Evening meal 6.30 for 9&11 yo DC's is NOT 'too late'...

(141 Posts)
wol1968 Fri 17-May-13 14:15:35

I'm fed up of DH chuntering and grumbling if I don't get the DCs' dinner done before 6pm. I do aim to do it, and we all do have dinner eaten and cleared up before 7pm on most nights. But with the best will in the world, I get days when my timing slips. Interruptions happen, preparation takes longer than intended, sometimes I'm not on form, I get sidetracked and my organisation is crap. AIBU to get really annoyed when 'D' H starts rolling his eyes and making critical mutterings about what I should have done when and know darn well exactly what I should have done when but I was being crap and didn't ? AIBU to be even more annoyed when we then get an 'unexpected' phone call from MIL (who always did 'tea' at five when hers were kids) in the middle of our meal, and H then has to disappear into the next room with the phone, pretending to have eaten, with me being the one to keep the kids quiet in the kitchen?

He says he does this so his mum doesn't tell him off. I told him it was none of his mum's business what time we had our evening meal. And I don't think 6.30 or thereabouts is that catastrophic for 9-11 year-olds anyway, is it? 7.30 might be taking the mick a bit on school nights, I suppose...

Off to keep up with the ironing.

FreshLeticia Fri 17-May-13 14:48:28

Surely it's what suits your family routine that matters? I am never home from work in time for us to eat before 7:30, even when I prep all the week's meals on a Sunday. Maybe if we ate fried crap inbreadcrumbs or ready meals it would be an hour quicker but I think I prefer my DCs to eat decent food a bit later. They were fit and healthy last time I looked and they have no problems sleeping. Youngest is just 9 now. Even on 'get your own night' they don't eat early.

cantspel Fri 17-May-13 14:49:49

A nine year old is still in primary school and will be year 4. I dont know of any primary schools that finish later than 3. An 11 year old will be in year 7 of secondary and again school will be finished by 3.

when mine wee that age I didn't get in from work until 6.30pm we never ate before about 7.30pm, they are still alive and well, they just had a snack after school.

calypso2008 Fri 17-May-13 14:53:09

Ah, right, sorry, cantspel I didn't realise it was so early. That is when we have just finished eating lunch!

But, I still think, home at 3pm - snack (fruit or something) and dinner at 6.30pm is more than reasonable.

calypso2008 Fri 17-May-13 14:54:39

My DD is 5 (as I said) and finished school at 5.10pm. We get home, she relaxes, and then we eat at 6.30pm.

vintageclock Fri 17-May-13 14:56:24

DD is six. We normally eat between 6.30 and 7.00 but sometimes its a bit later. To be honest I'd rather give her something homecooked and serve it up a bit late than just throw a pizza or waffles in the oven every evening after work in order to eat a bit earlier.

Your DH is being ridiculous. He also needs to grow up and realise his mum can't tell him off for having his dinner too late anymore.

Samu2 Fri 17-May-13 14:56:28

We eat a 5.pm so I think 6.30pm is very late but not exactly a big deal.

However, your husband sounds like an arse in regards to this.

JenaiMorris Fri 17-May-13 14:58:44

I think it's a bit odd to have dinner before 19:00.

I suppose tiny children who are in bed early have tea at 6 or something. And we often have Sunday lunch in the late afternoon so that kind of covers an early dinner....

Anyway, YANBU. Your husband is being an arse and his mother sounds intolerable.

OwlLady Fri 17-May-13 14:59:26

I think he needs to cut the apron strings
6.30pm -7.30pm is perfectly acceptable imo for a school night

Thos who at 5pm? do you all get in early from work? or do you eat separately from the children?

seeker Fri 17-May-13 15:02:25

If you eat at 5 aren't you starving by bedtime?

IneedAsockamnesty Fri 17-May-13 15:03:06

I would think it very strange eating so early, nobody in this house gets dinner before about 7.

I don't know how people manage to eat at 5?

I don't finish work til 5, I'm not home til 5:30. It seems a funny time to eat dinner.

seeker Fri 17-May-13 15:05:21

7's quite early for us- always has been since they stopped being toddlers.

Unami Fri 17-May-13 15:05:25

I don't understand why so many people in this country seem to be obsessed with eating dinner very early. I can't imagine eating dinner at 5pm (that's snack time, not dinner time for us). Personally, I think that national consumption of ready meals/convenience food is largely due to the early meal time thing, as it is bloody hard if not impossible to prepare a freshly cooked meal to serve at 5pm, if you don't finish work till three or four - and most people don't finish anything like that early, so I don't see how people make it work at all, unless they work at home, do full-time childcare.

Nothing wrong with eating ready meals if that is what you choose to do and enjoy, but I do feel the dinner at 5 culture is stopping a lot of people from cooking fresh food.

If I ate my dinner at 5, id be hungry by 8pm.

Do you all go to bed early as well?

seeker Fri 17-May-13 15:06:42

Ditto. Tantrums. We'd all be desperate for supper!

SlimFitWellies Fri 17-May-13 15:08:02

I agree with, well, everyone. If your DH is complaining, tell him to cook. And 5 pm? Most people are still at work or getting home are they not? Say you prefer to eat as an entire family.

FWIW- we eat about 7. And DC3 is not quite 3 years old. It suits us. He has a snack at about 4 pm of fruit and hummus and breadsticks and is fine to eat at 7. Bed by 8.

Er, your husband is insane

Sorry that's probably not very helpful

forevergreek Fri 17-May-13 15:15:59

Ditto we never et edited 7 as not back from work until 6.30/7

LaQueen Fri 17-May-13 15:17:20

Pah...if my DH came home, to find dinner on the table at 6.30pm (or at any time, to be honest) he'd think he'd walked into the wrong house, or that I had pranged the car.

As for 'he doesn't want his Mum to tell him, off' - is your DH 12 years, or something hmm

Is your MIL's life so barren and empty, that she finds the minute details of when/where you all eat actually interesting, or of any importance hmm

Or, is she so pathetic that she feels that this is some sort of bizarre Better Mum contest that she is winning hmm

If the most praiseworthy thing my DH, or my DDs, could think of to say about me was that she gets the dinner on the table before 6.00pm every night - I would think I had epically failed as a person, wife and mother.

neunundneunzigluftballons Fri 17-May-13 15:20:09

Dinner is at 6 or 6.30 every day in my house, sometimes the kids eat in their pjs if we are have 'haute cuisine?' which takes longer to cook. I mostly get in from work around 6 so otherwise they would starve.

kmdwestyorks Fri 17-May-13 15:22:39

Feeling the need to lie to his mum about it is more wierd than wanting his dinner at 6.00pm.

Did she make him go hungry if he wasn't at the table on time?

any why the assumption you should always make it?

LadyClariceCannockMonty Fri 17-May-13 15:23:06

I also want to know why he has to pretend he's eaten, why he has to answer the phone if it rings while you're eating and why he can't make dinner himself if he has a problem with its current timing.

Do you not all eat together?
At that age we would all sit down at about 7. If you are preparing two sittings there is no wonder you are busy.

Chandon Fri 17-May-13 15:31:13

This is weird. Your h sounds weird.,

Also, as a mum of kids same age as yours, is it really that hard to " keep them quiet" whilst Dh has a call? I manage calls with my Dc in the house and nobody shushing them. Most days anyway wink....

What time would it suit the kids to eat? Mine can last until 6:30 if they have a decent snack ( sandwich and biscuit) at 4. Wen do they get hungry? I'd take it from there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now