Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think that the Eastern Bloc have ruined the Eurovision Song Contest?

(85 Posts)
CelticPixie Sat 18-May-13 23:09:56

Call me sad but I have always loved the Eurovision and indeed look forward to it each year. Its always been good fun, but in the last ten years or so since the former Eastern Bloc nations were allowed to enter its changed and not for the better. The fun has gone now.

There has always been some political and neighbourly voting but now its got to the stage where the Western countries are at a massive disadvantage and struggle to get the points needed to win.

Is it wrong the hanker for the old days?

kotinka Tue 21-May-13 10:54:50

God I'd forgotten Daz, pass me the mindbleach.

TeWiSavesTheDay Tue 21-May-13 10:47:04

Excellent dancing grin

This is Daz, aka why the public don't get to choose anymore.

I think we could do really well if we could convince a currently popular UK artist to do it. Our music industry is really good, and very popular worldwide. But we don't take it seriously so that won't happen.

I don't really mind, I enjoy watching regardless of how many points we get.

Heck, this was a very fun Norwegian Entry that was rightly given a very un-mozartly treatment!

Nobody in Europe would understand British School girls.

Heck, it took me living here more than 10 years before I vaguely understood references to St Trinians. grin

TeWiSavesTheDay Tue 21-May-13 10:29:22

We tried that quint, but the great British public kept voting to have complete bollocks to represent us - we voted for that Daz bloke with the school girls and the rapping <shudder>

So then Andrew Lloyd Weber started writing the songs and we just voted for who would sing them. I'm not sure why anyone thought that was a good idea hmm

And now I think there is a panel who recruit ageing popstars once vaguely popular in Europe and try and convince them it won't kill their careers.

Bramshott Tue 21-May-13 10:26:43

Isn't it just a bit of fun confused

And what could have been more fun than that Romanian entry grin???!

Who select the British entries, though?

Norway has "mini eurovision" where local talent compete, much like in X factor, and then the people vote by phone, along with "professional juries". I think it is the same in Sweden, but I am not sure?

kotinka Sun 19-May-13 23:34:23

Norway was better than the winning song, I agree.

WafflyVersatile Sun 19-May-13 23:31:37

There are approximately eleventy-one competitors. Statistically you can only hope to win once in every eleventy-one years. The countries which have won more than once in the past 20 years have not been Eastern Bloc. A good song will make sales whether it wins or not.

Norway was robbed though.

Mimishimi Sun 19-May-13 22:24:56

The singer from Spain was awful but they had a bit of my sympathy when our pig-ignorant TV commentator here in Australia said sarcastically "Because nothing says Spain quite so much as a bagpipe does it?". Well, actually, you idiot, Spain has one of the oldest continuous Celtic cultures in the world in the northwest (Galicia mainly) and it is thought they introduced the pipes to the British Isles. It annoys me that everyone just sees Spain as the land of castanets and guitar culturally and musically (as lovely as they are).

DontMeanToBeRudeBut Sun 19-May-13 20:43:31

I used to think that everyone treated Eurovision as a bit of a joke. Then I -(briefly) moved to Sweden. shock They took it so seriously! It was huge news, everyone was talking about it for weeks, everyone watched the actual contest. I just couldn't understand it. So it's no wonder the UK never wins really is it?

Last year I did wonder whether Spain would send a rubbish entry this time to make sure they didn't have to pay to host it twice grin

PiggyPlumPie Argentina Sun 19-May-13 19:09:29

I don't think we can complain about the political voting as we have historically been guilty of it ourselves by giving Ireland 12 points.

We, as a country, seem to be voting along similar lines to the rest of Europe so it seems that we are just putting in shit songs!

I also thought Eurovision without Terry would be awful but am loving Graham Norton. He doesn't take it personally.

PimpMyHippo Sun 19-May-13 19:00:15

When I was six I hid under the table and refused to go to our neighbour's Eurovision party because I'd somehow decided that it was going to cause a war and we'd all be bombed.

<irrelevant>

clicketyclick66 Sun 19-May-13 18:47:46

I thought Ireland's song was the best, but it came last!

spanky2 England Sun 19-May-13 18:33:49

There is no way I want them excluded after the Romanian entry . Graham Norton - just because you can doesn't mean you should . Fantastic !

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Sun 19-May-13 18:15:26

It's only a singing competition. I don't think it matters at all.

Decoy Sun 19-May-13 18:13:49

It's a load of Eurotrash. It's very rare you get a good song on Eurovision.

YABU, but I think you know that.

Though last night's result made me make this face confused as the popular choices were barking. Azerbaijan managed to get points for the man-in-box gimmick, which was admittedly cool, but the song was shit. I can't even remember Ukraine's song tbh, which shows how good it was!

If it was done purely on song quality, Malta would have won. That song was amazing, even if Mr. Singing Doctor kept pulling some rather odd faces grin

kotinka Sun 19-May-13 15:56:09

Azerbaijan did very well and their song was crap. but that's subjective.

RedToothBrush Bosnia-Herzegovina Sun 19-May-13 15:53:14

YABU

The countries that were the best yesterday, almost without exception, were at the top of the leaderboard.

The shit ones - like ours - were at the bottom.

So even if there is tactical voting going on, how come the better songs are still fairing much better?

Or are you just bitter that we aren't winning? Or just utterly blind to the fact that we've not had a decent song in years?

kotinka Sun 19-May-13 15:41:29

fair point, and the winning song isn't bad though my favourite was greece

UK have finished top 5 twice in the past decade or so - we could definitely win with the right song, just like Germany did. Belgium and the Netherlands have done disastrously over the last few years, not even making it to the final, but this year they both had attractive songs with charming singers and did pretty well.

The blinkered insistence that the song and the performance have nothing to do with it is what made me want (the otherwise lovely) Terry Wogan retired with extreme prejudice for decades. It's hardly surprising that if we are one of 39 rather than one of 16 or so like in the old days, then it will be more difficult to come top.

kotinka Sun 19-May-13 15:31:41

yes Graham was quite funny, smorgasbord at the end was bizarre. are the Swedes more British than the Brits?!! grin

honeytea Sun 19-May-13 15:25:15

Yabu, here in scandinavia the radio plays eurovision songs, so we are very familia with norways and denmark's song even before the night, I guess maybe it is the same in the eastern countries.

Is scandinavia ruining it also?

jellybeans Sun 19-May-13 15:24:01

I like it. The politicial voting has always been part of it. I did miss Terry Wogan but Graham was on form this year. First year I have liked him. We need a good entry though. What about Gary Barlow?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now