Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think Gove just does not understand what he is doing to schools and the teaching profession

(296 Posts)
kim147 Sat 18-May-13 22:06:37

Gove at the NAHT conference

www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-22558756

Heckled by heads, a vote of no confidence and an inability to listen as he makes up policies and initiatives with no evidence. I hate to think what the future of education will look like with his legacy.

OddBoots Sat 18-May-13 22:09:36

He is either clueless or trying to break the state system bit by bit - I'm not sure which is worse but either way our children are going to be the ones suffering the most.

MiaowTheCat Sat 18-May-13 22:11:19

Oh he understands - he's enjoying the reaction feeding his little PR campaign to climb the political ladder a bit further when he's marked himself out as a "well hard bloke who taught those workshy teachers a lesson or two." Someone on here mentioned he wants the teachers to be his own little miners - it's pretty true.

Got asked today if I was going to go back into teaching once the kids grew up a bit - my reply of "not while Gove's in charge" drew a roomful of pained sighs of experience of the whole Gove Experience.

AnnaFiveTowns Sat 18-May-13 22:14:08

YANBU. I feel truly sorry for teachers and I could cry when I think of the damage he is doing to our children. The man is a complete cunt.

nobodysbaby Sat 18-May-13 22:28:41

He does. He just doesn't give a shit.

uniqueatlast Sat 18-May-13 22:28:42

YANBU. I feel truly sorry for teachers and I could cry when I think of the damage he is doing to our children. The man is a complete cunt.

This. Although I am a teacher so I cry for the children in my care, my colleagues and myself. sad

nobodysbaby Sat 18-May-13 22:32:31

He does. He just doesn't give a shit. I have been a teacher for 20 years and this year, for the first time ever, I have advised someone not to go into the job. It makes me furious as a teacher and a parent.

washngo Sat 18-May-13 22:46:03

Which of his policies would you all say have been most harmful? As a teacher on mat leave and parent with a child about to start reception I am v worried about the damage he is doing.

Purpleprickles Sat 18-May-13 22:55:10

This is only my 7th year as a teacher. I love the teaching part of my job. When I qualified I thought I was set for life and having trained as a postgraduate thought I had finally found my career. Now though I'm wondering how long I'll last.

I feel like we are being pushed away from what is important for the children, we've gone target mad. Children can't be children because they need to make their sub levels of progress, they need to be continually making progress so no time for art/music/PE or maybe heaven forbid reflecting and consolidating knowledge and skills. All children need to focus on is Literacy and Numeracy, so if those aren't your strength then you're buggered. As a teacher and senior leader I'm now keeping notes of every meeting, complying data down to the minute detail, justifying that data, everything to prove my worth and decisions which takes me away from what I should be doing...teaching. And as for the constant negative comments about how utterly shit we teachers are from Gove and his cronies, well don't get me started.

As others have said it makes me very sad and scared for what will become of our education system and children. I say this not only as a teacher but as a parent of a 4yr old starting school in September.

MonstersInception Sat 18-May-13 22:58:09

I left the state sector indirectly due to him. How dismissive he was of that woman and her comment. How arrogantly he tramples on the tatters of our education system - us teachers don't care enough to notice of course, we've all left at three. What a shit.

sparkle9 Sat 18-May-13 23:05:45

I've been teaching for about 7 years and I'm in a leadership position in a primary school. I love my job. I love teaching children and I am very committed to my school. BUT I have recently, in the era of Gove, started to question if all the stress is worth it. First the Local Authorities, then the pensions, then more testing, then pay and progression..... I'm what Gove considers to be a "high-quality" graduate who chose teaching over lots of other possible careers. If I was asked to advise a current undergraduate I would tell them to chose a different career now. The teaching profession and the school system has changed for the worse. Teaching is no longer an attractive career IMO. I don't know how long my love of the actual teaching will keep me working in a job. The teaching bit is constantly being sidelined and pressure makes it difficult to make decisions based on what is actually best for the children. I didn't become a teacher (and school leader) to jump through hoops for Gove's buddy over at Ofsted!

He knows exactly what he is doing, as do his buddies. Morale in teaching has never been so low imho, but the government and their minions just think it's teachers whingeing about having to work. I dread where things will go next, if this government remain in power.

BoffinMum Sat 18-May-13 23:15:31

I am starting to perceive a deterioration in the standard of my own children's schooling, that I can partially attribute to the running round the schools are having to do in relation to this so-called reform. The rest I think may be to do with spending cutbacks.

nobodysbaby Sat 18-May-13 23:20:03

And all those ill-considered, rushed and regressive curriculum changes haven't even started yet.

JoyMachine Sat 18-May-13 23:21:24

He does know what he's doing, it's intentional, to break the teaching unions. Academies are only about destroying the nationally agreed T&C for teaching staff. That was Labour's plan (as they realised they could no longer afford the costs of their education policies) and the Conservatives took up their mantle with glee because it fits their ideology.

<<waves to Remus>> Hope you're well ('tis I...wink)

KitNCaboodle Sat 18-May-13 23:32:23

After 11 years I've recently left the profession I love. Just couldn't juggle family life, work and my sanity anymore. It took me about 3 months to get used to not having a constant tick list in my head.

I will not be going back anytime soon. It makes me sad but low morale and increasing workload and pressure does not make a great combination.

Hello you! Am good, thanks. You?

You are exactly right btw. smile

BoffinMum Sat 18-May-13 23:33:09

True enough, Joy. It's something people have been trying for years, along with annhialating Local Authorities.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 18-May-13 23:38:28

Great bit of thread convergence:

Am I being unreasonable? : to think Gove just does not understand what he is doing to schools and the teaching profession

_Chat : When I find him I will string him up by his ball sack!

grin

nobodysbaby Sat 18-May-13 23:39:15

That's a shame Kit

TeamEdward Sat 18-May-13 23:42:42

After over 10 years in Primary teaching, I left the profession at Christmas. As KitNCaboodle says above, the pressures of school life increased so rapidly under Gove that I could not keep work, home and my sanity intact. Something had to give.
DH works in an Academy that has just had a successful Ofsted inspection. It seems that a good result from Ofsted is only possible if the majority of staff are working 11-12 hour day on site and then continue to work at home.
And as for the children, it makes my heart bleed to see the fun sucked out of learning.

Startail Sat 18-May-13 23:43:58

Purplepickles says it exactly. My DDs go to a lovely community school with lots of art, music, sport and out door activities. The relentless push for three levels of progress and getting Ofsted off their backs means they are fighting an uphill struggle to keep these things.

When I was a teen I thought that exams were all that mattered. Now as a parent I see what we missed out on.

Rural area in the days when many mum's didn't have transport so after school stuff was very difficult and a long teachers work to rule that destroyed anything in lunch hour.

Januarymadness Sat 18-May-13 23:44:48

I am not a Tory basher but it does seem that the people in power are not listening to people who actually work in, and know, the fields they are trying to lead.

It seems to be more about posturing and an unwillingness to back down than to actually make anything better.

Education is not the only victim. Housing, planning, policing, womens services, childcare.... I could go on.

I understand the need for reform but surely best practice would be to listen to people who do the job before identifying changes and efficiencies!

Startail Sat 18-May-13 23:46:54

Fortunately I'm an interested parent not a teacher mum's blush

JoyMachine Sun 19-May-13 00:25:08

Boffin- they'll have LAs next, as once all schools are responsible to/funded by central govt, there's no mandate for LEAs. They're currently allying Social Care to Health (so health will be destroyed next...), refuse, cemeteries, registrars, elections, governance, council tax collection etc all very, very easy to privatise, or bring in consultants. Eradicating LAs has been conservative aim for over a decade hasn't it?

Remus- stressed... moving house at half term, only got 3000 things to do before then grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now