Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

invite for 'supper' tonight. what time should we turn up?

(28 Posts)
ipswitch Sat 18-May-13 12:50:12

Friends on holiday near us have left an answer phone message asking us round for supper this evening at their holiday cottage. They left directions and said they were cooking chicken.
Don't have their mobile number to find out what time they mean.

Can I ask what time you would turn up for an adults only supper invite?

Scholes34 Sat 18-May-13 17:23:53

Arrive in good time for Eurovision - which kicks off at 8.00 pm.

5Foot5 Sat 18-May-13 17:35:06

Yes I read that Stuart Maconie book and share his experiences of supper. With us it was a piece of malt loaf or maybe a crumpet if you were lucky. But I do remember having cereals sometimes.

LaQueen Sat 18-May-13 17:39:56

As a little girl, from the East Midlands I grew up thinking of supper as a piece of toast, and a mug of Horlicks just before bed... wink

However, after 6 years at private school, followed by meeting lots of proper posh friends at university, I now know that supper is a casual meal, served typically between 7-8pm, and usually something quick & easy to cook (spag bol?), and you don't bother dressing for it.

Semantics...eh grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now