Pellor! (admittedly that was only for my wedding and honeymoon undies!)

For party frocks I normally go to Coast, Jane Norman or Phase Eight (although that's not that often these days)

For every day skirts or dresses I actually quite like M&S or Laura Ashley, although they have a bit of a reputation for being a bit frump or for older ladies.

Fabulous46 Sun 23-Nov-14 21:08:01

Age 46, size 10.

Next/Wallis/House of Fraser for work stuff and going out stuff
Joules for horse stuff
LK Bennett for shoes and boots as they last for ages.
River Island
Long Tall Sally

Greengrow Sun 23-Nov-14 21:12:40

I regard shopping as a huge theft of time and only ever shop on line and then like to wear clothes until they wear out so I am not the best person to ask. Last item I bought on netaporter but I am just as likely to buy something on American A or ASOS or even Amazon.

Mrsgrumble Sun 23-Nov-14 21:16:03

Been in maternity gear for the best part of two years but otherwise love

Oasis (favourite)
Tesco so cheap stuff
Hobbs for good dresses
Primark for coats- love them
Monsoon for tops and dresses
Asos

I'm 36

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now