Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

to get just a tiny bit annoyed when people move to the country and then tell me that London is crap.

(124 Posts)
chocolatefate Fri 17-May-13 15:09:11

Just that really. I grew up in the countryside, but have lived in London for about twenty years, and love it. Loads of our friends are moving to the country, funnily enough often to the area where I grew up. They sometimes invite us for weekends which is obviously lovely and generous but I can't help getting a little bit annoyed when they act as though they are giving us a glimpse into an idyllic lifestyle we have mistakenly foregone and/or start slagging off London, including what a terrible place it is to bring up children. The latter happens quite often. It's also quite difficult to persuade the same people to visit us in town once they have moved out. Why is that?

OwlLady Fri 17-May-13 17:00:18

maybe they have become a bit insular?wink

I have moved to the country, and yes there are lots of gypsy hating tories that smell.

But I like the isolation and the extreme adrenalin when I go to meet friends in London, wahey!

There was a great thread on here once with all the MNers who grew up in the country, hated it and are still joyous about escaping!

I suppose we are the exact opposite of expatLondoners grin

Politely remind them that you've lived in the country before and prefer the city thanks.

Or tell 'em to Fuck off and get new friends.

OwlLady Fri 17-May-13 17:13:23

the grass is always greener on the other side isnt it?

I grew up in a very deprived area of the country and I was desperate to get out I have in succession:

1) moved to a more cosmopolitan town
2) moved to the coast
3) moved to the country

What will be my next step?

I still have no money!blush

OwlLady Fri 17-May-13 17:14:36

and i do the extreme end.
in town i lived right in town
on the coast i lived so i was right by the sea
in the country i actually virtually live on a farm...

LadyClariceCannockMonty Fri 17-May-13 17:16:38

No, YANBU. London rocks. The country is often shit.

Because they are protesting too much.

SusieWong42 Fri 17-May-13 17:18:12

Having just moved to the country to start afresh, my two daughters live in London and love their Country Retreat! Similarly, when i miss the bright lights or have work in the City, i know where i can stay and be welcome - so best of both worlds! Just enjoy what you have until it is no longer for you and then make a move.

sadsong Fri 17-May-13 17:20:12

We didn't live in London, but nevertheless a very large city and moved to the country. The first year was amazing. The second was one of the worst in my whole life! We moved back to civilisation while I was heavily pg. thank god we did! Perhaps I had to leave so I could comeback and appreciate it.

HumphreyCobbler Fri 17-May-13 17:20:41

this thread is not really succeeding in not bashing the country grin

I never know why people think living in the country is good for children - I live in the country because I want to, not because it will benefit my children they can just suffer the rural boredom

HumphreyCobbler Fri 17-May-13 17:22:18

I feel compelled to point out that racists and tories exist in cities too hmm

Sheshelob Fri 17-May-13 17:25:43

Country = axe murderers. Fact.

OwlLady Fri 17-May-13 17:35:21

i live in the cuntry i am not racist smile

chocolatefate Fri 17-May-13 17:35:53

Let me be honest: if I win the lottery tonight, I would buy a little bolt hole on the coast, to go with the riverside penthouse I will upgrade to in London. I do like the countryside. For holidays now and again, especially if it's that type of countryside that's a bit like London. But seriously, WHY is it so hard to get country dwellers to come to town? That's a strange one.

Farewelltoarms Fri 17-May-13 17:36:48

I won't bash the country, but it is weird how the émigrés have no such embarrassment. 'How do you breathe in all that polluted air?' like we still have right old pea soupers. 'It's so great to see stars instead of police helicopters', 'bluebells instead of dog poo'.
Blah blah blah I can take it all telling myself that they're convincing themselves as much as anyone.
But the city's no place to bring up children bit? Grrrr

GreenEggsAndNaiceHam Fri 17-May-13 17:39:41

I don't want to visit the countryside at weekends, that is when the funest London stuff happens.

Smile and nod chocolatefate smile and nod

HumphreyCobbler Fri 17-May-13 17:45:28

I visit London as often as I can.

Lioninthesun Fri 17-May-13 18:14:07

I wish I lived in London - been in a town for 6 years and sometimes feel so isolated and bored out of my mind it is untrue. This May Day there was NOTHING to do! I scoured the net for hours and even asked on FB, that is how desperate I was to get out and about! If it didn't cost £60+ to get to London (if I leave before 10am) I would be up there at least once a week.
Only trouble I ever have in London is escalators with a buggy - not that brave and it can be a fag trying to suss out which ones have facilities and which don't. Adding taxi fares onto the train fare is my week's budget gone, so not really possible that often.
Surprisingly people in the town annoy me much more as they walk so slowly and tend to stop suddenly and several times even walk backwards without looking! which you don't get in London, despite the crowds. I wish we had a quarter of what there is to do in London!

EatenByZombies Fri 17-May-13 18:43:45

I think YAB a little U. You don't like them for slagging off London because London is great and better (in your opinion) than the country, but it's the same as you saying that London is great and the country is boring etc wink

kerala Fri 17-May-13 18:51:39

Proper rich people always have a place in town and a country retreat - there are pros and cons to both and I speak as one who grew up in a village and spent my twenties in London.

What baffles me is that it's socially acceptable to slag off London to londoners but not for Londoners to criticise others home towns...

Sheshelob Fri 17-May-13 18:53:02

But it is a fact that small towns are full of axe murderers. Have you not seen the films?

ophelia275 Fri 17-May-13 18:53:03

I think it depends.

London is great if you are in a good job or have lots of money, bought a property pre 2000 and don't have kids.

If you have kids, rent, live in a shitty area and have a crappy job then London is obviously not that great.

There are so many variables.

SvetlanaKirilenko Fri 17-May-13 18:56:53

YANBU. I have a place in town and a country retreat, which is lovely - I'm not rich but my parents still live in the country and I can visit (from London) whenever I like. But I don't have to live there, hurrah!

SquigglyPig you have described my childhood exactly. Bored and desperately plotting my move to a city. Can not imagine leaving London.

OhLori Fri 17-May-13 18:57:24

Depends where you live in London and how much money you've got.

SvetlanaKirilenko Fri 17-May-13 18:58:28

And I think kids growing up in London have a fab life, my DD has all her friends within walking distance of our house, several on the same road, they walk to school together in the mornings. Schools are decent in our neck of the woods. What's not great about that?!

VinegarDrinker Fri 17-May-13 18:58:56

I have absolutely no idea why people think London is a bad place to bring up kids. I couldn't imagine wanting to leave for any reason other than a financial one.

For starters, we spend more time outdoors than any of our friends who live in the country and have to drive everywhere. My commute is a gorgeous 35 mins along canals and green cycle paths, and we spend weekends in our wellies getting muddy and climbing trees with noone else in sight apart from the cows.

This is in zone 2.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now