Aibu to ask where you shop for clothes and how old you are?

(256 Posts)
Yawner247 Sun 19-May-13 20:22:10

Was just wondering as I am 29 and a mother of two young children and I'm not a huge fan of clothes shopping and am by no means a fashion icon!!! But was wondering where you shop and how old you were as the shops I seem to like seem to be popular with people older than me which is giving me a complex!!! Not helped by my dh saying some of my clothes are hideous!!

cafecito Sun 19-May-13 21:50:46

yabu as there is no such thing as a shop being too old for you per se it's all about if it suits you and how you wear it. Why would you want to wear youngthings anyway? It doesn't mean they'll look better on you.
I wear stuff from loads of places, I just wear what I feel comfortable in-
in terms of high street stores, mainly-
anthropologie, banana republic, Massimo dutti, zara, gap, French connection, oasis, urban outfitters, joy, whistles. sometimes uniqlo, m&s. I have a great dress from phase8. I have a few things from Isabella oliver. I used to have an online shopping habit and have consequently a load of random things - that no longer fit me -sigh.
I'm mid20s. I actually hate shopping I find it really stressful!

cafecito Sun 19-May-13 21:52:02

ah and comptoir des cotonniers and I really like things I find in markets

Icelollycraving Sun 19-May-13 21:52:32

Underwear from Boux avenue,Leia or M&S. Shoes from Aldo,Kurt Geiger,nine west with little flats from anywhere that I like the look of them. Any kind of glitter,sparkle or stripe & I'm there!

bonbonpixie Sun 19-May-13 21:52:43

99% of things I buy are from online retailers. Mostly I buy from Shopbop/Revolve/Asos but also occasionally pick up things at Matches/NAP/My Wardrobe. However since having DD 12 months ago most of my beautiful clothes haven't left the hangers. In fact I think for the last 6 months I've lived in a jeans / white t-shirt / cardi combo. The dry cleaning bill would have been too massive otherwise, with DD's sticky fingers getting everything mucky within 5 minutes. I'm feeling frumpy. I'm 29.

ellajayne Sun 19-May-13 21:54:01

I'm mid-twenties and shop in Primark, New Look, Asos, Dorothy Perkins, George at Asda and charity shops. For shoes it's New Look, Asda, Shoe Zone, Barratts etc as I'm a size 9. Bags I tend to buy from Zara, Primark, New Look & Topshop and accessories are bought all over.

I am fat, tall and have a very small clothes budget and there's not much choice otherwise I'd be in Warehouse, Zara, Oasis, Topshop, River Island etc.

manicinsomniac Sun 19-May-13 21:55:07

29. Two kids. Love clothes.

I have a wide range of tastes and actually like vintage/alternative/artsy markets and individual boutiquey shops etc but, for chains, it's generally:

Joe Browns, White Stuff, Fat Face, Joules, Crew, Boden, Hellbunny, All Saints, Hollister, Superdry, Red Herring, Republic, Bank, Ralph Lauren, Jack Wills, Bench, TK Maxx, Primark, H&M, Tesco, Asda, Sainsburys.

Occasionally: Karen Millen, New Look, River Island

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Sun 19-May-13 21:56:44

I also think I am a closet bloke.
I go into places like John Lewis or Debenhams and think ' Why can't they have ALL the trousers here, organised by colour and ALL the skirts there by colour and so on'

And in the middle of the shop would be loads of touch screens where they could show you what goes with the thing you've chosen when you scan its barcode in.

And then you could have a little pager thing that would take you to the item you wanted with a map or a 'getting warmer' beeper.

Or you could use the touch screens to select whole outfits. Wop in your measurements and colouring and the occasion and it'll give you suggestions etc.

I need to live in the future. sad

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Sun 19-May-13 21:58:16

Bonbon you need one of those nice Hilda Ogden housecoat aprons - with sleeves. In nylon. grin

juniper9 Sun 19-May-13 21:58:58

28. Gap, uniqlo and h&m mainly. Next for work trousers/ tunics.

Now 21 weeks up duff so lots of my tops are from new look. Maternity jeans from gap.

Jan49 Sun 19-May-13 22:01:59

Early 50s.

M and S. BHS.blush Shoes from Shoezone. blush blush

Used to shop at Etam and Tammy a lot when I was 20-something.

Jan49 Sun 19-May-13 22:02:32

Oh yes, I used to be very fond of C and A.

MacaYoniAndCheese Sun 19-May-13 22:05:28

Hang in there, bon-bon. You'll get your groove back. I went through a frumpy phase when mine were tiny...sometimes it's just Too. Much. Effort. And that's okay...smile.

You might like this blog Ain't No Mom Jeans. Lots of good ideas for comfy, trendy, nursing-friendly clothes for moms with Tiny People.

Yawner247 Sun 19-May-13 22:07:33

Wow thank you for all the responses...there was no need for height/size disclosures but grateful for you all sharing the things you have...my complex has vanished!! I have always been a person that when I see something and it works for me I will get it but just lately have been thinking am I a frumpy old before my time dresser but reading these responses I feel my answer is no I buy what I like and what works for me! grin

jamdonut Sun 19-May-13 22:07:34

I'm 48 and shop for clothes anywhere they sell big sizes reasonably cheaply! So,Tesco,Store 21,Evans and New Look. Marks and Spencer when their sale is on. Primark,rarely, as 35 miles away,and not always big enough sizes. A couple of local stores have some quite nice things.

Why is it that in the sales there are only ever small (by that I mean size 12 and smaller) sizes...you hardly ever get larger sizes,especially in Tesco!Does it not suggest that the fact there are so many small sizes left is that the people buying their clothes need the larger sizes? confused

jellybeans Sun 19-May-13 22:08:22

mid 30s

Sainsburys
Asda
Next
Matalan
Debenhams
Littlewoods (catalogue)

BreeVanDerTramp Sun 19-May-13 22:08:46

GAP and Fat Face , I'm 29

C999875 Sun 19-May-13 22:10:28

I am 37 and I buy my clothes in New look, simply be or evans. xxx

jazzcat28 Sun 19-May-13 22:10:35

Workwear:

Next
M&S
Debenhams Collection
Wallis

Casual wear:
Debenhams - red herring
New Look
Dorothy Perkins
Supermarkets

Occasion / going out:

eBay coast and phase eight
Monsoon (sale)
Wallis
Debenhams
Oasis

EstelleGetty Sun 19-May-13 22:18:22

I'm 27, 5"9, 12-14.

Most of my stuff comes from Uniqlo, but I get wrap dresses and pencil skirts from M&S because they sit well with my expanding womanly shape, whereas New Look, H&M, Topshop are OK in the waist but won't go near the boobs. Comptoir des Cotonniers or Cos for a special treat, and both of them are usually quite nice and roomy.

All my bras from Freya or Fantasie as they're the only ones I've ever got to fit.

muminthecity Sun 19-May-13 22:20:36

I am also 29 and shop mainly at New Look or H&M, occasionally Peacocks (just because it's the only clothes shop within walking distance!)

FreudiansSlipper Sun 19-May-13 22:28:46

lots of once more expensive stuff from eBay and vintage. h&m and Zara. gap for jeans, shirts, tshirts and jumpers they have great sales and little shops around here

few bits from mango, whistles, french connection, oasis and warehouse

cuntingrimmer08 Sun 19-May-13 22:33:15

Gstar, eBay , truffle shuffle , superdry,

I have found the place where we are supposed to shop once we hit 70.

I always wondered where that sort of clobber came from. Massive undies, pointelle knitwear, polyester skirts, bed jackets - the lot.

It is also the Shangri La for Grandpa cardigans.

Their secret is out. I now need to infiltrate the source of the knitted hats that look like tea-cosies - and my work is done.

FreudiansSlipper Sun 19-May-13 22:40:36

My friend only wears vintage and wearing lots of those type of dresses she can usually make anything look cool, this look she's not pulling off and she is a danger to be around as she gives everyone electric shocks as the dresses are nylon and are not cheap

Rowanred Sun 19-May-13 22:41:35

33 here.
About 80% topshop and other bits from H&M, Oasis or M&S.
Formal stuff for weddings etc normally from Coast or John Lewis.
I Like accessorise for scarfs and flip flops!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now