AIBU in thinking that it would be ok to leave son home alone after school ?

(55 Posts)
ThePlEWhoLovedMe Fri 17-May-13 16:26:58

Thinking in advance for September.

Son will be 11 in September - but in year 6. I will be working till 5pm every night (getting home at 6 ish). He HATES after school care so I am considering an alternative....

We live 5 miles from school so walking home is not an option but a school friend drives past my house on their way home.

So 2 questions ...
Would i be taking the piss asking them to drop son off every day (if their child is ill (or whatever) my son could do the after school care.

and ... although not ideal .. is it ok to leave an 11 yr old home alone for 2.5 hours per day? (Son is happy with the idea / calm child / sensible etc - however due to circumstances he has never really been left alone for more then 10 minutes at a time)

Solopower1 Sat 18-May-13 16:24:12

Cory I agree, but if the child is alone, ie not with brothers and sisters?

farewellfarewell Sat 18-May-13 16:56:30

Too much to ask of another parent imo. Could he cycle home? (Maybe that is a terrible idea! You know your son best.........)

cory Sat 18-May-13 17:05:22

my nephew is an only child- he was fine

Solopower1 Sat 18-May-13 17:29:18

My son was OK too, in that nothing horrible happened to him.

But if I had to make that decision again, I would try to find another way.

cory Sat 18-May-13 17:43:33

My SIL otoh would make exactly the same and my nephew would be hoping she did. Which just goes to show that we're all different.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now