to be hoping to be blacklisted soon

(183 Posts)
hopingnothopping Fri 17-May-13 12:25:10

Despite being registered with the TPS, I have had a spate of cold callers lately: people saying they are from Microsoft and want to repair my Windows computer (a common fraud), and others telling me that they have £x with my name on it due to mis-selling of PPI. I have never taken out PPI.

I have adopted a new approach which has produced interesting results.

I ask if they have a degree (so far they all have), then what they had hoped to do with their lives when they were younger, whether their mother knows what they do for a job and whether she is proud of them? I then calmly and politely suggest that they look for a job where they can do good and be proud of their work, and hold their heads up high with their families.

I have had the following responses:

Edward: Gosh, yes, I feel dreadful, I need to get another job. (I liked Edward)
William: I am doing this because my country didn't invade your country and take all your wealth 35 years ago but your lot did that to us. I hate the British for what they have done to us (he was full of vitriol that came spewing out)
Sammy: shouted at me to stay out of her life (poor Sammy seemed very stressed but her logic was remarkable when you consider that SHE phoned ME whilst I was in my own kitchen minding my own business).

So AIBU to hope I will soon be blacklisted from these fraudsters' phone lists on the basis that I upset their staff? It seems quite effective.

BTW I wouldn't be this mean to an "honest" cold caller just trying to sell me something but these guys were all working for criminal gangs and must have known it.

hopingnothopping Fri 17-May-13 12:59:06

olgaga good advice, thank you.

soverylucky Fri 17-May-13 12:59:51

soul searching seriously?

You think they want to do that job? You do not know what has led them to that job and therefore you should refrain from being their moral guardian.

FanjoForTheMammaries Fri 17-May-13 12:59:52

People who do that sort of thing aren't likely to have a sudden epiphany and stop doing it because you question them, sadly.

NoelHeadbands Fri 17-May-13 13:01:19

Oh honestly, like any one of them gives a shit

fancyabakeoff Fri 17-May-13 13:02:40

Yes I have one and its really good. There are hundreds of blacklisted cold caller numbers already pre-programmed into it so if you do nothing else it cuts down a lot of calls but you can also block any unwanted numbers permantely by pressing the block now button on the unit whilst on a call to them (love doing that! grin.

International residential should be fine. You can put in codes to tailor what type of calls you want blocked.

Have a look at the reviews on Amazon.

www.amazon.co.uk/CPR-Global-CPR106-All-in-One-Blocker/dp/B004BTVQ5E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368791875&sr=8-1&keywords=cpr+call+blocker

Sorry about the long link, in a rush as I'm supposed to be going out not arsing about on MN.

SabrinaMulhollandJjones Fri 17-May-13 13:03:51

I generally do the 'no thanks, bye' and hangup.

But a while back the Microsoft scammers phoned me every day for about a week. Eventually, I did lose it blush and shouted 'oh for god's sake, everyone knows this is a scam!' And hung up. Probs a coincidence, but they haven't called since.

Sadly though, not everyone does know it's a scam. These callers prey on the vulnerable sad

hopingnothopping Fri 17-May-13 13:04:54

soverylucky true I do not know what has led them to take that job and I agree that they probably don't want it. But that does not make it okay to try to defraud people.

I am not sure what the solution is - more legitimate trade with countries that have no welfare system might be one way.

But I do think that sometimes people make bad choices and then get into a habit that perhaps a little reflection would jolt them out of. Possibly a longshot but it seems better than leaving them free from guilt phoning the next old lady and stealing her money. I know if one phoned my DM she would def hand over her computer password and think she had found a knight in shining armour. Their patter is very believable - they are from Microsoft and want to solve the problems you have been having lately with your computer and need to install an update remotely to make it work faster......

JamNan Fri 17-May-13 13:05:29

They are not bona fide callers - they are telling lies and they drive me mad because I work from home. Hanging up doesn't work for us as they call again. We recently were given a small toy dog that barks when you squeeze it. He now sits by the phone and when one of these annoying callers phones they get the barking dog treatment. They soon stop wasting my time; in fact I only get about one or two of these calls a week now instead of up to five a day.

flippinada Fri 17-May-13 13:05:44

Frankly, you sound like a thoroughly nasty piece of work. Have you ever had yo do a job you don't like just to pay the bills?

Yes the calls can be irritating but there's need to be unpleasant. Either don't answer the phone or just say no thank you, it's not hard.

I don't imagine you'd feel feel quite so pleased with your smug self if you did that though.

Does working in a criminal gang really count as a job? hmm

These scammers are no different from muggers, cheating people into giving out their passwords so they can steal money from them. I wouldn't be as polite as the OP TBH.

hopingnothopping Fri 17-May-13 13:07:38

flippinada no, I have never had to compromise my honesty in a job. Yes, I have been very poor and done all sorts of unpleasant jobs to survive, but never one that involves stealing from other people.

Have you?

hopingnothopping Fri 17-May-13 13:09:02

fancyabakeoff thanks for taking the time to post those links. I will get one for me and one for my DM too.

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 17-May-13 13:09:18

flip It's not a job, it's theft!

Do you have the same approach to pickpockets, burglars, muggers etc?

JerseySpud Fri 17-May-13 13:10:29

i love cold callers offering me conservatories, insurance, etc etc

Because when it comes to my 'area' suddenly they realise that im in the Channel Islands...

flippinada Fri 17-May-13 13:12:11

No, I've never done work like this, and I'm very thankful that I have a decent job and don't need to.

The answer it's quite simple - if it bothers you that much, screen calls or just put the phone down.

I had one cold caller who wouldn't take 'No' for an answer, and wouldn't agree to take my name off his list unless I gave him more details - which I didn't want to do. He interrupted me, talked over me, and wouldn't listen, so I put the phone down on the table next to me and let him carry on squawking to himself, until he realised no-one was listening, and hung up.

About 5-10 minutes later the phone rang again, and I had a gut feeling that it was the same chap, so I answered the phone in French - and lo and behold it was the same man, so I carried on the whole call in French, but in my own voice, iyswim, so he knew it was still me, until he gave up and hung up on me. He didn't call back.

JerseySpud Fri 17-May-13 13:12:58

i also remember one company that wouldn't take no for an answer. They kept calling even when we said 'no thank you' and hung up, they rang at 3am (bloke on the phone sounded american)

Best of it was they were trying to sell us a phone line. Which we couldn't have had if we wanted. Because at the time there was only Jersey Telecom here :\

flippinada Fri 17-May-13 13:13:31

You may not like it, but it's not theft.

RedPencils Fri 17-May-13 13:14:16

Cold calling is an utterly shit job, so I'm not rude to them. I usually go with 'no thanks, please remove my name from your list'. If they are arsey with me, I just hang up. Although I did say to a youngster who came to my door trying to sell me new windows, that he should pack this job in and get a proper job because his bosses were exploiting him and he was never going to make the £££ commission they told him he would. I was being nice though not arsey.

One of my colleagues recently had one of those Microsoft calls on his mobile at work. He's an IT programmer, so could run rings around them with the IT bollocks. Had them on speaker phone talking absolute shit for about 20 minutes before they gave up. was very funny.

EauRouge Fri 17-May-13 13:15:56

TPS only covers callers from the UK, not from overseas.

I used to get 4 or 5 calls a day. I take calls for a charity so I always pick up the phone. It was getting pretty tedious when I was getting so many sales calls, they were intrusive and inconvenient. I got one at 4am once, the fuckers. They've reduced a lot since I just started telling people they had the wrong number. I might tell them I'm dead next though, just for some variety grin

The microsoft scammers get a massive lecture though. If I can keep them on the phone for a while it means they're not ripping off someone else. It's always a dead giveaway when they mention my PC- I haven't got one!

squoosh Fri 17-May-13 13:16:05

Flippinada God forbid people be rude to CRIMINALS WHO ARE TRYING TO DEFRAUD THEM!

My heart fucking bleeds.

Are you for real?????? hmm hmm

FanjoForTheMammaries Fri 17-May-13 13:16:52

LOL yes, I thought OP was a bit patronising but my heart is hardly bleeding for the fraudsters tbh grin

squoosh Fri 17-May-13 13:17:09

Flippinada the Windows scam is in fact theft.

Happy to help.

DeafLeopard Fri 17-May-13 13:17:20

The OP isn't talking about callers ringing up trying to sell double glazing / insurance etc.

The cold callers are ringing up trying to defraud people.

Saying that jobs are hard to come by etc is like saying it is ok to shoplift / pickpocket / clone credit cards cos jobs are hard to come by.

You may not like it, but it's not theft

What is it then? Fraud? Whatever it is, it's illegal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now