IP address finder

(37 Posts)
Altinkum Sat 18-May-13 08:57:44

If you send a email, can the person getting the email get your IP address from it?

HollyBerryBush Sat 18-May-13 08:58:14

yes

Altinkum Sat 18-May-13 09:00:45

Right so would they be able to know then who sent it?

Altinkum Sat 18-May-13 09:01:11

I mean by name?

cinnamonsugar Sat 18-May-13 09:01:54

It depends on what you are using to send the email. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. For example: Gmail never ever sends the end user's IP address in the email headers, Hotmail does.

MalcolmTuckersMum Sat 18-May-13 09:03:58

I would have thought that only your Internet Service provider can identify who is behind a particular IP and even then probably only at the request of the Police or some other authority.
What exactly did you have in mind OP?

Altinkum Sat 18-May-13 09:07:18

Its with hotmail!

I will get this deleted.

My Friend thought it was a "good" idea, to send my bosses a customer complaint on my behalf, after yet another incident. Although nothing untoward was said in the email, it was all factually correct, I am now worried it will be traced back to me, as she done it while I was in bed (she
stayed over).

I've no idea how if this comes out what the repercussion will be.

Its a bit like my dog ate the homework scenario.

Furious is how I am feeling rigt now.

You can depending on the program you use to send it AMD if you have it you can identify an area where it's come from. And who the ISP are. In order to get more you'd need to go to the ISP and have a reason - usually it would need to be the police or similar for harassment or like when the music companies go after illegal down loaders.

Why?

Did she use your name?

Altinkum Sat 18-May-13 09:11:21

Basically she pretended to a customer who witnessed a incident at work, (verbal abuse) and emailed the bosses.

Altinkum Sat 18-May-13 09:12:00

No just my built height, etc.... No names at all.

Using her email address or yours?

Just how tech savvy are,your,bosses?

Sorry. iPad hates me.

Altinkum Sat 18-May-13 09:15:55

My boss is a IT consultant, (expert)

She made up a fake email address via email. But used my IP address.

Feel sick! Can't believe how thick she has been.

juneybean Sat 18-May-13 09:18:10

As far as I know the only IP in hotmails headers are their own servers. You can google your own ip address and compare it to the headers.

Juney - in hotmail it certainly used to show your own originating IP address.

Look. Your boss would have to do this. Trace the ISP. From the header. Then go to the ISP with a reason why they wanted the info as to who it belonged to.

Who on earth is going to be interested over a customer complaint email.

juneybean Sat 18-May-13 09:24:43

Yeah, I remember it used to but in recent years I cannot fathom out how to even get full headers on... And I like to think I'm quite savvy!

Also your bosses would already need to have your ip to know it was you, I doubt they check every email.

cinnamonsugar Sat 18-May-13 09:26:00

juneybean Hotmail headers used to contain X-Originating-IP with the client IP and I know they did as of last year, but I just googled and it appears they stopped in December 2012 - bit.ly/112YpGp

Altinkum Even if they can get an IP, it'll be very difficult to identify you from it. Assuming you have a standard broadband connection, the IP address will resolve to something that is completely unidentifiable. Unless your boss knows for a fact that it is your IP, but as above it seems Hotmail have stopped doing it.

Altinkum Sat 18-May-13 09:26:59

I've googled it and no name mentioned, just my location and network provider, which is fine.

If they weren't knowledgable in IT, I couldn't care less, (except for the deceit from my friend) because everything is accuract, and from a customers point.

Altinkum Sat 18-May-13 09:30:15

Thankyou everyone, I'm more at ease now.

Altinkum Sat 18-May-13 20:16:38

Frick frock dock...

Do income clean....

The people in charge have took this complaint extremely serious...

Nothing said, has been incorrect, untruthful nor been exaggerated.

But I had to give a statement on the complaint in which I did, all factually correct.

However I feel as of I'm betraying my bosses.

Dh has said, that if friend didnt say anything, then I would yet again be left again to be put I blame. Due to the member of staff going on "retirement"

I NEVER lie, its not in my nature, I feel incredibly disloyal about the while thing.

However because of this complaint, the bosses have now seen and acknowledged that the abuse I'm getting is unfair, however has been much worse previously .

Altinkum Sat 18-May-13 21:37:19

No one?

Is my moral dilemma, just me, do I become a liar.

Did you know your friend was doing it before they sent the email?

Are they asking to interview your friend as a "customer"?

MalcolmTuckersMum Sat 18-May-13 21:39:27

Liar about what?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now