What would you think if your DC received a party invite that had party childs siblings name on it?

(54 Posts)
CrapBag Sat 18-May-13 20:48:28

Just wondering on opinions on this one.

If your DC got an invite for a party and the invitation was for the child in the class that your DC knew, plus the name of the party childs (much younger) sibling, what would you think?

HollyBerryBush Sat 18-May-13 20:49:08

I would think it was a joint party

StanleyLambchop Sat 18-May-13 20:50:41

Same as Holly. Joint party. What's the problem?

craftycottontail Sat 18-May-13 20:50:56

That it's a joint party... Am I missing something?

everlong Sat 18-May-13 20:51:26

Erm that it was their party too?
Do you mean would I be bothered? No I wouldn't.

CloudsAndTrees Sat 18-May-13 20:51:27

I'd think it was a joint party and ther would be friends of the younger sibling at the party as well.

marriedinwhiteagain Sat 18-May-13 20:52:08

Joint party. What's there to think?

Jinsei Sat 18-May-13 20:53:21

confused

Obviously a joint party, no?

flanbase Sat 18-May-13 20:53:39

It sounds like a joint party or a party for the younger sibling with the older one having a friend to invite. You could ask to be sure and plan on two gifts

CrapBag Sat 18-May-13 20:55:11

Yes joint party obviously blush, I am so rubbish at explaining myself.

Would you buy a present for the sibling (that you don't know) when it is your child going to the part of the child in their class?

Astley Sat 18-May-13 20:56:07

Joint party confused what's the confusion?

ShatnersBassoon Sat 18-May-13 20:56:22

No, a present just for the friend. I'd give a card to the other child though.

HollyBerryBush Sat 18-May-13 20:57:22

No, I wouldn't BUT I have been caught like that before, DS3 is friends with twins who are encouraged to have totally separate fiends and identities, not a package deal IYSWIM, and he was invited to one twins party but not the other, even though they were all in the same class. I suppose if he were mates with the other twin, he'd have been invited to that party

flanbase Sat 18-May-13 21:00:59

I'd get two presents

HalloweenDuck Sat 18-May-13 21:02:36

I had a joint party for my ds and dd2 when they turned 4 and 5. ( 12 months between them) We had nice invitations printed and given out to mutual friends/ family etc. Then on their separate friends invites I wrote your are invited as ds/dd2's guest on the back. They loved having cards from their siblings friends aswell as many guests gave cards to the extra sibling. One mother gave presents to both which was a lovely surprise and one mum turned up with a big helium 4 and helium 5 which they both loved!

CrapBag Sat 18-May-13 21:05:09

I was wondering following a conversation with a mum the other day and she was wondering why the younger siblings name was on the invite.

Someone I know is having a joint party for her DS's, their birthdays are close together, one is school age, one isn't. The invites have both names on even to the parents who don't necessarily know about younger sibling. We talked before about whether she should put both names on the invites that were just for the school age child and I did say to her why bother, they are not friends for the younger sibling. Then she said she was going to do it because hopefully she might get more presents for the younger one as well. shock

I didn't know whether she would actually do it and was hoping she was joking which is why I asked another mum whether the invite had both names on, it did and that is the reason why.

greenformica Sat 18-May-13 21:05:40

Card and small sweet for younger sibling, proper gift for older child.

apostropheuse Sat 18-May-13 21:05:42

I would buy for both children if it was both their birthdays and they were having a joint party.

HollyBerryBush Sat 18-May-13 21:06:51

My two were only a year a part, when I did joint parties, I send out invitations from each not both. I wouldn't have expected two presents. That's greedy.

Hulababy Sat 18-May-13 21:07:43

If my child knew the other party host I'd get both a present.
If they didn't know the other child, I'd send a card to both but only send a gift for the host my child knew.

StanleyLambchop Sat 18-May-13 21:08:54

I have only ever bought for the child we know in the case of a joint party. Unless we know both of them!!

LoveBeingUpAt4InTheMorning Sat 18-May-13 21:11:18

Sorry I would buy a token for the other dc

snice Sat 18-May-13 21:12:32

I would get a Poundland special for the unknown sibling-?sweets/colouring book/stationery etc just to have something to wrap

Piffpaffpoff Sat 18-May-13 21:13:28

I do joint parties as the dc's birthdays are two days apart, but each invite is from one of the DCs only. I would not expect DS's friends to bring DD a gift and vice versa.

CrapBag Sat 18-May-13 21:17:58

See that's my thinking exactly piff. I find it so cheeky that the sibling is on the invite purely with the intention of getting them some more presents. Don't kids get enough crap presents anyway. confused I also have children with close birthdays but I would never do this either.

I am surprised many people would buy for the child that their DC didn't know, but then where I live people don't have much money so maybe they won't, but then some may feel obliged when they can't afford it which is terrible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now