To think that the Eastern Bloc have ruined the Eurovision Song Contest?

(85 Posts)
CelticPixie Sat 18-May-13 23:09:56

Call me sad but I have always loved the Eurovision and indeed look forward to it each year. Its always been good fun, but in the last ten years or so since the former Eastern Bloc nations were allowed to enter its changed and not for the better. The fun has gone now.

There has always been some political and neighbourly voting but now its got to the stage where the Western countries are at a massive disadvantage and struggle to get the points needed to win.

Is it wrong the hanker for the old days?

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 18-May-13 23:36:03

Ireland always vote for UK.

Block voting isn't limited to Eastern European countries and therefore YABU.

Fluffypinkcoat Sat 18-May-13 23:36:52

Looking back at the past ten years, it was 50% eastern type countries winning and 50% western. Can't say fairer than that!

It doesn't really matter that much - if it did the same blocs would win every year.

It's also partly to do with actually having similar taste in music, whereas western Europe don't really like as much of the same things.

AgentZigzag Sat 18-May-13 23:37:43

'You don't think it's just possible that you have matured a little?'

And maybe a little less sloshed?

grin

PuppyMonkey Sat 18-May-13 23:39:24

Our song was terrible. Denmark, Sweden, Finland have all been big winners now in recent years. The Eastern Bloc voting thing is a big of a myth.

Panzee Sat 18-May-13 23:40:12

It was exactly the same when it was juries hundreds of years ago. You can't blame the newer entrants.

Terry's nasty, bitter comments were one of the reasons I stopped even making a token effort to watch it about 10 years ago (DH loves it so I feel a bit bad for hating it so much).

apostropheuse Sat 18-May-13 23:48:55

You do realise it's not meant to be taken seriously OP? That's the whole point of the "competition" - it's a laugh.

grin

Yanbu.

I am now more than ever sure that the reason Norway hardly ever manages to get into the top three is because we have so few neighbours!

Russias vote is tied up with Estonia, Serbia, Ukraine, etc. Finland is usually giving top marks to Sweden and Hungary. Denmark and Iceland is the only of our neighbours ever giving us points. Sweden outdid themselves this year, as they never vote for us.

I just wish they could live politics aside and vote for songs. Maybe it should be "blind votes" - nobody should know which countries the songs represent! (And they should all sing in Klingon)

Snazzywaitingforsummer Sat 18-May-13 23:57:51

WhoKnows You should give it a chance again - Graham is loads better, and I really think the quality of the songs has improved. Plus this year it actually felt like it all moved along a lot faster.

For goodness sake Britain, if you keep putting retired has beens on stage, you are treating the competition like a joke, and wont be taken seriously. I think it is quite obvious that Britain puts non-starters whose Careers wont be harmed forward as they cant afford to host the ceremony!

Fluffypinkcoat Sun 19-May-13 00:00:45

Might be because the songs aren't good, quint! Look what happens when Norway sends a great song! The biggest score ever in Eurovision. That wasn't politics surely?

I think todays song was actually good. Not as good as Denmarks entry, that is a given!

Was that the boy with the fiddle? Yes, that was a good song.

Fluffypinkcoat Sun 19-May-13 00:05:06

That's the one. Can't be blaming politics when that song got votes from every single country (excluding Norway of course). Good songs win.

MrsSchadenfreude Sun 19-May-13 00:06:23

Eastern Bloc? What are we, back in 1989?

YABU.

Mimishimi Sun 19-May-13 00:13:26

YABU. The only Eurovision songs/bands I've bought through iTunes after seeing them on the competition have been from Eastern Europe ( with the exception of Israel). Moldova (Pasha Parfeny), Russia (Peter Nalitch), Czechoslovakia (gipsy.cz) and Greece (Giorgos Alkaios). Sometimes I don't like the actual song they've entered but like the potential enough to check out their other stuff, which is often a lot better.. Hate the competition and it's winning songs usually. At least a lot of the East Europeans sound original albeit they often have peculiar stage acts.

CelticPixie Sun 19-May-13 00:19:37

I agree our song was complete and utter shite. We definitely didnt deserve to win, but I'm glad Denmark did. They deserved it because it was the best song. But Azerbaijan second? Really? Ukraine third?! Neither song stood out to me. I liked Belgium Finland, both struggled. Italy's song was nice but came nowhere. Ireland definitely didnt deserve to come last either.

CouthyMow Sun 19-May-13 00:35:47

I liked Iceland's entry. Obviously not to most people's tastes, but I'm going to get it on iTunes. Having said that, Denmark's ditty was quite catchy, I found myself singing along to it at the end.

Tbh, I liked quite a few.

But why the fuck did we drag Bonnie Tyler out of storage - there's plenty of other great artists in the UK...

We were never going to get very far with Bonnie Tyler's song.

Myliferocks Sun 19-May-13 00:42:08

I've had Cascada's entry for Germany on my iPod for the past few weeks and last year when I went to Spain the winning Eurovision song 'Euphoria' had been playing out there for weeks before the competition as well.
I couldn't tell you what the UK entry was even called this year never mind what it sounds like.

Leavenheath Sun 19-May-13 00:44:37

It stands to reason though that if the UK or Ireland splintered into 10 separate regions and then called them countries (a la former Yugoslavia and USSR) and those countries all tactically voted for eachother, it would make a difference. But although I thought Malta and the Netherlands had the best songs, it's good to see that despite all the usually hilarious political voting, none of that seemed to have an impact on tonight's choice of winner. The results seemed reasonably fair to me overall. Bonnie Tyler was dreadful, Ireland's entry reminded me of the Father Ted Eurosong episode (preferred My Lovely Horse to tonight's dirge) and Spain's was a shocker.

Graham Norton is just brilliant though, isn't he?

Mimishimi Sun 19-May-13 01:11:17

Couldn't stop singing "I'm a leaf, I'm a leaf, growing on a tree" to Iceland's song unfortunately. It was a really nice song though and he was very handsome in a completely down to earth looking way ... Hope he does well with his music career.

SolomanDaisy Sun 19-May-13 09:16:10

Voting for your neighbours/chums happens across all the countries. We just don't have enough mates to gain points that way, so would need to submit a decent song to have a chance. We can usually bank on a few points from Malta and Ireland though, unless we actually enter 'my lovely horse'. I don't know why we don't just accept who is still genuinely really popular across Europe and persuade Iron Maiden to be our entry.

I thought Greece's entry was brilliant. Presumably winning would have tipped them over the financial edge and Germany would have had to host instead.

NinaHeart Sun 19-May-13 09:18:40

I think we (as in the UK) should attempt to get "nul points" instead of pretending we are trying to win.

Snazzy - I do try (DH loves it), usually watch the first 15 mins or so, get irritated and leave the room, maybe wander in and out a bit later, from what I have seen Graham is better than Terry, but I still find the whole thing excruciatingly awful. If I stay in the room I only end up slagging it off which isn't fair on DH so I just leave, he chats with people on another forum about it. I rememember it being exciting as a child (I grew up in the Abba era) but I can't see me ever watching the whole thing again, it's well past its sell by date as far as I am concerned.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now