to be hoping to be blacklisted soon

(183 Posts)
hopingnothopping Fri 17-May-13 12:25:10

Despite being registered with the TPS, I have had a spate of cold callers lately: people saying they are from Microsoft and want to repair my Windows computer (a common fraud), and others telling me that they have £x with my name on it due to mis-selling of PPI. I have never taken out PPI.

I have adopted a new approach which has produced interesting results.

I ask if they have a degree (so far they all have), then what they had hoped to do with their lives when they were younger, whether their mother knows what they do for a job and whether she is proud of them? I then calmly and politely suggest that they look for a job where they can do good and be proud of their work, and hold their heads up high with their families.

I have had the following responses:

Edward: Gosh, yes, I feel dreadful, I need to get another job. (I liked Edward)
William: I am doing this because my country didn't invade your country and take all your wealth 35 years ago but your lot did that to us. I hate the British for what they have done to us (he was full of vitriol that came spewing out)
Sammy: shouted at me to stay out of her life (poor Sammy seemed very stressed but her logic was remarkable when you consider that SHE phoned ME whilst I was in my own kitchen minding my own business).

So AIBU to hope I will soon be blacklisted from these fraudsters' phone lists on the basis that I upset their staff? It seems quite effective.

BTW I wouldn't be this mean to an "honest" cold caller just trying to sell me something but these guys were all working for criminal gangs and must have known it.

Cloverer Fri 17-May-13 13:18:21

flippinada - it is theft! It's a con, it's illegal, vulnerable fall for it.

Do you feel this bad for shoplifters I wonder?

RedPencils Fri 17-May-13 13:18:24

You may not like it, but it's not theft.

My ILs fell for the Microsoft one. They paid them £100 to 'fix a virus' that they didn't have. Maybe not theft, but definitely fraud. How woud you describe it?

Cloverer Fri 17-May-13 13:19:44

The OP is hardly blowing a whistle down the phone. Who cares if she is a tiny bit patronising to scammers?

FanjoForTheMammaries Fri 17-May-13 13:22:25

i don't care because i feel sorry for the scammers.

Was just a teeny bit cringy.

flippinada Fri 17-May-13 13:25:24

I thought we were talking about cold callers who (while annoying) are just doing a job.

If people are scamming folk over the phone then that is criminal and I wouldn't bother being polite to folk like that..although I'd be very careful about what I said to someone who maybe had my address and other details especially if there's a suspicion they aren't legitimate.

flippinada Fri 17-May-13 13:28:53

Hey squoosh yes I am "for real", I just have a different opinion to you.

JenaiMorris Fri 17-May-13 13:29:36

YANBU.

We are plagued by these people to the extent that I have had to unplug my landline.

These aren't people trying to earn an honest if irritating dollar by flogging double glazing, these are fraudsters.

I have some sympathy for people who find themselves being the organ grinder's monkey, but it's still an unpleasant business.

They can also be extrememly rude - we started unplugging the landline because a couple of them genuinely upset poor ds who at 11 really didn't know how to handle them.

Pigsmummy Fri 17-May-13 13:29:46

TPS was set up by Ofcom, if you continue to get calls just ask them for their name and number then report to TPS. Tell the caller that younger doing that.

Pigsmummy Fri 17-May-13 13:30:16

Younger = you are

SusanneLinder Fri 17-May-13 13:31:29

Fraid I am bloody rude to cold callers.

I never ever tick the, I want to be called box on anything I buy etc, I am registered with TPS blah blah, and I still get calls. I used to be polite, I have told them that we are registered with TPS, and I have had everything from "Oh sorry" and then they ring back later.I did report them to TPS for all the good it did, so it will depend on what mood I am in on what reaction they get. grin.

If they phone during a DD meltdown/cooking dinner/just in from work or end of my fave Tv prog then I am ruder than normal.

Otherwise I hang up.

Personally I don't give a rats arse if thats all the job they can get, I would rather clean the street with my tongue than annoy someone with about 6 calls a day. I didn't ask them to call me, they are invading my privacy and my precious time so they can do one. I draw the line at whistling down a phone though cos thats mean.

I do admit to being a grumpy mare though grin

Cloverer Fri 17-May-13 13:31:55

The OP very clearly mentions "Microsoft" and PPI scammers.

I do think there is a difference between people who are cold-calling to try to sell you something, and those who want to defraud you (the microsoft scam springs to mind here). Why do the latter deserve consideration and gentle handling?

Yes, people need to work, but could any of the people on this thread who think the OP was unreasonable, honestly say that they would take a job that required them to try to defraud innocent people?

flippinada Fri 17-May-13 13:36:37

I think it's entirely fair enough to find cold callers (note..cold callers, not scammers) rude, annoying and intrusive.

Once again though I really don't understand why you can't just screen calls or just put the phone down.

SilverOldie Fri 17-May-13 13:38:22

The last 'microsoft' call I had, I played stupid and kept them online for over half an hour, figured it would bump up their telephone bill nicely.

Of course people need work but not at the expense of the people they are calling.

JenaiMorris Fri 17-May-13 13:39:21

Pigs TPS only have powers in the UK. These callers are generally from offshore outfits.

Flippinada - I suppose one argument is that, if the scammer is being kept on the phone talking to the OP, they aren't on the phone talking to someone more vulnerable who might fall for their tricks.

NetworkGuy Fri 17-May-13 13:40:56

flip - "I thought we were talking about cold callers who (while annoying) are just doing a job."

In the opening of the OP's post she wrote "they are from Microsoft and want to repair my Windows computer (a common fraud),"

I've had someone claiming that. Told them "I have a linux machine" (I also have iMac and Windows, but knew there was no way MickeySoft would have my number anyway).

Worst for me have been calls from the "Female Health Company" in N America as they ring my 0800 number and I get charged for their calls. They make 'female condoms' but having rung them and left voicemail requesting they stop calling, they still carry on... Major pain. OK, the cost isn't major but the number has not even been promoted (by me) anyway, and I've sorted out some web listings for previous firms (some being chased by solicitors or debt collectors, those calls also costing me money each call)...

polkadotsrock Fri 17-May-13 13:41:27

I've had some incredibly rude and persistent calls lately. One chap
accused me of lying when I assured him no accident had occurred. I can imagine some vulnerable people would fall into these traps and be led a merry dance by these people in their 'jobs' so they'll get zero sympathy from me if the OP wants to challenge their choices. They too are free to hang up if they don't like it.

flippinada Fri 17-May-13 13:42:22

See all of this playing games, keep them on the phone, lecture them about how they shouldn't be doing the job etc...why bother?

If your own time is so precious, why spend it having a conversation you don't want to have about something you're not interested in instead of just putting the phone down?

flippinada Fri 17-May-13 13:43:45

Yeah, I get them, but I just put the phone down (if I pick it up in the first place). Job done.

Why engage?

FunnysInLaJardin Fri 17-May-13 13:43:54

OP YANBU. Nasty people praying on the vunerable

Judezx Fri 17-May-13 13:45:39

Once I received an overseas phone call scam thing from a man with the most crazy sounding accent. I honestly thought it was my husband pranking me and I was laughing along, until I realised it wasn't him.

Another time I received another overseas scam phone call. She asked to speak to my husband and I told her he wasn't in. He wasn't. She chose to disbelieve me, went crazy, I hung up and after that she kept ringing me all night and then several times a day. She would just ring and not speak. I ended up having to change my number. I wasn't actually rude to her but now I am super keen to be polite in case it's another deranged, grudge bearing telesales nutter.

NetworkGuy Fri 17-May-13 13:49:38

"These callers are generally from offshore outfits." Hoowever, apart from the Microsoft scam calls, most PPI calls are passed on to firms of solicitors in the UK. Indeed most which relate to insurance and similar claims would be.

On Radio 4 the other day, someone working from home had given the cold caller duff info, to get on to the organisation using them (and paying them for the "lead"). Eventually had the contact details of a firm of solicitors, explained how it was an agent in their employ who made the call, and billed them for 120 quid (one hour's consultancy) based on the time spent on the phone talking to different people, and interruption to his work.

Once he had billed them, his accounting software sent out reminders, and when it got to final warning before legal action, they coughed up. So yes, the originating call might be from overseas (so that 'Number Withheld' doesn't get shown and the calling firm is ignoring the TPS anyway) but if the resulting business is in the UK, I suspect a small claims court might consider a case against them, as the methods used break the rules of the TPS.

TPS may not have big teeth, as it is pretty much voluntary in the sense unscrupulous firms may aim to avoid it, but if there are dozens, let alone hundreds or thousands of claims made against those who are paying for the marketing "lead" (eg the PPI claim firms, not the cold caller) then pretty quickly the whole thing could die from the cease of contract between firms of solicitors etc and those making the calls.

StealthOfficialCrispTester Fri 17-May-13 13:50:29

I wish theyd call mil. Theres no way theyd be ableto explain clearly enough so she coukd follow :-D she once rang us to tell us her "turtle had disappeared" and expected us to fix it. When I made a vain attempt she said sadly "I thought you knew about computers"

flippinada Fri 17-May-13 13:50:40

I must admit since making my initial, admittedly stroppy, post that I'm shocked at some of the stories on here, what people have dealt with.

I've had the occasional call which has been a bit irritating but nothing like these.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now